Robbie Williams is the Pop Morrissey?

Dizzywhore: You've always struggled mentally to comprehend music, and therefore I expected such moronic unfounded profanation spluttering from your middle-aged mouth...
But this board is overrun, layered, bursting with the most bewildering, suffocating, horrifying idiotic comments of uselessness identifying exactly why Mr. Williams appeals to your lives...

Wow! What a nice surprise to have someone know all about my musical tastes and utterly rip me on them. You've obviously done your research. Though I should point out: middle-aged? I'm 22 thank you muchly, more research needed here I think.
Also, you seem to imply further again that anyone who likes Robbie or his former band are "middle-aged hormonal women or equally confused teenagers" you seem to fail again, for I am, what would be termed, "male".
So after falling on two bits of your obviously very thought out rant, stick with me while I try and go through the rest.

I'd say he's underrated in that people still refer to him as 'the fat dancer from Take That' and seem to think that by stealing a decade-old gag from Noel Gallagher (I believe) they're qualified to write off everything he ever did after he first got naked and jellied himself up and can sit there smuggly and not really think about it.

When you ask for "some of Robbie Williams’ world-weary advice, poetic necessities and his meaningful life-changing lyrics…?" you obviously ARE missing something, as you yourself admit. You've made the fatal, and childish, mistake of thinking that everyone is only allowed to like one artist or one style and never venture out their adopted genre in fear of tainting their tastes beyond repair.
I don't listen to Robbie if I want to hear a piece of work comparable to "The Queen Is Dead", for you see I have "The Queen Is Dead" to listen to in that instance.
I listen to Robbie and Take That and Lily Allen and Britney Spears and Lady GaGa and Alphabeat and Girls Aloud (and any other pop artist you wouldn't touch for fear of an oh-so-important and oh-so-judgemental Haircut Scenester judging your taste) for fun, lightweight pop that will pass away the hours. Though it is always nice when a pop song so utterly surprisingly brilliant comes along it reminds you why you are a music fan in the first place.
Much as I like 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' I don't really fancy it before hitting the town on a Friday night (- though admittedly, sometimes after: when I come home alone, and I cry and I want to die).

You judge me for being a middle-aged (incorrect) brainless music sheep (I'd like to think incorrect), when in fact I'd wager you're a pretty dull git who spends most nights out with whatever friends can still stand you rolling your eyes and standing in the corner like an Indie-Twit Martyr, simpering into your cider about the decline of music - when in fact you just haven't actually listened to anything with an open mind in a few years.

If you think I'm a fool for liking pop music, and not dismissing anything that goes Top 10 as rubbish, then I feel sorry for you. However next time you're out will you shake you arse to 'Bad Boys' when Alexandra Burke comes on? I'll bet I look better on the dancefloor.
:thumb:

:lbf: i'm sure there are much worse wanker tossers out there,Scarlet.
Put on your thinking cap
Cliff Richard for one.oh,Chris De Burgh for another and,perhaps,wee Leo Sayer?

NO! He really is a major tosser! :D

Completely talentless

I've just watched that X-Factor performance on Youtube. What a complete waste of my time. And comparing Robbie Williams to Morrissey?? :crazy:

Did it too

got laid on the leyline

:laughing:

all we ever wanted is to look good naked

So he is a fan of Gok Wan ?

And is he a stiffened robot / hairless animated teddy bear who took some overdose of caffeine? :( He looks strangely ill/sick, actually I do pity him.

Who ever came up with 'similiarities' ...
erm ther most be other Mancunian singers with dark hair to compare

Have to confess that I like Take That Greatest Hits for cleaning up the flat, its more fun if you can do it that way

Last edited:
I'd say he's underrated in that people still refer to him as 'the fat dancer from Take That' and seem to think that by stealing a decade-old gag from Noel Gallagher (I believe) they're qualified to write off everything he ever did after he first got naked and jellied himself up and can sit there smuggly and not really think about it.

People refer to him as the fat dancer from Take That, as its quite the accurate summation of his pointless life.

I don't listen to Robbie if I want to hear a piece of work comparable to "The Queen Is Dead", for you see I have "The Queen Is Dead" to listen to in that instance.

So in what way is he the 'Pop Morrissey'?

I listen to Robbie and Take That and Lily Allen and Britney Spears and Lady GaGa and Alphabeat and Girls Aloud (and any other pop artist you wouldn't touch for fear of an oh-so-important and oh-so-judgemental Haircut Scenester judging your taste) for fun, lightweight pop that will pass away the hours.

You've gleefully proven my argument, there is no need for me to continue.

You satisfy yourself with mindless, generic manufactured music as its 'lightweight' - that perfectly potrays you as a person. Idiotic, shallow, and lacking in braincells
You can't bear beautiful music so you must cram your mind with the choreographed whinings of the middle-classes and trend-followers i.e. Ms Allen.

Much as I like 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' I don't really fancy it before hitting the town on a Friday night (- though admittedly, sometimes after: when I come home alone, and I cry and I want to die).
So you believe Morrissey to be depressing? Well once more you identify your own naivity and inablitiy to appreciate art. And shows how diluted music has become.

The brainless like you, whose only argument for music is 'makes me feel good- dont like no depressing music tis why I lov Robbie N the Boys' revolt at any sign of creativity or art.. So why may I ask do you like Morrissey? Oh thats why you fancy him? Good enough reason...

Morrissey isnt depressing in any strand, Popmusic has been degraded and eroded by fools who occupy the dancefloor like yourself. It's an artform, medicrity and banality arent suitable I'm afraid. I like intelligent music.

Only in popular music are we bombarded with vile music, without excuse. In other areas of art.. Film for example, discounting the Americanised action-thriller blahblahblaah, or American Pies... Good films are rewarded, beauty, sensitivity, gentility, something that provokes thought and spirit...

Within music due to people like the 22 year Dizzywhore, clutching at his social circle of a friday night, telling and seeminly professing more tired and tried anecedotes to amuse... Music is stuck and completely emersed and is seemingly there not to be listened to or say anything remotely important.. But is there to keep a metronome beat for brainless twats like him to dance around to in taughtened white-shirts from Topman

You judge me for being a middle-aged (incorrect) brainless music sheep (I'd

Well I do believe you are destined to become a bloated middleaged haggard, standing around in bars, dancing to Madonna speaking of how you nearly met her... A sheep I do believe you are.

Regards xxzzzzz

His performance on X Factor was dreadful. No excuses from me.

But look at the Electric Proms a few days later. 'No Regrets' one of those pop songs that takes you by surprise.

"Tell me a story.
Where we are changed,
Where we live our lives together and not estranged.

I didn't lose my mind,
It was mine to give away."

Of course, the studio version with hte beautiful Neil Tennant and Neil Hannon is much better.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FokiicLitY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FokiicLitY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Within music due to people like the 22 year Dizzywhore, clutching at his social circle of a friday night, telling and seeminly professing more tired and tried anecedotes to amuse... Music is stuck and completely emersed and is seemingly there not to be listened to or say anything remotely important.. But is there to keep a metronome beat for brainless twats like him to dance around to in taughtened white-shirts from Topman

Regards xxzzzzz

Seeing as how you've decided that I am apparently the sole destroyer of music and tastes and probably the entire universe maybe we should leave it there. I could rebuke every person comment you've made there but I seriously can't be arsed with it as quite simply I don't know what I've done to deserve it.

You seem to not understand the difference between not appreciating art, and not appreciating that I might not want to be appreciating art every minute of the day. Sometimes I do want to turn my brain off and dance like an utter plonker. That doesn't mean it stays off the rest of the time.

But don't for a second dare to think I don't often sit down and immerse myself in Morrissey and similar artists - in the lyrics, the music, the art and the underlying intentions - simply because I don't want to be doing it all the time.

I absolutely love good food, it doesn't mean I don't fancy chewing gum every now and again ;)

Last edited:
If anyone gives this ridiculous point any validity you have no business listening to Morrissey in the first place. Yes it's a judgement call but it also happens to be true which gives it that extra ooomph!

Wow! What a nice surprise to have someone know all about my musical tastes and utterly rip me on them. You've obviously done your research. Though I should point out: middle-aged? I'm 22 thank you muchly, more research needed here I think.
Also, you seem to imply further again that anyone who likes Robbie or his former band are "middle-aged hormonal women or equally confused teenagers" you seem to fail again, for I am, what would be termed, "male".
So after falling on two bits of your obviously very thought out rant, stick with me while I try and go through the rest.

When you ask for "some of Robbie Williams’ world-weary advice, poetic necessities and his meaningful life-changing lyrics…?" you obviously ARE missing something, as you yourself admit. You've made the fatal, and childish, mistake of thinking that everyone is only allowed to like one artist or one style and never venture out their adopted genre in fear of tainting their tastes beyond repair.
I listen to Robbie and Take That and Lily Allen and Britney Spears and Lady GaGa and Alphabeat and Girls Aloud (and any other pop artist you wouldn't touch for fear of an oh-so-important and oh-so-judgemental Haircut Scenester judging your taste) for fun, lightweight pop that will pass away the hours. Though it is always nice when a pop song so utterly surprisingly brilliant comes along it reminds you why you are a music fan in the first place.

You judge me for being a middle-aged (incorrect) brainless music sheep (I'd like to think incorrect), when in fact I'd wager you're a pretty dull git who spends most nights out with whatever friends can still stand you rolling your eyes and standing in the corner like an Indie-Twit Martyr, simpering into your cider about the decline of music - when in fact you just haven't actually listened to anything with an open mind in a few years.

If you think I'm a fool for liking pop music, and not dismissing anything that goes Top 10 as rubbish, then I feel sorry for you. However next time you're out will you shake you arse to 'Bad Boys' when Alexandra Burke comes on? I'll bet I look better on the dancefloor.

