Rick Astley & Blossoms - Albert Hall, Manchester post gig thread (October 8, 2021)

Entered to Coronation Street theme and opened with What Difference Does It Make?

Setlist:

What Difference Does It Make?
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Still Ill
Reel Around The Fountain
Cemetry Gates
Ask
Hand In Glove
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Girlfriend In A Coma
Well I Wonder
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Panic
William, It Was Really Nothing
Barbarism Begins at Home
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Encore:
How Soon Is Now?
This Charming Man
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Regards,
FWD.

(Post anything related to this gig here).

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the front of this gig. For the first time in about 15 years. My boy is a mosh pit convert. Although it was mostly doddery old f***ers like me.
It was a bit of a role reversal I thought. The Smiths generation of fans standing at the front and the Blossoms generation on the balconies and towards the back!

No, I’d rather not get involved

Well I do and my neighbour knows I like Morrissey/Buzzcocks/New Order and loads of others, so from time to time we talk about stuff related to them, although most of the time we talk about things like - are you letting your Lay Z spa down for winter, corona virus, kids passing driving tests and stuff like that.

It was a bit of a role reversal I thought. The Smiths generation of fans standing at the front and the Blossoms generation on the balconies and towards the back!
Ah, yes. As I noticed on ‘comfort breaks’. I kept it real at the front: my experience was hardcore blossoms fans and a few families who had lovers of everything. Definitely more ‘blokes’ towards the back.

It's sort of remarkable how every other band seems to be able to play Smiths songs with a deftness and agility except for Morrissey's.

Well I do and my neighbour knows I like Morrissey/Buzzcocks/New Order and loads of others, so from time to time we talk about stuff related to them, although most of the time we talk about things like - are you letting your Lay Z spa down for winter, corona virus, kids passing driving tests and stuff like that.

So Bernard and Hooky haven’t told you anything? But you do get all your Morrissey information from your neighbors ?

I mention sales because you say some may see that there may be some competition between them.

And I don’t.

Never thought M as avant-garde :lbf:

:lbf:
They're not quite from the same generation, but relatively close (LG is 13 years younger), both from Greater Manchester, both make guitar based alternative rock with obvious commercial leanings, both have fronted huge Manchester bands. So I'd say they're obvious competitors.

So Bernard and Hooky haven’t told you anything? But you do get all your Morrissey information from your neighbors ?

One of them is my neighbour as you and some others on here already know (particularly the ones who have been to Alderley Edge)

What I mean is, that some are so enamoured with Mozzer that they see everyone else doing even remotely the same thing (guitar-based alternative music) as competition and therefor feel the need to shit on these artists and bands. Some have a hard time respecting both Moz and those that might be his competition.

Nah, I don’t see every guitar based act as competition to Morrissey. Lol

Nah, I don’t see every guitar based act as competition to Morrissey. Lol
That wasn't the only thing I mentioned, but sure. Also: interesting that you chose to reply to an older post rather than my latest one.

They're not quite from the same generation, but relatively close (LG is 13 years younger), both from Greater Manchester, both make guitar based alternative rock with obvious commercial leanings, both have fronted huge Manchester bands. So I'd say they're obvious competitors.

You may see it that way, I don’t.

And I would bet Morrissey most likely is happy to see a Manchester act being so successful.

One of them is my neighbour as you and some others on here already know (particularly the ones who have been to Alderley Edge)

So you ‘decipher’ your neighbor’s gossip and take it for truth ? Ok, that’s fine.

So you ‘decipher’ your neighbor’s gossip and take it for truth ? Ok, that’s fine.

Why would it be gossip, you really are a bizarre individual and as Hovis mentioned you literally know nothing about the Manchester music scene. The artists from that time knew and still know each other very well. Right now Morrissey is 20 mins from Bernard Sumner/Peter Hook, 5 mins from Johnny Marr and Mike Joyce, as I said you hear and see what artists want to to see, the reality may be very different.

Last edited:
Why would it be gossip,
Why not?
you really are a bizarre individual and as Hovis mentioned you literally know nothing about the Manchester music scene.

Nothing? How’s that?

The artists from that time knew and still know each other very well. Right now Morrissey is 20 mins from Bernard Sumner/Peter Hook, 5 mins from Johnny Marr and Mike Joyce,

Yeah, so. What’s that have to do with Manchester music knowledge?

as I said you hear and see what artists want to to see, the reality may be very different.

Yes, and you hear what your neighbor wants you to hear. The reality may be very different.

What I mean is, that some are so enamoured with Mozzer that they see everyone else doing even remotely the same thing (guitar-based alternative music) as competition and therefor feel the need to shit on these artists and bands. Some have a hard time respecting both Moz and those that might be his competition.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom