RIP Ian Curtis

Personally, I think if Bob Marley hadn't smoked weed, his likeness would not be hung upon the walls of countless college dormitory rooms throughout the world.

I an' I know dis to be bloodclot true, rasta.

I'm glad some one has bought up Joy Division, I've been meaning to start a post about them myself.

I watched the film Control the other day which I really enjoyed and dug out Substance on cd and it has been on constant repeat every since. The thing I still don't understand is why their music and Ian Curtis in particular are rated so highly. I love tracks like Digital, Transmission, Dead Souls, Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us apart. But the rest of the album is little more than filler. I can see why people might like them, but to be given this cult statis is a mystery to me. Can someone please explain it ro me?

I'm glad some one has bought up Joy Division, I've been meaning to start a post about them myself.

I watched the film Control the other day which I really enjoyed and dug out Substance on cd and it has been on constant repeat every since. The thing I still don't understand is why their music and Ian Curtis in particular are rated so highly. I love tracks like Digital, Transmission, Dead Souls, Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us apart. But the rest of the album is little more than filler. I can see why people might like them, but to be given this cult statis is a mystery to me. Can someone please explain it ro me?

They have a cult status because he hung himself. Period.

Listen to Unknown Pleasues and Control. Especially the latter. Then you'll understand.

Listen to Unknown Pleasues and Control. Especially the latter. Then you'll understand.

Indeed. I love the music, his voice, the lyrics, the bass, the drums, the atmosphere. I don't think they would be as popular if he hadn't hung himself, but they would certainly still have a good following. They rock.:guitar:

Indeed. I love the music, his voice, the lyrics, the bass, the drums, the atmosphere. I don't think they would be as popular if he hadn't hung himself, but they would certainly still have a good following. They rock.:guitar:

The lyrics to Isolation is as good as anything Morrissey has ever written.

Last edited:
They touch me in the same way as Moz.

Can you show me on the doll where they touch you?

16707-l.jpg

So this is permanence, love's shattered pride

I'm a big Joy Division fan, but I'm always surprised how much other people like them. It's nothing to do with how Ian met his end. It's just a sound that connects with a lot of people.

Back
Top Bottom