Rocket Scientists Say We'll Never Reach The Stars

D

Dave

I hesitate to post this as I find it the news to be somewhat depressing, but I also feel that the logic here is faulty (they say it would take more than a lifetime to reach the nearest star) and I think that there might be some interest in the topic, since it concerns the long-term survival of the people of this planet.

Rocket Scientists Say We'll Never Reach the Stars

2jajnms.jpg

Many believe that humanity's destiny lies with the stars. Sadly for us, rocket propulsion experts now say we may never even get out of the Solar System.

At a recent conference, rocket scientists from NASA, the U.S. Air Force and academia doused humanity's interstellar dreams in cold reality. The scientists, presenting at the Joint Propulsion Conference in Hartford, Connecticut, analyzed many of the designs for advanced propulsion that others have proposed for interstellar travel. The calculations show that, even using the most theoretical of technologies, reaching the nearest star in a human lifetime is nearly impossible.

"In those cases, you are talking about a scale of engineering that you can't even imagine," Paulo Lozano, an assistant professor of aeronautics and astronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a conference attendee, said in a recent interview.

The major problem is that propulsion -- shooting mass backwards to go forwards -- requires large amounts of both time and fuel. For instance, using the best rocket engines Earth currently has to offer, it would take 50,000 years to travel the 4.3 light years to Alpha Centauri, our solar system's nearest neighbor. Even the most theoretically efficient type of propulsion, an imaginary engine powered by antimatter, would still require decades to reach Alpha Centauri, according to Robert Frisbee, group leader in the Advanced Propulsion Technology Group within NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

And then there's the issue of fuel. It would take at least the current energy output of the entire world to send a probe to the nearest star, according to Brice N. Cassenti, an associate professor with the Department of Engineering and Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. That's a generous figure: More likely, Cassenti says, it would be as much as 100 times that.

"We just can't extract the resources from the Earth," Cassenti said during his presentation. "They just don't exist. We would need to mine the outer planets."

A 160-Million-Ton Needle

Interstellar propulsion systems are not a new idea. Rocket scientists, aeronautical engineers and science-fiction enthusiasts have proposed such designs for several decades.

In 1958, U.S. scientists explored the possibility of a spaceship propelled by dropping nuclear bombs out the back, a so-called nuclear-pulsed rocket. The research, called Project Orion, was killed by the signing of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and the budgetary requirements of the Apollo Project.

In 1978, the British Interplanetary Society designed a mission to Barnard's Star, almost 6 light years away, using a pulsed fusion rocket fueled by deuterium. Building such a spaceship would require mining the outer planets for fuel for at least two decades, scientists said at the Joint Propulsion Conference this year.

But the thought experiments continue. At the conference, Frisbee presented a theoretical design for a ship using antimatter to propel its way to nearby stars.

Frisbee's design calls for a long, needle-like spaceship with each component stacked in line to keep radiation from the engines from harming sensitive equipment or people.

At the rocket end, a large superconducting magnet would direct the stream of particles created by annihilating hydrogen and antihydrogen. A regular nozzle could not be used, even if made of exotic materials, because it could not withstand exposure to the high-energy particles, Frisbee said. A heavy shield would protect the rest of the ship from the radiation produced by the reaction.

A large radiator would be placed next in line to dissipate all the heat produced by the engine, followed by the storage compartments for the hydrogen and antihydrogen. Because antihydrogen would be annihilated if it touched the walls of any vessel, Frisbee's design stores the two components as ice at one degree above absolute zero.

The systems needed to run the spacecraft come after the propellant tanks, followed by the payload. In its entirety, the spaceship would resemble a large needle massing 80 million metric tons with another 40 million metric tons each of hydrogen and antihydrogen. In contrast, the Space Shuttle weighs in at a mere 2,000 metric tons.

"Interstellar missions are big," Frisbee said, in part because of the massive amounts of energy (and hence fuel) required to get moving fast enough to make the trip in anything like a reasonable amount of time. "Any time you try to get something up to the speed of light, Newton is still God."

With that fuel, it would still take nearly 40 years to travel the 4.3 light years to Earth's nearest neighbor, Alpha Centuri, he said.

Down and Out On Earth

Even improving humans' access to near space is not easy.

Scientists have all but discarded ideas for rockets that can reach orbit using a single stage. Instead, private space ventures have focused on lightening the payload and rocket and on increasing reliability. If space tourism comes into vogue, then launch providers could benefit from economies of scale.

But alternative-propulsion systems? They are not in short supply in people's imaginations, but most fail the test of reality, Marcus Young, a researcher at the U.S. Air Force Research Lab's Advanced Project Group, told conference attendees. Young and his team surveyed ideas for launch vehicles that could be accomplished in the next 15 to 50 years and found most to be unworkable.

Space elevator? Even if the engineering made sense, the design requires a breakthrough in materials science to create cables long and strong enough. Rail guns? A vehicle would have to shoot down a 100-kilometer track at 50 times the force of gravity to achieve orbit. Nuclear power? Radioactivity would limit its use to outside Earth's atmosphere, and the politics are positively toxic.