Oh yes dizzywhore, i f***ing love you

j9q6hg.jpg

w0pbx4.jpg

This is the most silly of threads and that takes some doing.
Morrissey has always been a Pop star so of course Morrissey is the pop Morrissey.
If the writer of that piece doesn't even realise this then he doesn't know much.
I am always, very, surprised when, even, a couple of people on here agree with such rubbish.

You could say Robbie is the new George Michael (closer but still miles away) or that Will Young is Pops Morrissey or that Morrissey is pops Cliff Richard and create similarities it doesn't make it true in the least.
When people agrees with such toss it's because they believe anything that is written down.

Morrissey is nothing like Robbie, they both, like a lot of us, come from an English, working class,Irish, single parent family.
But that is it.
Morissey reflects the intelligent part of the above culture.
Robbie reflects nothing he is a pop star for the katie Price generation- a puppet pop star who is lead everywhere.
Morrissey has always had deep seated issues (depression).
Robbie suffers from the media disease- he will suffer from anything for anyone as long as there is a product to sell and he can see himself in The Sun.
Robbie is your everyday addict, nothing more than that- which is no surprise as he has been famous since 16 or whatever.
Morrissey is thoughtful, has a deep seated intelligence,is interesting. He knows what he wants, has made his own career and brought a new world and style to music and has lead the way with artistic force, a poetic way with words and a fantastic voice
Robbie is without doubt a simpleton, a quick leaner maybe but there is nothing underneath. No depth, no intelligence and no real talent.
His career has been planned for him nothing but nothing has come from him
he is a follower and a copier.
he rarely writes his own words beyond the odd sentence and song title ( which is why his collaborators are always well know lyricists as well as musicans).
The reason some people may compare the two is because Robbies management were trying to mold him into a kind off cross between George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis. The management team seemed to lean more towards the Morrissey influence when they where trying to break Robbie in America, it was around this time Robbie became a Morrissey fan, funny that- it was just away of getting cred and away to make in roads into the states.
No one has been fooled though.

This is the most silly of threads and that takes some doing.
Morrissey has always been a Pop star so of course Morrissey is the pop Morrissey.
If the writer of that piece doesn't even realise this then he doesn't know much.
I am always, very, surprised when, even, a couple of people on here agree with such rubbish.

You could say Robbie is the new George Michael (closer but still miles away) or that Will Young is Pops Morrissey or that Morrissey is pops Cliff Richard and create similarities it doesn't make it true in the least.
When people agrees with such toss it's because they believe anything that is written down.

Morrissey is nothing like Robbie, they both, like a lot of us, come from an English, working class,Irish, single parent family.
But that is it.
Morissey reflects the intelligent part of the above culture.
Robbie reflects nothing he is a pop star for the katie Price generation- a puppet pop star who is lead everywhere.
Morrissey has always had deep seated issues (depression).
Robbie suffers from the media disease- he will suffer from anything for anyone as long as there is a product to sell and he can see himself in The Sun.
Robbie is your everyday addict, nothing more than that- which is no surprise as he has been famous since 16 or whatever.
Morrissey is thoughtful, has a deep seated intelligence,is interesting. He knows what he wants, has made his own career and brought a new world and style to music and has lead the way with artistic force, a poetic way with words and a fantastic voice
Robbie is without doubt a simpleton, a quick leaner maybe but there is nothing underneath. No depth, no intelligence and no real talent.
His career has been planned for him nothing but nothing has come from him
he is a follower and a copier.
he rarely writes his own words beyond the odd sentence and song title ( which is why his collaborators are always well know lyricists as well as musicans).
The reason some people may compare the two is because Robbies management were trying to mold him into a kind off cross between George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis. The management team seemed to lean more towards the Morrissey influence when they where trying to break Robbie in America, it was around this time Robbie became a Morrissey fan, funny that- it was just away of getting cred and away to make in roads into the states.
No one has been fooled though.

:clap: well said however I think Robbie has something and that's very good management. That's a secret of his success however there's no soul or free thinking.

Last edited:
Just because someone decides to ape a superior artist doesn't mean they have anything in common with that superior artist.

I saw Robbie's pathetic attempt to impersonate Morrissey on the X-factor with all the shaking of the audiences hands and so on. The only thing is he doesn't get Morrissey so instead of carrying on singing he had to punctuate it with "hows you doing" and "good to be back". He turned it into a cheesefest because thats what he basically is, a cheesy people pleaser. It was like the anti-Morrissey.

He will never be like Morrissey because he doesn't have it in him to understand what Morrissey's all about. Let's face it, that's why he agreed to be on the X-factor and is accepting a Brit Lifetime achievement award.

Morrissey is the Pop Morrissey.

I agree that RW is a very big waste of space

But why was Albertine banned? Maybe I missed some action

Back
Top Bottom