Richard Davalos, ‘East of Eden’ Actor, Dies at 85

Roberto Ferdenzi posted the link:

Richard Davalos, ‘East of Eden’ Actor, Dies at 85 - Variety

Actor Richard Davalos, who played James Dean’s brother Aron in Elia Kazan’s 1955 film “East of Eden,” died Tuesday at St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, Calif. He was 85.

Davalos approached stardom in the ’50s and ’60s with roles in “East of Eden” and as convict Blind Dick in 1967 classic “Cool Hand Luke,” starring Paul Newman. While working on “East of Eden,” Davalos and Dean roomed together in a Burbank apartment. His other credits include “I Died a Thousand Times” (1955), “All the Young Men” (1960), “The Cabinet of Caligari” (1962), “Pit Stop” (1969), “Kelly’s Heroes” (1970), “Brother, Cry for Me” (also 1970), “Hot Stuff” (1979), “Death Hunt” (1981), “Something Wicked This Way Comes” (1983) and his final screen credit, 2008’s “Ninja Cheerleaders.”

The actor also had an active career in television. He starred with Darryl Hickman in NBC’s brief series “The Americans” in 1961 and guested on shows including “Bonanza,” “Hawaiian Eye,” “77 Sunset Strip,” “Perry Mason,” “Rawhide,” “Mannix,” “SWAT,” “The Rockford Files,” “Hawaii Five-O,” “The Jeffersons,” “Hart to Hart” and “Murder, She Wrote.”

In the ’90s, Davalos gained a measure of pop music fame by appearing on the covers of multiple albums for the Smiths. He appears in the album art for “Strangeways,” “Here We Come,” “Best…I” and “…Best II.”

He was the father of actress Elyssa Davalos and musician Dominique Davalos and the grandfather of actress Alexa Davalos, who stars on Amazon’s “The Man in the High Castle.”

richard-davalos-dead.jpg

ADAM also posted the link:

Richard Davalos, 'East of Eden' and 'Cool Hand Luke' Actor, Dies at 85 - The Hollywood Reporter

Last edited by a moderator:
One handsome dude. This pic made one hell of a Smiths cover art, even if it only made it's way to the Best... l & ll compilation and The Complete Picture.

the_smiths_-_the_complete_picture_-_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly someone who has printed one of the most beautiful images as we know to The Smiths. :(:clap:
richard_davalos_1955_-_h_2016-600x338.jpg
a_l_est_d_eden_east_of_eden_1954_diaporama_portrait.jpg
images
8211f81bab4903451d5a983be3584e69.jpg 12534608_658172487655882_719854288_n.jpg

One handsome dude. This pic made one hell of a Smiths cover art, even if it only made it's way to the Best... l & ll compilation and The Complete Picture.

the_smiths_-_the_complete_picture_-_cover.jpg

He looked great in his short scenes in Cool Hand Luke. He was massively under used in that film.

cool hand luke.jpg

One of the most strangely affecting things that i recall from "Autobiography" is Morrissey's queerly fond remembrance of Richard's ring ~

circa. August 1986
"Backstage in Los Angeles, the actor Richard Davalos walks towards me, and, saying nothing, places a square-faced silver ring on the third finger of my left hand. Looking not an hour older than when he played James Deans's screen brother in East of Eden in 1955, Davalos now lives in Echo Park and tends to his garden. A series of beautifully printed letters arrive from Richard at Cadogan Square:

by way of thanks for your magnetic performance here in Los Angeles. It was a truly remarkable evening. You are so very special. RICHARD.

Richard's ring fastened itself to my finger for the next few years, until I suddenly wondered what it was doing there.
"

tumblr_ngc078wxkk1so2s5mo1_1280.jpg

Rest in Peace.

Last edited:
One of the most strangely affecting things that i recall from "Autobiography" is Morrissey's queerly fond remembrance of Richard's ring ~

circa. August 1986
"Backstage in Los Angeles, the actor Richard Davalos walks towards me, and, saying nothing, places a square-faced silver ring on the third finger of my left hand. Looking not an hour older than when he played James Deans's screen brother in East of Eden in 1955, Davalos now lives in Echo Park and tends to his garden. A series of beautifully printed letters arrive from Richard at Cadogan Square:

by way of thanks for your magnetic performance here in Los Angeles. It was a truly remarkable evening. You are so very special. RICHARD.

Richard's ring fastened itself to my finger for the next few years, until I suddenly wondered what it was doing there.
"

Rest in Peace.

Morrissey in his gorgeous glory. There won't be another one, so soak it in while he is around. Long live S.P.M.

circa. August 1986

"

Rest in Peace.

Is there a picture of Moz wearing this ring?

Is there a picture of Moz wearing this ring?

I don't get it. So the two were engaged? I know Moz and Damon are engaged or married by now. So Moz is giving it another go then. The Ringmaster! The Lord of the Rings! The Ringleader of the Tormentors! It's come full circle. I hope he's good to Damon - he seems sweet and must have the patience of Job to endure that infernal swine and his demands.

is east of eden worth watching? i watched rebel without a cause recently and it was kind of silly. james dean looked like he could've been someones dad not a high school student. but the thing i got out of it was the surprise discovery that james dean actually seemed very likeable. there was something touching and poignant about him which i wasnt expecting. i think moz's affection for him is rather sweet and i love that picture someone made of the two of them.

Morrissey in his gorgeous glory. There won't be another one, so soak it in while he is around. Long live S.P.M.

Wanna bet? JT is nothing to sneeze at. He is übertalented and multidimensional. Check it out:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/barry-gibb-talk-show/n12498

And his sick moves here:

I saw him and Britney at a party when he wasn't all that famous yet. She had really thick legs, and he still had that nasty NSync permfro. Amazing how ugly some celebrities are in person. George Clooney was gross up close. Morrissey is probably better looking in person - he seems to have that aura about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
is east of eden worth watching? i watched rebel without a cause recently and it was kind of silly. james dean looked like he could've been someones dad not a high school student. but the thing i got out of it was the surprise discovery that james dean actually seemed very likeable. there was something touching and poignant about him which i wasnt expecting. i think moz's affection for him is rather sweet and i love that picture someone made of the two of them.

Personally, I find East of Eden the best James Dean film. It's based on John Steinbeck's biblical allegory — Genesis replayed in Monterey, California, circa 1917 — which is more palatable on the screen, thanks to the down-to-earth performances of James Dean as Cal/Cain and Richard Davalos as Aron/Abel.
Just avoid Giant, which is mostly awful.

East of Eden is the better film (in my opinion). Rebel Without A Cause is only worth watching for the amounts of coded gay symbols in there (read The Celluloid Closet, and then watch it again and it's surprisingly blatant). Giant is also worth a watch, if only the complete the Dean trifecta.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom