Richard Hawley

The Goat

Banned
Local indie station Revolution 96.2FM (Oldham based!) has been playing a song
'Born under a bad sign' by Richard Hawley which I instantly loved!
I thought it was a 60's song as the voice and production certainly give it that feel. It reminds me of Skeeter Davis's 'Its the end of the world'.
I thought this would be a classic song for Morrissey to cover and was shocked into shame to discover that the song was only released this year!

Anyone else heard it?

The Goat

Half of the Coles Corner tracks are great, but it does become boring. I prefer his style when he's with Jarvis. I mean, did you see him on Later? Absolutely fantastic.

Local indie station Revolution 96.2FM (Oldham based!) has been playing a song
'Born under a bad sign' by Richard Hawley which I instantly loved!
I thought it was a 60's song as the voice and production certainly give it that feel. It reminds me of Skeeter Davis's 'Its the end of the world'.
I thought this would be a classic song for Morrissey to cover and was shocked into shame to discover that the song was only released this year!

Anyone else heard it?

The Goat

Oh Jesus, you'll get Irene back and on our case soon!!

Peter

I just purchased Cole's Corner earlier today. I am literally blown away.

Can someone please help me off the floor?

He's great! I absolutely love this song and his voice! I play this song almost everytime I dj! :)

Half of the Coles Corner tracks are great, but it does become boring. I prefer his style when he's with Jarvis. I mean, did you see him on Later? Absolutely fantastic.

I go along with this. I was most intrigued when I got the album but the novelty wore off after a while and I've not played it for a few weeks now.

(I'm like that tho' - shallow, with a short attention span...)

I quite like it. But I think if you're going to do pastiche you need to bring some new elements into it as well.

Really liked 'Just like the rain' (possibly the first single) which also had a great b-side called Room with a View. But like others, I found the album really disappointing (took it back after a week). Lyrics were full of clichés and a lot of the songs were just instantly forgettable with very weak melodies. Amazing how well the album did. Guess it had a novelty appeal; 1990's indie rock guitarist magically re-invented as 1950's crooner!

Last edited:
Are you people in a time warp I was listening to this album 2 summers ago, Born under a bad sign should be used has the new Eastenders theme music.

richard hawley's on jools holland, tonight (starting in a mo). i dunno if it's a repeat, though

i'm sure you'll already know that he auditioned to be in mr. morrissey's band 1991 (or am i being a complete geek? :o )

Last edited:
richard hawley's on jools holland, tonight (starting in a mo). i dunno if it's a repeat, though

i'm sure you'll already know that he auditioned to be in mr. morrissey's band 1991 (or am i being a complete geek? :o )
That's where I've heard his name:cool:

Im listening to a concert by him at the radio now.. good music:)

Back
Top Bottom