Rick Astley Twitter: Rick Astley & Blossoms perform the songs of The Smiths - 2 Smiths-themed concerts in October (September 14, 2021)

IMG_20210914_174101.jpg

Further to today's coverage of their Smiths covers, Rick Astley & Blossoms are playing 2 special Smiths-themed gigs in October.
Thanks to @davidt for the information.
Confirmed via ticket outlets:

(Link courtesy of @Uncleskinny)

full

Tweet posted by Surface:

Related item:
Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming they've cleared things to be doing gigs like this.
We wouldn't want another 'Classically Smiths' debacle. :)
FWD.

Blossoms had a number 1 album last year and are playing The MEN on Saturday night which has a capacity of 21K. Not sure why you think they have to do The Smiths thing to get their career back on track?
I never see them talked about on social media, the news nor the radio, they never headline big festivals. Bands such as the 1975 get 9x the amount of spotify listeners while Mumford and Sons get 8x

I certainly wouldn't say they are unknown, but to argue they are culturally relevant compared to similar bands such as those I have mentioned seems silly. I don't think the concert is purely to launch them back into relevancy, but picking a band such as the Smiths (which currently has a lot of new younger fans who never saw them live who are more than happy to have a different lead singer) is certainly no accident and I wouldn't argue they really want to do anything productive for The Smiths' legacy.

I never see them talked about on social media, the news nor the radio, they never headline big festivals. Bands such as the 1975 get 9x the amount of spotify listeners while Mumford and Sons get 8x

I certainly wouldn't say they are unknown, but to argue they are culturally relevant compared to similar bands such as those I have mentioned seems silly. I don't think the concert is purely to launch them back into relevancy, but picking a band such as the Smiths (which currently has a lot of new younger fans who never saw them live who are more than happy to have a different lead singer) is certainly no accident and I wouldn't argue they really want to do anything productive for The Smiths' legacy.
Whether you see them talked about on social media or not, they had a number 1 album just last year and are playing the MEN on Saturday night. Next year they are supporting The Killers on their UK stadium tour which has sold 400k tickets.

Your original comment was they are doing The Smiths gigs to get their career back on track, I'd argue they are doing it because it's a fun thing for them to do.

Saw this earlier and it had no real context:

Screenshot_20210915-145103~2.png

Then found some:

Morrissey mocked after Rick Astley and Blossoms team up for The Smiths performances

('Morrissey' got to #46 trending UK earlier).
Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 76304

Then found some:

Morrissey mocked after Rick Astley and Blossoms team up for The Smiths performances

Regards,
FWD.

Do you know what was history making about the gigs, the only thing I'm aware of are Sam's comments around merchandise on the first night?

View attachment 76304

Then found some:

Regards,
FWD.
I'll be out of the country for the Manchester gig, but I would gladly pay to see Rick and the band play a set of Smiths. He's a terrific guy, he clearly loves the band, and he does it so, so well. I'm not sure in a live setting others have matched - maybe The Killers, but this was terrific

View attachment 76304

Then found some:

Regards,
FWD.

Some of'em can't even relax and have fun with it.
Just let Rick and them do their thing and enjoy it.

View attachment 76294

Further to today's coverage of their Smiths covers, Rick Astley & Blossoms are playing 2 special Smiths-themed gigs in October.
Thanks to @davidt for the information.
Confirmed via ticket outlets:

(Link courtesy of @Uncleskinny)

full

Related item:
Media item:

Rick Astley has always seemed inoffensive and this seems like a nice homage to the Smiths, so why turn it into anything else. The MSM is all but irrelevant at this point, they have to try and stay in business somehow. Cue the rehash of old news. It beats telling the truth I suppose.

I'll be out of the country for the Manchester gig, but I would gladly pay to see Rick and the band play a set of Smiths. He's a terrific guy, he clearly loves the band, and he does it so, so well. I'm not sure in a live setting others have matched - maybe The Killers, but this was terrific

And the country heaves a collective sigh of relief...don't come back!

Smiths songs being performed is their selling point, and another reason why people are going.

As FWD mentioned, I guess it got cleared by Marr. Must be getting a cut ;)

Smiths songs being performed is their selling point, and another reason why people are going.

Do you mean for these 2 gigs as Blossoms don't need to play anyone else's songs to sell tickets for their gigs. Apparently you do not need the artists agreement to cover their songs live in the UK.

Given there's a whiff of some Smiths music being played by someone, somewhere, is Joyce planning any legal action, or submitting a claim for 10% or so, do we know? :unsure: Must be some angle he could try, surely...

If Mozza has any sense of humour left, he should pay respect to Blossoms and Rick by encoring with 'Never Gonna' Give You Up'. He could even use the photo of them together as his backdrop - nice!

"We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching, but you're too shy to say it
Inside, we both know what's been going on
We know the game, and we're gonna play it"

Do you mean for these 2 gigs as Blossoms don't need to play anyone else's songs to sell tickets for their gigs.
Are you saying that I said they can’t sell tickets by just playing their own songs?, because I never said that in my post.
Apparently you do not need the artists agreement to cover their songs live in the UK.
I believe that, but I wonder what the deal was for Classically Smiths that Marr
stopped from happening then.

Given there's a whiff of some Smiths music being played by someone, somewhere, is Joyce planning any legal action, or submitting a claim for 10% or so, do we know? :unsure: Must be some angle he could try, surely...

don’t worry, his lawyers are on the case.

;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom