ROTT the most difficult album to sing along to?

King Leer

Leering since '97
I'm sure most of us have tried to belt out all of Morrissey's back catalog in our safe warm Lancashire homes -- Do any of you feel Ringleader is really a challenge to sing along to? I think Visconti's comments about Morrissey pushing his vocals in different directions is blatantly obvious when you try to mimic it. This generally doesn't hold true for previous Moz albums, aside from selected tracks.

I've already strained my v. chords on To Me You Are..., I'll Never Be..., In The Future..., and On The Streets...

I always find Morrissey difficult to sing along with because his phrasing and rhyming is so unconventional and surprising. With most pop songs you sort of get to know where they are going before you get there. You can predict what the next word will be. With Morrissey he always puts something in to make you double take and trip you over.

I haven't tried singing along to ROTT yet because I haven't been driving much and that's where I sing along most. I'm sure I will find it difficult simply because I am such a crap singer. :p

I find it quite easy to sing along to Ringleader, I think I must be blessed with a voice that is perfect for singing along to Moz, or something. It's great to crank up the new album and give it a shot.

I struggle with some older songs, though; Miserable Lie, for example. That yelping at the end is crazy. Parts of Come Back tO camden are also, ahem, challenging. But worth a try.

Maradona said:
I find it quite easy to sing along to Ringleader, I think I must be blessed with a voice that is perfect for singing along to Moz, or something. It's great to crank up the new album and give it a shot.

I struggle with some older songs, though; Miserable Lie, for example. That yelping at the end is crazy. Parts of Come Back tO camden are also, ahem, challenging. But worth a try.

I agree with Diego 100% - Miserable Lie is just tooo high. Camden I can sing if it's nice and loud. I spent a lot of time singing Moz through my Karaoke machine (with lyrics still intact to keep me in tune!) and find most of his stuff easy to sing too - BUT only if you sing like him, it's impossible (for me) to sing Moz songs with my own natural singing voice - I suppose I become a kind of sad "Stars In Their Eyes" reject after the second bottle of wine......

i do ok singing along except for the low notes. except for life is a pigsty because i have to start out about an octave above him, but then, when the register jumps, it sound bad and i have to jump down.

then again, i haven't turned off the stereo to hear how i sing without it.

One funny thing you can try...

Is record your voice singing along, but without the backing music -- ie. listen loud on headphones and if you think you're hitting every note and nuance brilliantly, you play back your isolated voice and it's a horror show.

ROTT is definitely not tuneless. I find some of the inflections and subtleties of Morrissey's vocals on this record really hard to replicate.

Definitely right about it only working if you affect your voice to sound like Morrissey in the first place. Trying it in your natural singing voice is horrorshow #2.

King Leer said:
Is record your voice singing along, but without the backing music -- ie. listen loud on headphones and if you think you're hitting every note and nuance brilliantly, you play back your isolated voice and it's a horror show.

ROTT is definitely not tuneless. I find some of the inflections and subtleties of Morrissey's vocals on this record really hard to replicate.

Definitely right about it only working if you affect your voice to sound like Morrissey in the first place. Trying it in your natural singing voice is horrorshow #2.

I wouldn't even dream of trying to listen to my own voice.. I play the music loud enough so I never hear myself!

In my head, I'm perfectly in tune.. I actually really enjoy this album and sing along quite a bit. I have given it plenty of air time over the past month making sure I got into it ahead of the gigs.. I certainly did that, and have to stop myself singing along to it when i have it on an MP3 player!

Singing along at the gig was fantastic though - again.. too loud to hear yourself :)

I think it is his hardest album to sing along to, but i can still do it at a stretch!
It is great looking like a prat prancing around the living room

Back
Top Bottom