Morrissey Central RINGLEADER DELUXE ! (July 17, 2020)

Morrissey’s third UK number 1 album ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’ will be issued this year by BMG for the first time.The album is presently being ‘rebooted’ by producer Tony Visconti and will feature more sections by Ennio Morricone and his orchestra from the 2005 sessions in Rome, plus a photographic booklet.The original album featured four UK hit singles, ‘You Have Killed Me’ (Number 3), ‘The Youngest Was The Most Loved’(Number 14), ‘In The Future When All’s Well’ (Number 17), ‘I Just Want To See The Boy Happy’ (Number 16).

full

Damn right friend....Moz has always written & sang interesting songs, the casually tossed assessment that this album's bad or that album's bad always confuses me. Of course some albums can be considered career highs but I genuinely feel as a life long fan there are 13 solo albums ranging from good to great...they're are NO bad.

There isn’t an album that isn’t worth owning, but you do Morrissey no favours by suggesting there is any comparison between Ringleaders and Dog. Dog is brilliant. As is World Peace and California.

There isn’t an album that isn’t worth owning, but you do Morrissey no favours by suggesting there is any comparison between Ringleaders and Dog. Dog is brilliant. As is World Peace and California.

Surely it comes down to preference - I think "World Peace" is the worst album he's ever made. Ringleader is usually slammed for a dreary, samey 'rock' sound but I'm not in love with the crap electro experiments on Dog, either - it's brilliant in places and unlistenable in others.

The point I'm making is that I like all the 13 solo albums and do not consider any to be 'bad'. What is clear from Viva Hate to Dog is the different music styles used, different production and different singing from Moz across this period from 1988 to 2020.
The thing that really confuses me though is how 'fans' casually hate certain albums...there is NOT one album that is worthy of that assessment.

Surely it comes down to preference - I think "World Peace" is the worst album he's ever made. Ringleader is usually slammed for a dreary, samey 'rock' sound but I'm not in love with the crap electro experiments on Dog, either - it's brilliant in places and unlistenable in others.
Dude, are you a musician? I'm guessing probably not. The issue with comparisons between Ringleader (even the name makes me cringe) and Dog on a Chain is not the arrangements. It's the music that sits underneath. The chords and the melodies. Ringleader of the Tormentors (such a crap title) just has very poor songwriting. It's stuffed full of badly written, flimsy songs. The music is the main problem but the lyrics are frequently awful too. The only good thing about it is the striking violin image on the cover.

I love them all, except CS...there are a few tracks on CS which are good, but some I just can't stand. It's the album I've listened to the least as it doesn't really hold any interest for me, & I don't really consider it a 'Morrissey' album to be honest.

I love them all, except CS...there are a few tracks on CS which are good, but some I just can't stand. It's the album I've listened to the least as it doesn't really hold any interest for me, & I don't really consider it a 'Morrissey' album to be honest.
I felt the same initially. But musically it’s incredibly diverse, and I feel it represents Morrissey and the band really challenging themselves.

On reflection, it sounds like the start of a new and daring musical chapter. In this sense I’m coming to consider it as a career keystone, like Arsenal, and Refusal. I only hope he can get a record deal soon, so this fresh phase can all be fully realised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, are you a musician? I'm guessing probably not. The issue with comparisons between Ringleader (even the name makes me cringe) and Dog on a Chain is not the arrangements. It's the music that sits underneath. The chords and the melodies. Ringleader of the Tormentors (such a crap title) just has very poor songwriting. It's stuffed full of badly written, flimsy songs. The music is the main problem but the lyrics are frequently awful too. The only good thing about it is the striking violin image on the cover.

Do I need to be? I was only saying that they have different musical styles. They've both got their share of flimsy songs. Is "At Last I Am Born" worse than "The Secret of Music"? Both dreadful to my ears. Dog might be more diverse and musically adventurous than chug-by-numbers Ringleader but that doesn't automatically make it great - "Darling, I...", "The Truth about Ruth"... those songs have no redeeming qualities, they are dire.

The thing that really confuses me though is how 'fans' casually hate certain albums...there is NOT one album that is worthy of that assessment.

You're confused because some fans don't love every single album? You must be confused a lot. Southpaw Grammar is a disaster from start to end and so is World Peace.

The point I'm making is that I like all the 13 solo albums and do not consider any to be 'bad'. What is clear from Viva Hate to Dog is the different music styles used, different production and different singing from Moz across this period from 1988 to 2020.

I like them all too - not always at first, but eventually.

I'd just sort out the covers.

You're confused because some fans don't love every single album? You must be confused a lot. Southpaw Grammar is a disaster from start to end and so is World Peace.
You're missing the point but hey Confusion Is My Middle Name, cheeky chops 😘

Do I need to be? I was only saying that they have different musical styles. They've both got their share of flimsy songs. Is "At Last I Am Born" worse than "The Secret of Music"? Both dreadful to my ears. Dog might be more diverse and musically adventurous than chug-by-numbers Ringleader but that doesn't automatically make it great - "Darling, I...", "The Truth about Ruth"... those songs have no redeeming qualities, they are dire.

There isn't a bad song on the last album. There really isn't.

I'm loving TSOM; genius piece of work despite my initial misgivings. As ever, Moz knows best.

There isn't a bad song on the last album. There really isn't.

Come on. This is a good song, to you?

"No trombone
Or glockenspiel could ever feel
The way I feel tonight"

Come on. This is a good song, to you?

"No trombone
Or glockenspiel could ever feel
The way I feel tonight"

I like it. It sounds like something off a The The album. The lyrics? I dunno. Haven't examined them in detail. They probably aren't much cop.

i like how what you claim, to be actual facts.
boyish Amy speaks, and facts are born.
Southpaw isn’t a disaster: WP is bobbins, I agree. Opinions, Opinions
I know know you love to be the phantom of all knowledge but, you’re not.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom