roommate advice please

oh and i assume the other chick would be paying a little less than me, only cuz the room is slightly smaller. just think its weird that i live here now and we split bills but she says a 3rd roommate would help her with bills even more? how much help do you need before you just start pocketing that money for fun things....

haha trubz. i dunno. i'm not gonna post a pic but my friend Pat who met her said she was doable. *shrug*

crystal. what you said does make sense (FOR ONCE :p oh so kidding, im teasing cuz i like you :)) buuuut, for me 6 months is long enough where the rent shoudl be reduced from the get go. i did not ever expect this. this is a 3 weeks notice thing. not cool.

What you need to do is condense her essence into vitriolic form and subdue her corporeal tendencies so as to dominate her southern house desires and maintain your queenly state as reigning heir of the universe... :p

Actually, when you put it that way, you have to be firm in your conversation so as to communicate your displeasure with the whole situation. It sounds like so far you've heard her case and been submissive, maybe saying "Yeah, okay, that's cool." because she probably came at you with this story that she's helping someone in distress. You have to come back at her and say "You know, I've been thinking it over and this isn't what I had in mind. I think a rent reduction is in order because there were other more favorable situations that I passed on in order to have only one roommate and I don't mean to be difficult, but this is not what I had in mind. Sorry." I'm almost certain she doesn't want you to move, she'll make it work.

Last edited:
Has your roomate had more than one tenant at a time before? If not she might not be considering how much less space there will be, how much more the bills will be, etc.

Has your roomate had more than one tenant at a time before? If not she might not be considering how much less space there will be, how much more the bills will be, etc.

as far as i know, she's only had one other roommate at a time.

she relayed her concerns about space in the kitchen and bathroom, but like it has been implied...if shes pocketing cash from this situation, im sure she's fine with the inconvenience. me on the other hand...

If she wants this girl to move in, not only should bills be split 3 ways but your rent should be lowered as well. It's not fair to have all but 1 bill (meaning rent aka the biggest bill) not lowered while having to split the space with an additional person.

If she wants to charge this chick rent, she should, and she should also factor in taking some money off of your rent to compensate as well.

I'm sorry all of this is happening to you. If I had a spare room at my place I'd say just move in with me. Not that I am in the city or anything but still, it would be fun!

Good Luck!

I genuinely don't know how people cope with the politics of flat sharing, it would send me mental.
Cant you live alone? I live alone in london and it's so expensive I can't afford to eat halfway through the month but I'd still take it over having to make small talk with someone every single day, let alone this crap.

Put your foot down if you can.

If she wants this girl to move in, not only should bills be split 3 ways but your rent should be lowered as well. It's not fair to have all but 1 bill (meaning rent aka the biggest bill) not lowered while having to split the space with an additional person.

If she wants to charge this chick rent, she should, and she should also factor in taking some money off of your rent to compensate as well.

I agree. Especially if, during those six months, you have to clean up after this person. I'm not sure what your housekeeping rules are, but I definitely wouldn't want to scrub the toilet of someone who wasn't paying me to. Now if my rent was reduced I might consider washing a dish or two, but I'd boycott household chores like a mofo if your rent isn't reduced.

Speaking of toilets, will you have to share a restroom with this new girl? :sick:

And make sure you measure how much cottage cheese you have left with a ruler every morning from now on.:thumb:

If you don't want her moving in just act like a crazy person when you see her. You know, stuff like taking your stuffed animal for a walk, maybe a little sleep walking with a butcher knife, indroduce her to your imaginary friend, you get the picture. She won't hang around for long. :crazy:

If you don't want her moving in just act like a crazy person when you see her. You know, stuff like taking your stuffed animal for a walk, maybe a little sleep walking with a butcher knife, indroduce her to your imaginary friend, you get the picture. She won't hang around for long. :crazy:

do normal people not do those things? :o:p

good luck, nugglez!

Tell her "You drive the train but I lay the tracks."

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, you're gettin' played.: Twice.

1. The Asian girl can afford to come all the way to the US, attend university and 2 months in, can't afford a place to stay?! Can't find any Asian friends (with whom she can communicate at least) to stay with? I'm betting she won't register the change of address with I&N - off the radar, no paperwork (i.e. rent checks) to track her whereabouts, etc. You are about to be living with an illegal alien.

2. Your roommate gets laid off then suddenly decides to take in a border - no charge? I'm betting there is money changing hands - like the money that the Asian girl had planned to pay for rent when she arrived here in the first place, only you're out of the loop. Think this girl is really planning to go back to China after only 1 year?

In short, roommate gets 2 x rent, Asian girl gets to stay in America, you get to suck it up or get out.

1. The Asian girl can afford to come all the way to the US, attend university and 2 months in, can't afford a place to stay?! Can't find any Asian friends (with whom she can communicate at least) to stay with? I'm betting she won't register the change of address with I&N - off the radar, no paperwork (i.e. rent checks) to track her whereabouts, etc. You are about to be living with an illegal alien.

2. Your roommate gets laid off then suddenly decides to take in a border - no charge? I'm betting there is money changing hands - like the money that the Asian girl had planned to pay for rent when she arrived here in the first place, only you're out of the loop. Think this girl is really planning to go back to China after only 1 year?

In short, roommate gets 2 x rent, Asian girl gets to stay in America, you get to suck it up or get out.

i don't know about the illegal stuff. it seems legit. i dunno. and no, im sure she would charge her for rent, i just assumed my rent would go down with bringing in a 3rd person.

either way, as it turns out, my roommate tells me today that now her husband is saying he wants to work it out. so now it may not happen at all. who the f*** knows. i just want this to blow over and have everything go back to normal. i dont wanna move and for the most part i like it here, and if the worst i have to put up with is her incessant rambling about herself, i can deal with it. i really cant afford to live by myself. i probably could, but i really don't want the added stress of worrying about whether or not i'll make rent or eat or worse yet, not be able to go to the bar. :cool::thumb:

i the worst i have to put up with is her incessant rambling about herself...

By any chance is your roommate Elizabeth Taylor? I just watched a documentary on Natalie Wood and they quoted directors and producers and actors to talk about Natalie and everytime Liz spoke, it was all about her. STFU Liz.

...and you're racist. :)

Back
Top Bottom