"Rourke - Joyce - Gannon / Summer 2018" tweet - Something's going on...

42051_rourke-joyce-gannon.jpg

The Smiths members tease announcement - NME. Link from Shoplifterromo.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not going to happen. i dont know about gannon but the other two are out of shape and wont be able to make it thru a single gig. take my word for it. we had mike here a few years ago to do a dj set, and all he did was eat the free food. i dont think he slept but ate constantly all the free food. he would say things like "are those muffins? would love to sample them, always read about them we dont have them back home in the UK, you see..." we would say sure, have some and hed wolf down the whole lot of them. ate everything, washing it down with Heineken didnt like Bud.....when i asked why was he always so hungry he said he didnt get enough to eat, as food was rationed in his country the UK...... yet he was very rolly polly. set us back a couple of hundred. lol

i would guess he could play for 5 minutes at most before collapsing.

There is no The Smiths without Morrissey...period! There are some singers that are so iconic that any attempt to replace them is completely fruitless. Moz is irreplaceable as far as The Smiths goes. Journey found a singer that could match the vocal talent of Steve Perry, but that is no match for the charisma and presence that Morrissey exudes simply by walking on the stage. Same with INXS. The Smiths was incredibly larger that the sum of the parts.

I know there are The Cure haters here, but Robert Smith is the face and heart of The Cure. I remember seeing them in concert and mesmerized by his performance. There are just a few, very few lead vocalists that elevate a band beyond the sum of its parts. Oasis is an example that showed that either brother can carry the show. The Smiths will always be Morrissey and Marr and any watered down version of that is passable at best.
Couldn't have put it any planer....good touch there I totally agree

Sinead is not well. But she still has a fantastic voice. She sang at Shane Macgowan's huge 60th birthday concert in Dublin last week. Still amazing.

:thumb:

touching. and the crowd encouraging. After seeing some of the videos that she made last year, this is a turn in the right direction. Hard to tell, though hope she's getting better. MUSIC HEALS.

Couldn't have put it any planer....good touch there I totally agree

Let me also say that I am all for the guys getting together to play the music of The Smiths. I think it is great that they may be bringing this great music back again. The sound that changed my life completely. I heard There is a Light at a friends house and that was it! It was almost a religious experience if you know what I mean...and I think that you do.

But there is only one Morrissey. Only one person that breathes life, and one voice that lifts this incredible music into places that no one else walking this Earth could possibly even come close to matching. All the suggestions of replacement singers are fine, but still...

yep.gif

Whatever happens it's good. It might be a good push for Morrissey especially if the press starts trying to treat this like a Smiths reunion, which they probably will. I don't think Morrissey will ever sing with these people again and whatever they have planned I think it shows they have accepted that because this won't make him happy. But maybe it will make him competitive and that would be a good thing.
I hope that Johnny Marr will finally burn that bridge completely and participate in this in some way.

What is truly wonderful about this thread is that absolutely nobody has the slightest f***ing clue WHAT it is, yet here everybody is, blurbling on at the proverbial mouth. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out to be something like a one month special event where they do music lessons for disadvantaged youths at the Salisbury steak boys club?

"Oh yeahr, What I meant to say is what a bunch of top blokes, giving back to the kids and that."

Maybe they are going to open a new tap dancing academy, it is impossible to discard it.
However the chances of some sort of weird "Smiths without M&Ms reunion" sounds like the most reasonable outcome of this announcement.

Maybe they are going to open a new tap dancing academy, it is impossible to discard it.
However the chances of some sort of weird "Smiths without M&Ms reunion" sounds like the most reasonable outcome of this announcement.

No idea what they have planned but if its music and Smiths related, they could go under the banner of The Sound Of The Smiths. Hope it is musical, they would draw a good crowd in Manchester as Mike (with his radio show and DJ sets) and Andy are still seen regularly and well liked around these parts.

No idea what they have planned but if its music and Smiths related, they could go under the banner of The Sound Of The Smiths. Hope it is musical, they would draw a good crowd in Manchester as Mike (with his radio show and DJ sets) and Andy are still seen regularly and well liked around these parts.

'they could go under the banner of The Sound Of The Smiths.'

That would be false advertising.

if i see someone I worked with a long time ago I avoid them like the plague because you know both parties would just be doing the polite thing and the conversation would be awkward and boring.dont see the point of a reunion and I wouldn't be going,it would be a cash grab and nothing else.

Given how bad your punctuation is, I doubt they'd want you there.

Don't quote me but I don't think Morrissey will be lining up to get a handjob from you.
Nor would I expect him to. I have the rough hands of a commoner and I smell like the sweat of my labors. Besides. Damon has dainty paws, and they probably smell of lilacs.

I hear they're giving out handjobs at the train station bathroom to fund their retirement. It's gonna be a tough hill to climb, seeing as how they're only charging 5 squid a squirt.

Sounds fishy to me.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom