Roy's Keen - (rare version)

I am a Ghost

This might have been posted before;I'm not a fan of the song, so I wouldn't have noticed. :)

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/97BnTdSnYyo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/97BnTdSnYyo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Sounds like the same vocal (other than the preliminary babbling). I'm not a fan of the song, at all, but I do think it benefited from this much scrappier approach. The original is clean and over-produced to the point of, I don't know... Del Amitri?

It's the radio session version from KROQ 'Modern Rock Live', August 1997.
Lovely to hear again.
I can't help it, I'm a fan of the song. :o

Anyone else think that the lyrics are the ONLY thing wrong with this song?

I really like it musically. :rolleyes:

The lyrics are the BEST thing about this song!
Some lyricists desperately yearn to ape Raymond Carver or Flann O'Connor or William Gibson or Martin Amis or whoevaah...I just like the fact that with 'Roy's Keen' Morrissey is proudly channeling Talbot Rothwell. :thumb:

Great version, and unusual because on the only other live versions I've heard they cut out the middle eight section. I think maybe he had trouble reaching the high notes.
I'm still pissed off that it wasn't included on the Maladjusted reissue, while the lyrics are a bit odd the music is fantastic.

Great version, and unusual because on the only other live versions I've heard they cut out the middle eight section. I think maybe he had trouble reaching the high notes.
I'm still pissed off that it wasn't included on the Maladjusted reissue, while the lyrics are a bit odd the music is fantastic.

It's funny how this song was cut off the Maladjusted reissue but Dagenham Dave remains on the Southpaw Grammar reissue :crazy:

In all reality though, I wish the reissues contained ALL songs from their respective sessions, good and bad. It'd be so nice to have a CD titled 'Maladjusted: The Complete Sessions'.

I like the song musically, too. The lyrics are a bit hard to get into, although I do find myself singing along. It sounds good but is just a bit strange. Maybe I just don't understand the lyrics.

I would suggest Roy's Keen one of Morrisseys best pieces of his most original solo-work Southpaw/Maladjusted-era.

Excluding Papa Jack and Roy's Keen off the re-mastered Maladjusted re-issue, makes no sense whatsoever to me. As I've said before, Moz has never given the fans what they want so why should start now when they the fans have expressed dislike about these two songs. Personally, I love these songs. I don't see anything wrong with them and it would have been grand to have them included on this re-mastered re-issue but that's just my opinion.

My only hope is Universal/Island reissues the original album someday, :guitar:

Excluding Papa Jack and Roy's Keen off the re-mastered Maladjusted re-issue, makes no sense whatsoever to me. As I've said before, Moz has never given the fans what they want so why should start now when they the fans have expressed dislike about these two songs. Personally, I love these songs. I don't see anything wrong with them and it would have been grand to have them included on this re-mastered re-issue but that's just my opinion.

My only hope is Universal/Island reissues the original album someday, :guitar:

He doesn't like the song himself and has stated so in an interview.

Thanks for the version.

Roy's Keen is a howler of a Morrissey song and by a country mile the WORST single he has ever released.

To be honest I can't think of one phrase to utter in it's defence.

Every artist looks back on their careers and can see mistakes in it and I'm sure Moz would cringe if he ever listened to it again.

I applaud the fact he left it off the updated Maladjusted as it really is a critical low point.

For a lyricist of Morrissety's calibre it is dreadful.

Actually I have thought of 2 good points.Beautiful cover for the 12" and excellent extra tracks.

Back
Top Bottom