RIP Andy Rourke (May 19, 2023)

aoJ0vqTsewg8x2mWZ71sf24kVGS.jpg

Oh man, this hurts. Tweet from Johnny:

Screenshot_20230519-155603.png

Related items:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
This news really breaks the heart again and again. Andy was a talented bass player, his melodic parts gave The Smiths songs a special brightness, making them cult. Andy has been a part of The Smiths since its inception, and his contribution to musical history will be appreciated time and again.
I always liked his style: he dressed with taste, and his radiant smile seemed to illuminate the whole world around. Andy had his own "magic" – he was just himself. And I am infinitely sorry that it is precisely such sunny and talented people that the disease is eating away at, making the last years of their life a living hell.

RIP Andy. I really hope that there, in heaven, you no longer feel suffering and smile radiantly to all of us.

P.S. "Well I Wonder" now tears the soul apart more than ever. In it, in my opinion, it is Andy's bass line that sets the tone for the whole song.

PSX_20230520_021936.jpg

The minimum juan is asking for privacy but he just opened his dry mouth and said more than he should about it. Typical clickbait lord.

As M said, more or less, death seems to be used. And the little little juan just did. Pathetic.

RIP beloved Andy

I posted my own thoughts. Figured if my thoughts would resonate with anyone, it'd probably be folks here

Thanks for sharing. Good to see November name-checked. His playing on Interesting Drug and Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference is right up there with the finest of his Smiths work.

If you’re in the UK this 5 Live show from yesterday is really worth a listen with the great Northern powerhouse, Tony Livesey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lxpd

Throughout the 2 hour show they react to Andy’s passing by welcoming fans to message in with memories of the smiths and song dedications. There’s also worthy contributions and interviews with Peter Hook and Mike Joyce who both spoke so well about their friend.

The last 10 minutes of the programme really got to me with a couple of poignant smiths fans stories and tributes as they closed out the show with hooky’s choice of ‘Asleep’. Honestly superb broadcasting all round.

Sleep well, Andy

If you’re in the UK this 5 Live show from yesterday is really worth a listen with the great Northern powerhouse, Tony Livesey

Throughout the 2 hour show they react to Andy’s passing by welcoming fans to message in with memories of the smiths and song dedications. There’s also worthy contributions and interviews with Peter Hook and Mike Joyce who both spoke so well about their friend.

The last 10 minutes of the programme really got to me with a couple of poignant smiths fans stories and tributes as they closed out the show with hooky’s choice of ‘Asleep’. Honestly superb broadcasting all round.

Sleep well, Andy

Yes I was listening while driving and it was wonderful.

In top of this tragic news, this means that the none of the three surviving Smiths are on talking terms, which isn't a great situation. It would be a small silver lining if something as terrible as this prompted some sort of shift - an awareness that life is limited and maybe it would be best to bury any bad feelings this side of the grave.

Sleep well, Andy
It really was great, wasn't it? Tony is a true radio gem.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom