Rick Astley & Blossoms - Albert Hall, Manchester post gig thread (October 8, 2021)

Entered to Coronation Street theme and opened with What Difference Does It Make?

Setlist:

What Difference Does It Make?
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Still Ill
Reel Around The Fountain
Cemetry Gates
Ask
Hand In Glove
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Girlfriend In A Coma
Well I Wonder
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Panic
William, It Was Really Nothing
Barbarism Begins at Home
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Encore:
How Soon Is Now?
This Charming Man
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Regards,
FWD.

(Post anything related to this gig here).

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasn't the only thing I mentioned, but sure. Also: interesting that you chose to reply to an older post rather than my latest one.

You mean this one below?

They're not quite from the same generation, but relatively close (LG is 13 years younger), both from Greater Manchester, both make guitar based alternative rock with obvious commercial leanings, both have fronted huge Manchester bands. So I'd say they're obvious competitors.

But I did reply, see post #112

It's sort of remarkable how every other band seems to be able to play Smiths songs with a deftness and agility except for Morrissey's.
That’s because you know the value of everything and the price of nothing,

Apparently loads of popularity, cash and cultural kudos goes with the job.

All the things I hate.

Plenty of ‘successful’ clown-shoes out there. Nothings wrong with that, just own it though.

80k per night apparently, Not bad for someone who isn’t an artist according to Ketamine😂

It’s obvious that one doesn’t have to be an artist to be very .. ‘successful’.

Gotta to say Blossoms have delivered the musical elements really well, Ricks voice is a lot deeper than Morrissey's but it works and at the end of the day Ricks fulfilled his ambition of playing a Smiths set. He played 18 Smiths songs which is pretty good going!

What a wonderful and fun celebration of The Smiths music. Well done!

Not according to people who were there.

Perspectives were mixed. There was lots of love for Morrissey. But I’d say it was a Blossoms gig, ultimately. The Smiths fans were wasted, mostly, at the back. But everyone knew the songs.

What was interesting was the recognition that fat bald idiot blokes are The Smiths fan base. These are the people we’d meet if…

I can understand why Johnny might be uncomfortable with what shows like this could lead to. He had wanted to reform the Smiths but it did't happen. These are big names, Rick Astley and the Blossoms, not just earnest cover bands. For Morrissey its just a funny win win situation. It did look fun. Groovy set list.

Perspectives were mixed. There was lots of love for Morrissey. But I’d say it was a Blossoms gig, ultimately. The Smiths fans were wasted, mostly, at the back. But everyone knew the songs.

What was interesting was the recognition that fat bald idiot blokes are The Smiths fan base. These are the people we’d meet if…

Yes I agree, I only posted the video as Ketamine likes to diss anything thing that doesn't fit her warped agenda and I like winding her up.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom