Rourke jams with Smiths Tribute band in Brooklyn

Interview with The Cribs backstage at XFM's Winter Wonderland on 9 December, 2009.

Seems like even Johnny and Gary are weighing in on this conversation, before the fact. If you have any desire to hear The Smith's songs played live, your best bet is to go and see tribute bands, like The Sons & Heirs, This Charming Band and The Smiths Indeed, rather than pining for any reunion. :( And if Andy Rourke (or even Mike Joyce) join in, Smiths Romantics should rejoice. :)

No, the best place to hear Smiths songs played live is at a Morrissey gig. With the original singer who wrote them. And his band may not play the songs exactly as they sound note for note on the records, but they play them better than any tribute band will ever manage. That's because they are a real living band with ideas of their own, not a pastiche band.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like that, i am gonna use that, i dont get this hate for Rourke still loving Smiths songs and wanting to play them :confused:
its creepy crazy people who think him jamming with a tribute band was somehow wrong :crazy:

:laughing:
Hahaha...Nah i dont like Rourke and i hate Joyce.

Personally I find your comments about a very talented bassist and tribute band much more offensive than the comments Nugz made.
Aha btw.And what about"Websites dissing Morrissey" thread?Maybe you should post your comments there...

you seem to be in a state of near-constant amazement that other people don't see the world in the same way as you and your wife.

LOL! You're so predictable, you love trying to yank my chain. :lbf:

This really isn't an opinion. People here are defending posting nasty comments where the targets are going to see them. I'm merely saying that has a chance of hurting their feelings. I know you really don't care about hurting people's feelings, other than that you're for it and get a kick from it.

I said: "You can see right in this very thread how the [member] of a band reacts when someone says the musicians play Smiths songs badly." I really don't see how you can argue with this statement, it's right here in this thread in the post from "mistermarr" on page 1. Even if you did disagree with this, I don't see how you can disagree with the statement that there's a CHANCE some people in a band may get their feelings hurt by saying that the band induces cringes. Of COURSE there's a chance. (Not that you care, you enjoy having the chance to hurt others' feelings.)

so its okay to say that the sons and heirs suck, but not morrissey? i highly doubt morrissey gives a shit about what i think anyway. morrissey is a famous musician with tons of fans, who buy all his albums (me included). so i think he'll get over it.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I'd avoid saying that either suck, because no good can really come of it. I'm saying the fact that the Sons & Heirs were upset by such a statement shows that Morrissey might be upset too. (I'm talking excessively harsh unconstructive criticism here.) Even though Moz doesn't play the music on stage, Boz and the others are his friends and his band.

I think Morrissey cares a lot about what people here and elsewhere say and think about him. He's talked about Steve Lillywhite and someone else in the room dissing his singing in the new Southpaw liner notes, clearly it made an impression on him. There's his reaction to the fan who simply said "go fsck yourself" and the other one who threw a cup. Some people say he's overly sensitive and he should get over it, and then others here say he doesn't care what we think.

Some people seem to think that celebrities are magically somehow different from other humans, that all their money and fame somehow insulates them from other people's opinions. Celebrities are humans just like everyone else. There's no shortage of examples of celebrities flipping out at criticism from mere mortals... e.g. endless reality TV shows, George Clooney at a press conference for Solaris, etc. etc. etc. etc.

also, the singer of this band didnt comment on this thread anyway.

You're right, it was the guitarist. Even more reason not to dis the Sons and Heirs' playing.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are so critical of tribute bands...

It's all about the passion- so what if they don't sound/look exactly the same as the original. As long as they do the songs justice surely that is all that counts...? Cover bands, fans, the guy/girl who sits in their room trying to nail that riff by their favourite musician...most of the time their intentions are honourable- it's not a rip off, it's imitation...the sincerest form of flattery, or so they say.

I love tribute bands, and long may they continue. :thumb:

Hahaha...Nah i dont like Rourke and i hate Joyce.

Hate?

What did he ever do to you.

I can't dislike half of the greatest band ever to have graced this planet...the court case was messy and sad but nobody on these forums can claim to know exactly what went on behind closed doors. The only people who have the answer to that are the four members of the band.

I hesitate to wade back into this conversation but to clarify a few things-
- I am the guitar player (hence the "marr")
- I'm not hurt or upset by seeing negative comments. It comes with the territory. Also, responding to them is not the same as saying that you have no right to make them.
- As someone else mentioned, I think it's not necessarily accurate to judge what we do by individual youtube clips out of context, through computer speakers while you are sober, sitting, and maybe alone. If people came to our show and then commented that they had a terrible time and we sucked, that would be much more alarming to me. But everyone who came, including people in the press who wrote about it, had a great time. The mission of a tribute is to provide a live experience not to create video clips to be compared to the original band.
- I hope no one thinks I ever implied or believe we're 'better' than Morrissey and his current band at playing Smiths material. Just different. Everyone values things differently and that's fine. If you love The Smiths simply because you love everything Morrissey does, of course you would prefer to hear him sing his songs any way he likes. I pay to see Moz multiple times every time he swings through NYC and love his shows. If you want to define music narrowly by words and music on paper, then there's no difference in how his band plays The Smiths. But to me his band is reinterpreting the Smiths music. There's a whole generation of guitar players who think Marr's (not to mention rourke and joyce's) original writing and playing are worth celebrating, and one way to do that is to recreate it live and loud. It's not the same as listening to the records. The conversation would be different if Moz did what Paul McCartney does by having his backing band play the Beatles songs as the original Beatles did and playing 3 hour shows of hits. He doesn't. So we try and supplement Moz as a touring act by playing mostly material he doesn't play in a way he doesn't play it. There are some overlaps but generally his set lists are much more weighted to his current records, which we don't touch. So if you want to hear 20 Smiths songs live in one night, and hear the intro riff to "This Charming Man" played as written, currently a tribute is your only option. We're not trying to syphon money and fans from the original artist or put ourselves out there as a 'better' alternative. We've even made a point of doing no-cover afterparties when he tours so your night's money still goes to his t-shirts and stickers.

I hope that clears a couple things up.
Ravi Marr :guitar::guitar:

Let's just enjoy the music... If Andy wanted to get up and play with Sons & Heirs... Good for him! If Sons & Heirs want to play The Smiths music... Good for them! What's the big deal? I was at the show, and everyone had a great time. Isn't that all that matters?

No, the best place to hear Smiths songs played live is at a Morrissey gig. With the original singer who wrote them. And his band may not play the songs exactly as they sound note for note on the records, but they play them better than any tribute band will ever manage. That's because they are a real living band with ideas of their own, not a pastiche band.

I love that I got to hear Morrissey himself singing "This Charming Man" and a few other Smiths songs during the Tour of Refusal (I've only gotten to see him once and am hoping he tours again after some well earned rest), but I wouldn't say that his band plays Smiths songs better than tribute bands. They surely play them differently and may have interesting arrangements and styles that they play them in, but when you get down to it, it's not really the same music.

Don't get me wrong; I worship Morrissey. If I had to choose between hearing him sing his own songs and seeing a tribute band, I'd obviously want to hear Morrissey. However, Morrissey's songs without Marr's guitars and Andy's bass and yes even Joyce's drums isn't The Smiths. For people who want to hear The Smiths--played as if it was 1983-6-- Tribute bands are really the only option.

Obviously, no one can match Morrissey singing his own lyrics, just as no one can match Johnny Marr's guitar playing, but I miss the emaciated, awkward, effeminate, youthful Morrissey that I never got to see, I miss the flowers that I never got to throw, I miss the falsetto yelps and yodeling, I miss the "jingle-jangle" of Johnny's guitars and I miss the drive and desperate energy of four young guys living out their dream. Basically, I miss The Smiths and since they are never coming back, I'm happy that tribute bands like the Sons and Heirs exist because they allow me to at least get close to something I missed out on because I was born too late.

I believe that the Sons and Heirs are indeed "a real living band with ideas of their own." Those ideas just happen to be along the lines of allowing people who missed out on a great era/experience the chance to see what it was like and, for those who were lucky enough to live through it, a nostalgic few hours where they can reclaim their youth a little. And what is wrong with that? To call them pastiche is undoubtedly false. As mistermarr said himself, all of the members have their own original projects that they work on as well. They're not in it for recognition nor money, but because they are passionate about the music. To be talented enough to play the music you love and share that music with others is a beautiful and truly generous thing. I for one, am truly grateful.

Hate?

What did he ever do to you.

I can't dislike half of the greatest band ever to have graced this planet...the court case was messy and sad but nobody on these forums can claim to know exactly what went on behind closed doors. The only people who have the answer to that are the four members of the band.
He behaved like a pig(repossessing homes etc.).This is an awful thing to do...

Last edited:
we agree on that :thumb:
&

oh that, i wasnt really being serious :straightface: just agreeing with Nugz is all :o
& i doubt there was any poison to what she said either really, i could be wrong though, what do i know :confused:
Yhm.ok.:)

huh

He behaved like a pig (repossessing homes etc.). This is an awful thing to do.

Have you actually read this?
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_051130_01

Statement from Morrissey

30 November 2005

Statement from Morrissey:

The latest statements from M Joyce on a BBC 6 radio interview as faithfully reported on the MorrisseySoLow site have been brought to my attention and I feel I should make this reply as an attempt to put the matter straight.

1. From '83 to '87 M Joyce happily and willingly received 10% of Smiths recording royalties.

2. In '89, as is documented, Joyce sued Morrissey & Marr for 25% of Smiths recording royalties.

3. In '96, Joyce took his claim to court - and on the basis of the 1890 Partnership Act the judge awarded Joyce 25%.

4. In '97, M Joyce was paid 215 thousand pounds from me, and 215 thousand pounds from Johnny Marr.

5. In '99, Joyce appeared on British television and made the statement: "There was no contract saying we were gonna get 25%."

6. In 2001, as a final payment of back royalties, Johnny Marr paid Joyce 260 thousand pounds, plus "costs." At this time I was in the US and was not served with court proceedings, so Joyce obtained a Default Judgment. He then put forward a claim from me for 688 thousand pounds - well above and beyond the amount Johnny Marr was ordered to pay. In my absence, the figure was not contested.

7. Since 2001, and because of the Default Judgment against me, Joyce has taken out Third Party Orders against the following societies: my personal bank account in England, Smiths royalties from Warner Music, my personal PRS royalties, my personal PPL royalties, and he has attempted to seize UK concert fees from venue to venue. This money, to date, totals 700 thousand pounds. This figure is in addition to the figures mentioned above.

8. By grabbing the full total of Smiths royalties from Warner Music (and this means that when the public buy a Smiths CD in the UK, the royalties go to Joyce, and have done so since 2001) Joyce has knowingly deprived Andy Rourke of his 10% Smiths royalties, and has deprived producers John Porter, Stephen Street, Grant Showbiz and Steve Lillywhite (for "Ask") of their entitlements. Joyce did not declare to the courts that others - namely, the above - were also beneficiaries to the Warner Music royalties.

9. In 2001, Joyce attempted to seize both my mother's house and my sister's house by claiming that I had taken my assets out of the UK; he made this claim even though he had direct access to all of the above – which are in the UK. Joyce eventually dropped both of these claims due to lack of evidence, and he refused to pay the 150 thousand pounds that it had cost me to defend his groundless claims. Joyce also dropped his claim as co-composer with Johnny M on Smiths compositions, and Joyce also dropped his claim for Producer royalties on Smiths recordings, and Joyce also dropped his claim for a share of Artwork payments given to me for providing Smiths record sleeves. There were, in fact, no payments to me for Smiths Artwork. Joyce made a further claim for 25% of all Smiths t-shirts sold during the '83 to '87 period, even though there was no evidence that any royalty for t-shirts had been received by either myself or Johnny Marr.

10. In legal fees alone, Joyce has cost me 600 thousand pounds - this is quite apart from any payments made to him, and is quite apart from any money seized by him. In total, Joyce has cost me 1 million, 515 thousand pounds. This is an approximate figure - it could even be higher.

11. The Joyce action is continuous. Because of his Default Judgment he continues to take my royalties, and the royalties of others mentioned above, from Warner Music - consequently I have not received record royalties since 2001.

12. Since 2001, the money claimed by Joyce is charged, to me, at 100 pounds a day in interest.

13. During the Smiths' lifetime, when Joyce willingly took a 10% royalty, he did not contribute towards any expenses of any kind, did not take on any Partnership duties or responsibilities, and he received his 10% as gross earnings.

The point I wish to make is this: Joyce is not poor, unless, living as he does in the Cheshire green-belt, he lives beyond his means. Somehow, he appears to believe that he should have equal financial status to both myself and to Johnny Marr, even though Joyce has done dramatically less than Johnny and I to attain the positions we now have.

Joyce is not poor because of one reason - me. His career now is the fictitious position of an unpaid ex-member of the Smiths. He has also pursued all of his claims on Legal Aid.

I don't make this statement in search of sympathy from anyone, but I wish that the people at MorrisseySoLow who support Joyce would at least get their facts right before they say anything. Even with his 10% share, Joyce was wealthy. Now, he is extremely wealthy.

What more does he want?

I have fought the Joyce action as much as I could over the years, but the simple truth is that, under British law, the word of a judge will not be overturned. In the absence of any evidence from the 1980s, the judge in this case relied upon the Partnership Act of 1890 to help Joyce win his claim. Joyce has exploited the judge's final verdict in order to get as much as he can from me, from Johnny Marr, and also from Andy Rourke.

Finally, Joyce does not have the legal right to sell unreleased Smiths material - it belongs to Warner Music. Joyce did not pay for the recording time under which any demo material was recorded. Furthermore, Joyce cannot sell any unreleased work by Johnny Marr or Andy Rourke without, at very least, their permission.

Thanks for reading this,
MORRISSEY.

Mike Joyce did not repossess the properties.
If you don't know the facts, check the facts before posting wrong accusations.

Re: huh

Have you actually read this?
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_051130_01

Mike Joyce did not repossess the properties.
If you don't know the facts, check the facts before posting wrong accusations.
???Wrong accusations?Well he wanted to repossess the houses but wasnt able to do it.But it doesnt change the fact that he WANTED TO DO THAT.Which only proves what an awful person he is.Not only grabbing other people's money but also their homes.(And their mother and sister homes).What a nice person...

Last edited:

???
Wrong accusations? Well he wanted to repossess the houses but wasnt able to do it.
However, it doesnt change the fact that he WANTED TO DO THAT, which only proves what an awful person he is. Not only grabbing other people's money, but also their homes.

:rolleyes:
I only highlighted the fact.

In here I'm not interested in accusing Mike Joyce for attempting repossess Morrissey's mother's house.

I'm not interested in arguing with someone who blindly supports Morrissey.

Last edited:
Btw.English isnt my native language so my grammar is a bit "eccentric"..sorry...

Last edited:

:rolleyes:
I only highlighted the fact.

In here I'm not interested in accusing Mike Joyce for attempting repossess Morrissey's mother's house.

I'm not interested in arguing with someone who blindly supports Morrissey.
But why not support him blindly?Why not?He is a genius.So i dont care about his flaws...And i dont like greedy people like Joyce.

Last edited:
Tags
carly simon cgnevershutsup
Back
Top Bottom