Richard Hawley 'Truelove's Gutter'

Re: Richard Hawley new album...

Thank you very much, neither can I (the single's wonderful) but no I don't think it has.
He's playing and signing at Rough Trade East on Brick Lane on Friday 25th (7pm) and Piccadilly Records in Manchester (4pm) on the 21st too if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Re: Richard Hawley 'Truelove's Gutless'

I've seen it on quite a few download sites.

Jesuisbryony my love , how was it for you? xx

It was beautiful, the only disappointment was we (my mother and I, it's such mum music) missed the encore to catch the train. Otherwise it was tip top. :)

Your mum's cool, shame about the encore..it was probably rubbish. x

Next week NME Radio will have competions (autographed CDs plus two tickets of Sheffield Crucible gig and a hotel accommodation).

Tune in NME Radio 10:00-12:00.

Truelove's Gutter is astoundingly good. I love Richard Hawley and like his obsession with Sheffield where I originally hail from. All his records are slow burners and just get better with each listening. I think he once auditioned to play guitar for Morrissey but blew his chances when he started singing! There was only room for one lovely singing voice naturally.
One of his songs is in this little zip file for anyone who wants to lend him an ear:
http://rapidshare.com/files/297372834/songs.rar

I really like the support act from his recent tour.
Smoke Fairies.
Their latest single:
http://www.last.fm/music/Smoke+Fairies/_/Sunshine
Smoke_Fairies_2.jpg

Last edited:
His albums are really, really good - quite a revelation. When I compare them to Jarvis' rather dull solo stuff, they also make me think he must have represented an essential part of Pulp's musical capital. The thing that made Pulp so great, apart from elements that a lot of pop bands have, was a certain indefinable quirkiness, a vague undertone of seaside resort piers, bingo halls and bordering-on-ridiculous sixtiesish sentimental sounds. I thought I had it figured out when I learned that Peter Thomas Soundorchester (purveyors of ludicruous theme music to the sixties German sci-fi TV series Die Raumpatrouille) was an influence on them, but it's all of it right there, in Hawley's solo stuff, that referencing of old styles and tricks that are so essentially outmoded that they make you immediately suspect irony is at play when you encounter them (not that it is). Which is why one above poster is so absolutely right to describe this as "quintessentially mum music". It's a thin line over to Helmut Lotti, but fortunately that line consists in taste and style. In Pulp, these things were in the margins, modifiers on otherwise conventional pop music one could say. Here, it's the very center of things - unapologetically obsolete, and all the more alive for it.

cheers

Last edited:
Iain Baker just said that Richard would be on NME Radio 16th December around 14:30 ish.

If you like his music, tune in!

Tags
guinness hawley
Back
Top Bottom