Morrissey Central "Roll On 2023" (December 23, 2022)

Morrissey has voluntarily parted company with Maverick/Quest management. Morrissey has also voluntarily withdrawn from any association with Capitol Records (Los Angeles.)

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight Scott Rodger of Maverick/Quest said on Twitter that Bonfire was scheduled to release Feb. 23 but was delayed. Essentially all but confirmed that Miley Cyrus was meant to go uncredited, Moz named her on Central which caused legal trouble with Miley's label. Scott says now they have to scrub her vocals from Veronica and release once that's done. Hopefully, still close to original release date. This explains why Rebels was the first single...

No idea what any of this means if Morrissey has really sacked (or been sacked by!) Capitol and Maverick.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...for-feb-23-delayed-by-featured-artist.150515/

I'm confused, what's going on here?

Screenshot 2022-12-23 10.47.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-23 10.48.45 PM.png

Thank you. So they have rights to that song still?
You are a fan of Suede, right? Don't you know what a license means in the recording industry? Suede & your Brett did the same; the artist finances themself the recording, so they are the owner of the master tapes whatever happens and they can unplug the deal without big damage. They can do some shopping and get a distributor whether a major or an independent label. Next time, you write, spare us the derogative comment "bixch" when speaking about M.

Thank you. So they have rights to that song still?
Morrissey signed a licensing agreement with them, that's what makes them "the label."
His Central post saying he has "withdrawn from any association" with them hasn't nuked the single released under their contract from all platforms, at the very least. I wonder if we could look to what happened with World Peace and Harvest, and how that album is no longer streaming...

Low is a very good record. It is powerful from track 1 to track 7, Morrissey at his best. From track 8 on it is weaker but still pleasant. Overall production is Top. The Israel subject is redundant, though.
The only song on LHIS I don't have time for is The Girl Who Wouldn't Kneel. It is note for note the exact same melody as the proceeding song, In Your Lap. You can sing each song title over the intro of each song. They even have the same phrasing.

You are a fan of Suede, right? Don't you know what a license means in the recording industry? Suede & your Brett did the same; the artist finances themself the recording, so they are the owner of the master tapes whatever happens and they can unplug the deal without big damage. They can do some shopping and get a distributor whether a major or an independent label. Next time, you write, spare us the derogative comment "bixch" when speaking about M.
Morrissey is a bitch

I can see why some don't like LIHS but in regards to Dog it's his best material in ages! Only weak tune is The Secret Of Music and even that one is okay to listen to for it's strangness.

Jim Jim Falls and Once I Saw The River Clean should've been singles. They would've been big hits. Anytime I play it in the car with an unsuspecting passenger they say "Who is this?"
Morrissey is a bitch
Yeah a sexy bitch

The only song on LHIS I don't have time for is The Girl Who Wouldn't Kneel. It is note for note the exact same melody as the proceeding song, In Your Lap. You can sing each song title over the intro of each song. They even have the same phrasing.

I really enjoy The Girl From Tel Aviv… I find the music refreshing, the vocal melody catchy, & the lyrics memorable.

In Your Lap, not so much…

I can see why some don't like LIHS but in regards to Dog it's his best material in ages! Only weak tune is The Secret Of Music and even that one is okay to listen to for it's strangness.

Jim Jim Falls and Once I Saw The River Clean should've been singles. They would've been big hits. Anytime I play it in the car with an unsuspecting passenger they say "Who is this?"
I´m with you on that - Dog is easily his best album in years. The one song I don´t love on the album is Secret of Music but its strangeness has an appeal all of its own. The rest of the album is up there with his best solo material.

Why would you assume they own BOT? Harvest didn't own World Peace. No way in hell does Morrissey part ways with Capitol knowing they own his material.
Record companies aren’t know for handing rights to records back, if artists get upset with them. They’d all have pretty slim catalogues if they did.

Well, if they’re signed? I don’t think most would have a problem with those prices.

But seriously, if that were the case, then he’s gonna find himself quickly with lots of unsold records. M’s crazy, but not that crazy.

Honestly at this point, he should just have Sam leak it, and say Merry Christmas! to his fans. And be done with it.
That's a good point. His previous albums were often leaked prior to release, strange we've not seen hide nor hair of Bonfire. I assume some radio DJs were given advance copies.

We live in the digital age. The label, or the format are immaterial to me. I was a vinyl junkie, then built up a huge CD collection, but as a means to the music. I am happy to have thrown away my hi-fi separates and stored away records and CD’s. One day, when I’m ready, they will go. I‘ve embraced the life of streaming my music, or owning it in a purely digital format.

Now, I’m a middle aged man. If all this business of label etc is an irrelevance to me, then I think I’m pretty safe to assume that I’m slightly behind the curve and on catch up.

Morrissey is trapped still, in his formative years and a life that predates even himself. In the same way as he used to long for an England that never really existed, he will cling to the old accoutrements of the past in a hoarder like way that will only stop him from doing the very thing he really wants. To sing and to be heard.

This industry that he so loathes - he doesn’t really need it. Just get the music out so that people can listen to it. He can either go out moaning, or by celebrating his art simply for what it is. Music, and the craft of the word.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom