Robbie Williams: biography extract says Morrissey considered duet – but only if it ended with a kiss

Robbie Williams: exclusive biography extract says Morrissey considered duet – but only if it ended with a kiss - NME

Williams goes on to recall a quote Morrissey had previously made about him in which he said “everything about Williams is fantastic… apart from the voice and the songs.”

Read the extract in full below:

He’s not sure where the initial idea came from, but he was told that Morrissey wanted to duet if Rob would agree to Morrissey’s two stipulations:

‘We sing one of his songs, which was great, it’s a song called “I Like You”. And at the end he wanted to kiss like Britney and Madonna.’

Perhaps Morrissey imagined that this second request would automatically kill the idea, but of course Rob immediately agreed.

‘I was bang up for that. Kissing Morrissey! That would have been great. Because he’s just got, like, a fiercely brilliant face. You know, watching the idolatry that surrounds him, thousands and thousands of straight men I think would sleep with Morrissey. And I might not sleep with Morrissey but I’d have a cuddle and a kiss. It would have been amazing.’

But it was not to be.

‘I think he was probably maybe a bit bluffing. Maybe. But I wasn’t. I’d have wrestled him to the floor. And dominated him. I don’t even know if I’d get a kick out of thinking that he tried to call my bluff. But I’m un-bluffable when it comes to stuff like that. I think it might have been something that he considered that day, then quickly rescinded. Like he does.’

All that remains, instead, is the assessment of Rob that Morrissey gave to The Word magazine two years before that.

‘A fantastic quote about me,’ says Rob, ‘even though it was horrible.’

What Morrissey said was this: ‘Personally I think that almost everything about Robbie Williams is fantastic … apart from the voice and the songs. He seems to have everything in place, the photos are fantastic, he’s reasonably amusing, he’s undeterred and he’s not precious about what he does. I admire all of that.’

‘Except,’ Rob says, laughing, ‘the voice and the songs.’

40762_ROBBIE-WILLIAMS-REVEAL-final-cover.jpg-665x1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is 100% bullshit. PR for the USA market, were Robbie has zero standing. Robbie asked Bowie for a duet and was refused , then he asked Morrissey for one and was refused. It was Robbie who suggested "Let Me Kiss You", not "I Like You" and then HE wanted to kiss at the end.He told the press all about the idea.
Morrissey had no clue about this. In fact Robbie never heard one word from Morrissey about it. Robbie put a letter though Morrisseys door and thats as far as it went,
Robbie even said, at the time , that he never heard back about the offer. Morrissey's excuse "I didn't know where he lived" . which is code for "f*** that". They both lived in LA, at the time and Morrissey could have contacted him anytime he wanted.
Even when they were in the same room on Jonathan Ross , Morrissey said three words to him "You look Orange" and then said bye at the end . So this idea that there was a "conversation" is BS
The event Robbie is referring was The Brits. As if Morrissey was ever going to go on there.

Whats even more amazing about that insult/compliment that was used is that it was an insult sandwich , a few nice things with an insult in the middle.
The interview in question was for Quarry, it was a comeback and Morrissey was trying to be kind , even asking the interviewer not to put any bitchy comments he made about Coldplay or Radiohead in the articl- very unMorrissey . At this point he was trying not to alienate anyone , he was aware Robbie was a fan and had a huge UK audience , in the light entertainment market. Morrissey was also having pictures taken with Franz and Libertines also. Doing his best to ply the game, at least slightly .
So when he said
"‘Personally I think that almost everything about Robbie Williams is fantastic … apart from the voice and the songs. He seems to have everything in place, the photos are fantastic, he’s reasonably amusing, he’s undeterred and he’s not precious about what he does. I admire all of that."

The point of it really was Morrissey saying he has "almost everything in place (business, PR, label) but he's shit, he can't sing and has no songs . I think in the interview he actually said "almost everything about Robbie's success is fantastic .." and "some of the photos" but I could be wrong. Its worth mentioning about the photos, that Robbie's people having failed with making Robbie a more pop Oasis and new George Michael had tried and failed to style him in a Morrissey fashion, they were trying to break the US market. Certain pictures of the time were direct lifts from ones Morrissey had done. So I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey said they were fantastic as he knew they were copying him. By quarry time Robbie had become a Morrissey fan, in a shallow sense. A bit late in the day, mid 30s to discover Morrissey but there you go.
There are interviews where interviewers ask Take That if any of them like "Indie music" like "Smiths and Morrissey " Robbie, in his mid 20s says "No way "and says Gary Barlow is into Morrissey - ironic as later Robbie would become a fan and Morrissey's nephew would look the double of Gary .
As far as I've heard from people who know Morrissey , Robbie is considered of no interest to him he thinks , I quote he is "end of the pier " and "uninteresting " and "looks like an ape" .

There was another point in the same interview as mentioned above where the interviewer says Morrissey and Robbie should become friends as they live so close, they might make each other laugh . Morrissey only "I could do with a laugh" . Morrissey being kind for , "I could do with a laugh but not with the likes of him"

The fact that this story appears on here today is no confidence either, timed to mix with the release and maximum traffic . Robbie and PR have been trolling Morrissey and this site for some time. It's tried as hell.

looks like robbies spending the day in bed.hes obviously a fan which he has said many times,hes just expanding the truth to flog his book.

To be fair, I think Robbie is just a bit dim and thinks that was really going to happen...let him be happy in his own world I say....

I hope Morrissey refutes this stupid statement. Robbie Williams is ghastly with his faux American voice. Like a third rate club entertainer.

They tried and tried and TRIED to sell this schizoid fop to U.S. audiences and failed every single time - just like the PR carpet bombing for David Beckham. There used to be paste-up posters of Robbie Williams covering Los Angeles at different points, to no avail. Robbie even moved to LA to take part. Just like the gigantic billboards of David Beckham announcing his arrival to LA to play for The Galaxy, these campaigns never, ever worked. Nobody cared. I felt protected and safe by American indifference. Robbie and his t-girl wife can stay the hell in the UK. We got it right that time.

This is 100% bullshit. PR for the USA market, were Robbie has zero standing. Robbie asked Bowie for a duet and was refused , then he asked Morrissey for one and was refused. It was Robbie who suggested "Let Me Kiss You", not "I Like You" and then HE wanted to kiss at the end.He told the press all about the idea.
Morrissey had no clue about this. In fact Robbie never heard one word from Morrissey about it. Robbie put a letter though Morrisseys door and thats as far as it went,
Robbie even said, at the time , that he never heard back about the offer. Morrissey's excuse "I didn't know where he lived" . which is code for "f*** that". They both lived in LA, at the time and Morrissey could have contacted him anytime he wanted.
Even when they were in the same room on Jonathan Ross , Morrissey said three words to him "You look Orange" and then said bye at the end . So this idea that there was a "conversation" is BS
The event Robbie is referring was The Brits. As if Morrissey was ever going to go on there.

Whats even more amazing about that insult/compliment that was used is that it was an insult sandwich , a few nice things with an insult in the middle.
The interview in question was for Quarry, it was a comeback and Morrissey was trying to be kind , even asking the interviewer not to put any bitchy comments he made about Coldplay or Radiohead in the articl- very unMorrissey . At this point he was trying not to alienate anyone , he was aware Robbie was a fan and had a huge UK audience , in the light entertainment market. Morrissey was also having pictures taken with Franz and Libertines also. Doing his best to ply the game, at least slightly .
So when he said
"‘Personally I think that almost everything about Robbie Williams is fantastic … apart from the voice and the songs. He seems to have everything in place, the photos are fantastic, he’s reasonably amusing, he’s undeterred and he’s not precious about what he does. I admire all of that."

The point of it really was Morrissey saying he has "almost everything in place (business, PR, label) but he's shit, he can't sing and has no songs . I think in the interview he actually said "almost everything about Robbie's success is fantastic .." and "some of the photos" but I could be wrong. Its worth mentioning about the photos, that Robbie's people having failed with making Robbie a more pop Oasis and new George Michael had tried and failed to style him in a Morrissey fashion, they were trying to break the US market. Certain pictures of the time were direct lifts from ones Morrissey had done. So I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey said they were fantastic as he knew they were copying him. By quarry time Robbie had become a Morrissey fan, in a shallow sense. A bit late in the day, mid 30s to discover Morrissey but there you go.
There are interviews where interviewers ask Take That if any of them like "Indie music" like "Smiths and Morrissey " Robbie, in his mid 20s says "No way "and says Gary Barlow is into Morrissey - ironic as later Robbie would become a fan and Morrissey's nephew would look the double of Gary .
As far as I've heard from people who know Morrissey , Robbie is considered of no interest to him he thinks , I quote he is "end of the pier " and "uninteresting " and "looks like an ape" .

There was another point in the same interview as mentioned above where the interviewer says Morrissey and Robbie should become friends as they live so close, they might make each other laugh . Morrissey only "I could do with a laugh" . Morrissey being kind for , "I could do with a laugh but not with the likes of him"

The fact that this story appears on here today is no confidence either, timed to mix with the release and maximum traffic . Robbie and PR have been trolling Morrissey and this site for some time. It's tried as hell.

, Robbie and his PR have been trolling this site for about 15 years. Desperate to find inroads into the Morrissey fan base. Thats also why there were articles referencing Morrissey in relation to Robbie, saying things like "Robbie is the Pop Morrissey", WTF, they are nothing alike and anyway Morrissey is the Pop Morrissey . When Robbie tries to look like Morrissey it's so bad, He just looks like Freddie Star and Norman Wisdom, how can he hope to look like Morrissey?. As they have both aged they have become barrel bodied and grey but thats a long way from looking like each other. Actually, Robbie has always been barrel bodied. He's naturally a fatty.
When I think of that quote Robbie mentioned, I think of two songs "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" and "The Kids A Looker" , Expect Robbie only looks good with a 10000k an hr photographer taking the photos, have you seen him live? He looks like a car mechanic .
It's not that Robbie is bad, he's a good light entertainer, one of the best in the UK but light entertainment is for stupid people and Robbie is the crown prince of that type. Nice but dim .

So when he said

Isn't this SER on one of his morning-glory-day "shoots"?
Jonny-Lee-Miller-jonny-lee-miller-5373183-277-299.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom