Royal Oak, MI - Music Theatre (Dec. 18, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / When Last I Spoke To Carol / You're The One For Me, Fatty / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Black Cloud / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Satellite Of Love / People Are The Same Everywhere / Maladjusted / You Have Killed Me / Speedway / All The Lazy Dykes / Meat Is Murder / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Scandinavia / I Know It's Over / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell // Still Ill

set list provided by an anonymous person

Last edited:
Is it possible that anyone out there in Morrissey-solo land can stop calling each other names long enough to answer the following query?
Who/what was that picture was that was sometimes used as a backdrop (and on the drum)? I'm dying to know...
Also, I'd LOVE a list of those videos that were shown pre-concert. I know a few (the NY Dolls, Sparks, Bridget Bardot) but what were the others?
Much obliged to anyone who can help.

Antony Franciosa in the movie Senilita (Careless) 1962

And somewhere near the mainpage of allyouneedismorrissey.com they have compiled the videos and intro music.

Antony Franciosa in the movie Senilita (Careless) 1962

And somewhere near the mainpage of allyouneedismorrissey.com they have compiled the videos and intro music.

THANKS for the information. It was my fist Morrissey show and I LOVED it. Yeah, the crowd could have been better, yeah the night ended on a sour note...but DAMN was that some fantastic music. His voice sounded terrific and the band was outstanding. Hope this doesn't scare him away from the Detroit area.
and since there seems to be some quite knowledgeable people in the room...what was up the the green "UCLA..." shirts on the band?

Yo, it's el perrito again. About this, I'm going to go out on a limb> is it possible that that "fat pig" (dixit BB) the guard, was just trying to do his job? Well maybe not everyone is aware of what is customary at a Morrissey show? That's, allowing stage invasions? Is there a memo on that for dumb, uneducated security guards who don't listen to that sort of music at home and just want to act like dumb tough bossy chief of security men like they're used to, "boooo" yeah right.
And on another page, someone mentioned someone probably losing their job for bringing a plate of meat in a room where a vegeterian was ? What was that about? Do we really need another diva increasing unemployment figures? At the moment? with 6.9 billion peeps on earth?
I mean, reality check. There are people trying to live day by day, trying to make a living, and not all of them are Morrissey fans. That not very bright "fat pig" could have been Boz Boorer if Morrissey hadn't given him a permanent job. Could even have been Morrissey.
Reminds me of that story about that girl he and Johnny made cry because she hadn't booked good enough rooms for them.

And you wonder why working people hate your guts when they get up in the morning? And I'm not even talking about me, I can never be really that awake.

It's just surreal. Surreal. Take a look out there and check how people actually live and work.
I see plenty of security guards obviously unprepared to do a good job, (with undernourished dogs), everyday. It's obvious they do that because no other job is there for them. If Boz Boorer wants to spare some cash and start a school to train proper security guards instead of just kicking: don't let my bashing stop ya.

Been dying to know where the money goes.

I was front row on the left side (in fact, this happened right underneath my nose) and I can say that the dude at the end was not beaten, god..
He was just mishandled and dropped. But, obviously he was flailing pretty much everywhere and when the security grabbed him in that way, it was bound to happen...

THANKS for the information. It was my fist Morrissey show and I LOVED it. Yeah, the crowd could have been better, yeah the night ended on a sour note...but DAMN was that some fantastic music. His voice sounded terrific and the band was outstanding. Hope this doesn't scare him away from the Detroit area.
and since there seems to be some quite knowledgeable people in the room...what was up the the green "UCLA..." shirts on the band?

Maybe an anagrammed nod to the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION? Dunno...

I was a Morrissey first timer and was NOT disappointed. "First of the Gang" is one of my all time favorite songs and seeing/hearing it live is now one of my all time favorite live music moments.

Well then, you will really like the song it is most blatantly ripped from: TRASH by SUEDE from the year 1996. I mean, come on!
Hear for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PdKGDMhau4
*I am a HUGE Moz fan, but I have always found this to be unacceptable.

Alma matters?

Wow! Even if it isn't correct, interesting call on the "UCLA" "ACLU" anagram.
Just thought it weird they all had them on (doubt it's an alma mater), they were green (UCLA colors Blue/Yellow), and they were basically addresses reading
"UCLA Westwood Los Angeles CA 90025"
Odd. but again, thanks for the insight.

I'm from Michigan and suburbs of Detroit, and also happen to be the most observant person in the world. From this I can deduce:

1) Royal Oak is a lost cause. It used to be a hip place maybe over ten years ago or so (more like 20), but the lamest of people hang out there now. Conservatives and people who have no clue about anything; their only routine in life is to go out drinking cheap bear. STAY AWAY!!! Ann Arbor or midtown Detroit would have been better.

2) As far as people putting down 'abandoned Michigan'. I can tell you right now that Detroit will be the next Portland, just more gritty and with even less corporate and mainstream influence. It's already the place for starving artists to go. Midtown is constantly offering more and more. As more and more young American are realizing they need to find a new American society; Detroit will be at the forefront, and practically free from the corporate, greedy, yuppie-disease that plagues cities everywhere.

Long-live Detroit, just avoid the suburbs, they're horrible!!

I wish someone from Morrissey's camp reads this and understands not to do Royal Oak anymore.

