Richard Hawley ripping off King Leer

I am not sure to be honest, i am not sure what the deal was with this. Whether he was just running/controlling the label or actually owned it.

From Sanctuary Group's (defunct) site:
Labels
Attack Records
6 January 2005

The Attack Records label was revived in 2003 with the signing of Morrissey to Sanctuary Records.

Morrissey's million selling 2004 album 'You Are The Quarry' and the hit singles from it were released on the label. Morrissey has also signed a number of acts to the label including New York Dolls, Nancy Sinatra and Jobriath.

http://www.musicremedy.com/m/Morrissey/album/You_Are_The_Quarry-650.html
Prior to signing with the Sanctuary family, Morrissey said he met with the label's chief executive officer Merck Mercuriadis in New York and expressed interest in reviving the Attack label. "They had a drawer full of labels that they bought and Attack was part of the Trojan family," Morrissey said. "I've been a fan of the Attack label for quite some time. I have a Gregory Isaacs seven inch on my refrigerator. Well, I told Sanctuary that I wanted to re-launch the label and have Quarry released on Attack and they agreed."

Attack was launched in 1969 and became the breeding ground for dub and reggae artists including Gregory Isaacs, Family Circle and The Monkey, many of whom at the time had no place to showcase their talents. The label became part of the legendary Trojan Records in the 1970s. Trojan itself is wholly-owned by Sanctuary.

Morrissey will also sign new talent to the Attack label. Morrissey said he's already found three bands to work with and has written a song that was recorded by legendary chanteuse Nancy Sinatra, who will release an album on the label in the near future.

Maybe Hawley is getting his own back at Morrissey for not letting him be part of his band...
Apparently Morrissey commented on his smoking habit, then Hawley said if he could sing...And Morrissey just looked at him...Something of that ilk anyway...It's in The Smiths/Morrissey special edition of Q Magazine if anyone wants to look it up...I can't find mine :(

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks! Still won't help me find my copy though :(

I'm no devotee of the grossly over-rated hare-lipped crooner but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest Hawley's tune is a King Leer rip-off. It has mild similarities but nothing more.

Morrissey did not invent the rockabilly genre.

richard hawley is like a rolling stone freelancer turned pop singer. he's hit the jackpot really. i mean lets leave the guy alone.

I'm no devotee of the grossly over-rated hare-lipped crooner but it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest Hawley's tune is a King Leer rip-off. It has mild similarities but nothing more.

Morrissey did not invent the rockabilly genre.

I gotta agree. It's vaguely similar but imho nowhere near a rip off. It's got a good bit of standard rockabilly sound to it and that's about it.

I'll even go so far as to say it's kinda catchy, too.

Hardly ripping off at all and Hawley's voice is much better than Morrissey's

The most blatent bit of borrowing has to be 'Girl Least likely to' that was a change the lyrics and a few notes job

Which song do you think sounds like "Girl Least likely to" ?

at least hawley as stayed true to the northern working class english roots that have made him and is still well in touch with reality unlike morrissey.
which is one of the things that turns me off him these days.

It wasn't particularly meant to be a slur on Hawley, all artists do it. It was just something I picked up on and shared. As for it only being similar because it's a rockabilly song, I think that's nonsense. Morrissey and The Smiths have done plenty of other rockabilly songs and it sounds like none of them. It does sound exactly like King Leer. So much so, that before I knew whose song it was, I expected Morrissey to start singing on it.

Hawley is a fan of Morrissey's, why wouldn't he nick stuff? That's what all artists do to their heroes.

Back
Top Bottom