"There are a lot of ideas that initially you say, 'Hey, that might work,'" Young said. "But after a little research, you quickly find that it won't."

Yet, just because science fiction is not yet a reality is not a reason to make science suffer, said MIT's Lozano.

"There is a lot of interesting stuff that you cannot do even in the solar system," he said. "We have the technical means to do it. But some of the most sophisticated technologies ... we have not developed. Not because we can't, but because we have not made it a priority."

As for interstellar travel, even the realists are far from giving up. All it takes is one breakthrough to make the calculations work, Frisbee said.

"It's always science fiction until someone goes out and does it," he said.

Tell that to Capt. Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon...

FTL_Image_FalconHyper.jpg

btw, are they looking out a "window" or at some kind of screen?

You should meet someone that thinks about the longterm future then. Just as an intellectual exercise if nothing else.

Our long-term future can be secured by making sure we don't f*** up our own planet first, then maybe if we've got some spare cash behind the sofa we can go exploring the great beyond. Until then, I'd rather my tax money was spent more productively.

Coiff.

Our long-term future can be secured by making sure we don't f*** up our own planet first, then maybe if we've got some spare cash behind the sofa we can go exploring the great beyond. Until then, I'd rather my tax money was spent more productively.

Coiff.

Do you really think that we can maintain the planet forever? Some people make a good case that global warming is part of a natural cycle and that humans aren't even really contributing to it that much. Yes, we need to respect the planet, and all life on it,as much as possible, and not mess it up more than absolutely necessary.

But in the very long term, there will be another ice age, for example, and the Earth is hit by meteors every so often such as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. Things happen to this planet from time to time.

Your tax money is already being spent in some very stupid and non-productive ways, and it's very shortsighted not to have some sort of long range perspective, and there are things that we could do that we might have wished we'd done.

For example, this idea of the meteor that keeps coming up. We could probably come up with a way to alter its course, as well as better ways to detect it earlier. There is a whole group of people dedicated to the idea that one is coming and we've had it, no matter what, but we could at least try to prepare for something like that. If it's big enough we're doomed anyway, but at least we could try.

That may sound too much like science fiction but it's just one example, and there are other reasons that continuing our exploration of space makes sense, and again, when you think of all the dumb things the governments of the world spend money on, I think the money could be found. I think we owe it to future generations to continue to improve our knowledge of the Universe.

I know, I really like that Bob Marley song about "Sailing on the ego trip/blast off on the space ship" but "for just pennies a day!" maybe we could be doing the most important thing in the history of our civilization.

Interesting. Thanks, Dave.

Hardly surprising news, though. Who seriously expects humanity to fulfill its destiny inside rocket ships? There will have to be a knight's leap in technology before interstellar travel is possible. A fuller knowledge of the universe would help, and we're heading there. Slowly, but we're heading there. Things like dimensional travel and wormholes, etc, may seem like cheap sci-fi, but if you've read Stephen Hawking you know that, in fact, sci-fi isn't even keeping up with contemporary science. Anyway the point is it looks unlikely that we can't explore the universe but it's silly to say it's impossible. As Don Rumsfeld so eloquently put it, we don't know what we don't know. I'll concede that the only "realistic" scenario is like the movie "Contact" or even "2001": a higher intelligence throws us a bone. Still, it's ridiculous to say it'll never happen.

However, I'm more in line with Coiff's thinking. We're going to die out as a species long before we ever figure out what it is we don't know. It's just that as human beings we can't help thinking about what it would be like to fly through space at faster-than-light speeds with an eight-foot tall shaggy dog sitting next to us.

Last edited:
Dave, I'm all for protecting future generations, but the meteor's not going to hit any time soon, and when it does I'm sure earthling technology will have advanced sufficiently so that we don't have to send Messers Willis and Affleck on another life-affirming space holiday to destroy the damn thing.

I'm also in favour of the expansion of human knowledge, but in a world where too many people don't have access to food or shelter, I feel it's a luxury we can't afford. Of course governments waste money, but I'd rather they wasted it trying to achieve something noble and beneficial to their most needy citizens than trying to achieve something noble and beneficial to some bespectacled physicists in Florida.

Coiff.

Dave, I'm all for protecting future generations, but the meteor's not going to hit any time soon, and when it does I'm sure earthling technology will have advanced sufficiently so that we don't have to send Messers Willis and Affleck on another life-affirming space holiday to destroy the damn thing.

I'm also in favour of the expansion of human knowledge, but in a world where too many people don't have access to food or shelter, I feel it's a luxury we can't afford. Of course governments waste money, but I'd rather they wasted it trying to achieve something noble and beneficial to their most needy citizens than trying to achieve something noble and beneficial to some bespectacled physicists in Florida.

Coiff.

I am particularly disturbed by the spending of hundreds of millions of dollars to create shitty movies about saving the world from meteors, when that money could be used to improve conditions for hundreds of thousands of people...

I am particularly disturbed by the spending of hundreds of millions of dollars to create shitty movies about saving the world from meteors, when that money could be used to improve conditions for hundreds of thousands of people...

The very same can be said about the hundreds of millions of dollars that are wasted on professional sports salaries each year

Back
Top Bottom