Roxy Music, what happened?

dallow_bg

the one he left behind
I've always said I was a big fan of Roxy Music, but then I've only ever really owned the first 3 albums (Roxy Music, For Your Pleasure, Stranded).

I was told by my record store buddies to never stray past that, to resist my strong urges to pick up Country Life because of all the rave reviews, it's classic status. And all the albums after it.

Finally picked up Country Life last night and wow. I can barely listen to it.

Anyone else stick to Eno-era Roxy Music?
I realize Eno left after the second album, but Stranded still retains a bit of that experimentalization I loved from the first two albums.

I've heard they're trying, on and off to record new material, with Eno having a hand in it as well. Hmm.

Last edited:
Bryan Ferry just got a bit carried away with himself, unfortunatly.

Country Life is way better than anything else they put out. IMO at least.

Country Life is freaking awesome... give it a chance to grow on ya...
It has it's treasures... My personal fav is Siren the 5th Roxy Music CD. She Sells is a really yummy track.

Ferry was also unique, because he would released solo stuff in between Roxy albums...

Another Time, Another Place is my fav song of his, which can be found on the album of the same name. Another time another place, is another solo treasure.

As far as disappointments go Flesh+Blood was the most disappointing Roxy album...

Kumo

My 1st Roxy album was Avalon, which I still consider excellent. For Your Pleasure is great also

My 1st Roxy album was Avalon, which I still consider excellent. For Your Pleasure is great also

It was my first at the time, too. I had to work my way backwards, because I was a fan of his later stuff before I went back to their early work.

He is coming out with an album of Dylan covers soon. I'm curious, having only just begun listening to Dylan not long ago!

Country Life is freaking awesome... give it a chance to grow on ya...
It has it's treasures... My personal fav is Siren the 5th Roxy Music CD. She Sells is a really yummy track.

Ferry was also unique, because he would released solo stuff in between Roxy albums...

Another Time, Another Place is my fav song of his, which can be found on the album of the same name. Another time another place, is another solo treasure.

As far as disappointments go Flesh+Blood was the most disappointing Roxy album...

Kumo

Oh yes, I still love Ferry's "to-die-for" voice. But musically it hardly does anything for me.
I will give it more chance though.

I think I would like Avalon because it's much different animal than any other Roxy album.

Their first 2 albums are definitely their best, and their only truly 'essential' albums, if you will.
However, all of their subsequent albums have their moments.
Got to love Country Life for its cover, and Prairie Rose is a great song.
Avalon I love too, and is probably their most consistent late album.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah. I bet the last thing the Jews were thinking before being gassed to death was, "Wow, that SS officer sure looks dapper."

i wish i had all their albums, i only have flesh and blood and a greatest hits. First are the smiths, morrissey, then the others....

Ferry's cover of She's leaving home has do go down in history as one of the very few covers to be better than the original.

Kumo

Back
Top Bottom