Good luck with your city. I know many people knock Detroit but maybe because it has something. I have been there a few times to concerts and felt it to be a lively crowd. I couldn't imagine English musicians from yesteryear forgetting about Motown just like that.

It's a shame the poor hip people of Ann Arbor or midtown Detroit couldn't figure out how to find their way to Royal Oak for the show.

Actually a lot of people in Ann Arbor are students and don't have cars. And secondly, a lot of people refuse to go to Oakland County. It's a yuppie Republican shit hole, with a few pockets of older liberals. Of all the times Morrissey played around Detroit the past five years, the Royal Oak show a few years back was the worst experience. And so I didn't go this time!!

it was a bunk show, filled with so so self indulgent new stuff and a lecture as usual on meat ending in a hissy bitch fit.
nice way to end the tour. i saw you last time same place and you were brilliant. i feel sorry for all those who trusted
others enough to go see you for the first time. really bunk and bush league show and kathleen what ever was further
punishment.

it was a bunk show, filled with so so self indulgent new stuff and a lecture as usual on meat ending in a hissy bitch fit.
nice way to end the tour. i saw you last time same place and you were brilliant. i feel sorry for all those who trusted
others enough to go see you for the first time. really bunk and bush league show and kathleen what ever was further
punishment.

agree 100% pretty unprofessional.

It's a shame the poor hip people of Ann Arbor or midtown Detroit couldn't figure out how to find their way to Royal Oak for the show.

I found my way there pretty well. And I dunno what that dude is talking about. In the Detroit area you have only two types of places. URBAN WASTELAND and GENTRIFIED HIPSTERVILLE. I myself will take the over priced coffee over the abandoned buildings, gangs and guns in the small of the back. Sign me up for gentrified hipstervilles like Ann Arbor AND Royal Oak. :guitar:And thanks.

Is it possible that anyone out there in Morrissey-solo land can stop calling each other names long enough to answer the following query?
Who/what was that picture was that was sometimes used as a backdrop (and on the drum)? I'm dying to know...
Also, I'd LOVE a list of those videos that were shown pre-concert. I know a few (the NY Dolls, Sparks, Bridget Bardot) but what were the others?
Much obliged to anyone who can help.

The Elvis like Rockabilly performer was the great Vince Taylor. There was a Nico video, a Sparks video, Blue Ash...

Try here - http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/topic/4588483/2/ .
If this triggers any more memories or you definitely don't think some in the list were shown, let us know. :guitar:
yes,we are still compiling over there cause different to the Uk we dont have a full list of everything from the Us tour
, so some of it is guessing that he kept some stuff from the UK on his pe music..until we are informed otherwise.
at least we now learrned a lot of the pre music tape has changed. so still urging those who attend to report
the changes/ add/or extractions on the intermission thread on aynim or on solo (tour section) where i opened
a US tour intermission thread (which is now merched by a mod with the UK intermission"tour intro" thread
)..I One last time:anyone know the exit musiv? klaus nomi , sinatra or ...al least a description will help. thanks.

hope you had a good time!still ill and maladjusted must have sounded wonderful live....

Morning all.Being from near Manchester but now living in Oakland county and a Morrissey /Smiths fan from around '84 I can say for me it was a very mixed bag.Royal Oak does seem to be wanker central for the most part on any given day.The audience were part Morrissey fans and real music fans but there was a very heavy amount of bellends in attendance .The Kid Rock / Country fans stood next to me at the F.O.H. desk really must have been very confused as they spent most of the event taking pictures of themselves getting more and more hammered and constantly texting.Anyways it was great to see proper fans having a good time as well.A good selection of tunes.I especially was Impressed by the playing of M.I.M. , It did seem that a lot of people near to me though did not like the message or the video but I guess that is the point (It worked on me in '87 and I am still proud to be veggie all these years on).I think Morrissey's comment about the Detroit zoo was very unjust,they are without a doubt a honest and caring place with a real love for the animals.With regard to the ending of the show,I was quite pissed off, not by the fact the lad walked off stage but the lack off piss and vinegar about it.I really would have thought the best situation for him would have been to make the end of the tour triumphant from a shite situation ,he should have had the house lights raised and a proper ridiculing of the security and the house management (or lack of) and perhaps even pointing the clowns out, after that he could have resumed normal service and make a bad situation good.The sound was top notch for sure with the exception of Ms Young which in my opinion could only have been made listenable if the P.A. had actually been turned off.

Morrissey's a good lad and a hero of mine so all in all it was a good do.

Sparks

so this was Morrissey's 2012 tourNecesarily have to sign a deal, sure there are options, but Morrisseyhas a few issues in recorddeals he never will give up.Once afternot touring Vauxhall, I thought , he's never gonna tour, Morrisseyreturned back a year later.Now I'm a bit puzzled, one thing I'm definately looking forward is his biography,which said dec 2012, 1 yearMusicly, I think it's time to get some new people around him, if he makes a recorddeal,at least one new guitarist, or Alain back...Boz has done too much, Jesse is not really a good musical writer.Maybe, and that's what I dearly hope, now is the time Morrissey and Marr have bothtime and can do something together, wehterf or 1 song for a movie or a tour, it's now or never everregarding the lyricist and musical writer of the SmithsI wish you people all here on solo fine festive days [meat is murder] all best wishes and hopesfor 2012, musicly would be fine.Viva Morrissey, Viva The Smiths, Viva solo...:guitar:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom