Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / email

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

Morrissey only seems to spend time with people on his payroll or fans (Julia, Russell Brand). They are all going to continuously tell him "yes". Richard Blade is risking being banished for his statement, but he's right.

Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

Let me tell you a little about this radio guy. In the early 90s he would promote "Morrissey nights" events at different clubs. On those nights he would play 2 Morrissey songs and the rest of the night he would play "techno" music, so f*** him.

This made me lol.

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

I agree. I don't know why people get so concerned about my hero's business dealings. I'm a big enough fan to keep up to date with what he's doing. Thanks to Moz I knew which album I wanted to purchase with my I-Tunes gift card. Thanks to Moz I get to listen to great music. I like that Moz isn't a butt-kisser. That's what makes him so rare. All the others are fake ass suck ups chasing ambulances so desperate for money. They only act friendly when they want something. Well, remember what Blade said after his Morrissey interview in 1991? He wished he'd asked for a date! Maybe that's why Moz avoids him. LOL.

Some guy on a radio show doesn't approve of Morrissey's career choices? Oh, well f***ing hell.

Morrissey has been doing this for roughly 30 years. Do you really think he's going to change? People do not change. Get over it. It's a record deal gone bad. It isn't the end of Morrissey's world. All you have control over is how you hear his music coming out of the speakers and on stage. The rest has sweet f*** all to do with us. Close your eyes and try to imagine just how meaningless these rants about how he operates are to him. Does that put it in perspective for you? You're just howling at the moon.

What the hell do you want to be his guidance counsellor for? Life is too f***ing short...

I don't know who Richard Blade is but if Morrissey was a perfect human being of perfection he wouldn't have been able to make all of those brilliant records. You take the rough with the smooth to dial a cliche.

When other people have their heads on the line and have to fund paying the band, the taxman, etc, then they're allowed an equal say. Until that day comes Moz is the boss and what he says goes, that's life. If people don't like it they can f*** off and that goes more for the moaning pisswits that fill this site up than anyone.
"I don't know who Richard Blade is " well, he is on sirius radio's "first wave" EVERYDAY promoting and saying nothing but positive things
about morrissey and the smiths a Englishman who knows a hell of a lot about morrissey and the smiths then you or that nitwit "marred" do
'mozz is the boss" too funny, that all ended after "YOR" then that bag of wind autobiography followed by a cancelled tour
and the worst crap he's EVER released -like ALL his disks, he claims it to be his best -that joke isn't funny ,it's just sad .

Last edited:
Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

Richard Blade is a class act. I listen to channel 33 Sirius all the time. I love the fact he reached out to Morrissey. Pretty sure Morrissey has social anxiety and might be real reason he said no. If you add up everything that has happened, this is the root cause. Love you Moz

If you pay to see Moz, then that's what you get, to see him. If not, you get a refund. Don't expect him to do what you want him to do and "complete the show" (how many songs make it complete?) or "be entertaining" (whatever *you* think is entertaining.) If paying to see Moz isn't a good deal then don't do it. I don't. I win tickets and go just to "see" him without expecting him to sing my favorite songs or act in any particular way. I think Moz is a worthy enough person/artist to "see" and if I was rich I would pay, but since I'm not, I go for free.

Sorry, I am not delusional enough to believe that buying tickets and recordings constitutes any kind of relationship with Morrissey at all. If I buy a ticket to a show, I expect him to actually show up and complete the show and be entertaining. I also only pay money to support people I believe to be decent human beings, and he is falling short on that lately. I have been a fan since the 80's and have seen Moz many times (well, as many times as he has actually shown up). Just because he admits he is an asshole doesn't actually give him license to be one.

"I don't know who Richard Blade is " well, he is on sirius radio's "first wave" EVERYDAY promoting and saying nothing but positive things
about morrissey and the smiths a Englishman who knows a hell of a lot about morrissey and the smiths then you or that nitwit "marred" do
'mozz is the boss" too funny, that all ended after "YOR" then that bag of wind autobiography followed by a cancelled tour
and the worst crap he's EVER released -like ALL his disks, he claims it to be his best -that joke isn't funny ,it's just sad .

Punctuation is your friend.

After knowing the full context of Richard Blades email I think Morrissey should take him up on his offer. He will get more exposure than any other current options. Maybe he might even get a record label to listen.

about morrissey
and the smiths a Englishman who knows a hell of a lot about morrissey and the smiths then you or that nitwit "marred" do

Right, so he's a Morrissey fan with a radio show. Wow! All hail!

Some of your grammar is a little off, so apologies if I missed something.

Last edited:

Right, so he's a Morrissey fan with a radio show. Wow! All hail!

Some of your grammar is a little off, so apologies if I missed something.

Richard Blade is one of the Grandfathers of Indie radio. He became popular in the California area in the late 80s and early 90s on KROQ. KROQ was the only radio during that time that played alternative music. Later in the late 90s they started playing RAP music, which is a whole different story. He was/is a big fan of The Smiths and Morrissey. It was common at one point to hear a Smiths or Morrissey song every 30 minutes on that radio station. After Viva Hate he was one the first DJs to get Morrissey to sit down with him for a radio interview. I remember recording the interview on a cassette.

My following out with Richard Blade was when he would promote "Morrissey nights" at southern California clubs. However, when I would go, he would play a few songs then back to other crap. One night I approached him and told him to stop calling it "Morrissey nights" if he was only going to play a few songs of his. Needless to say, my party and I were thrown out.

However, after reading the full context of his letters I think Morrissey should take him up on his offer.

Richard Blade is one of the Grandfathers of Indie radio. He became popular in the California area in the late 80s and early 90s on KROQ. KROQ was the only radio during that time that played alternative music. Later in the late 90s they started playing RAP music, which is a whole different story. He was/is a big fan of The Smiths and Morrissey. It was common at one point to hear a Smiths or Morrissey song every 30 minutes on that radio station. After Viva Hate he was one the first DJs to get Morrissey to sit down with him for a radio interview. I remember recording the interview on a cassette.

My following out with Richard Blade was when he would promote "Morrissey nights" at southern California clubs. However, when I would go, he would play a few songs then back to other crap. One night I approached him and told him to stop calling it "Morrissey nights" if he was only going to play a few songs of his. Needless to say, my party and I were thrown out.

However, after reading the full context of his letters I think Morrissey should take him up on his offer.

Well he's had nothing to with my time listening to Morrissey. I don't care whether he takes him up on his offer or not. I'd say the latter is the most plausible. He's not going to team up with a DJ to release records. That must be obvious to most people.

Well he's had nothing to with my time listening to Morrissey. I don't care whether he takes him up on his offer or not. I'd say the latter is the most plausible. He's not going to team up with a DJ to release records. That must be obvious to most people.

I guess my only point is that Richard Blade is probably very sincere on trying to get Morrissey exposure and I don't see any other offers. However, it's Morrissey life and he can do as he pleases. Only he knows what's best for him as only we know what's best for us.

I guess my only point is that Richard Blade is probably very sincere on trying to get Morrissey exposure and I don't see any other offers. However, it's Morrissey life and he can do as he pleases. Only he knows what's best for him as only we know what's best for us.

Yes, let's watch this space.

It appears that he's a dj, he plays records. Next up you'll be telling us Carl Cox is the messiah.

If we're looking to someone who knows Moz, Simon Goddard know his stuff.

Last edited:
Blade's sentiment is fine, but it's something he could say to Morrissey face-to-face over a beer, or via fax.
He has a line of communication with the Man so he doesn't need to post it publicly like the rest of us.

Blade's sentiment is fine, but it's something he could say to Morrissey face-to-face over a beer, or via fax.
He has a line of communication with the Man so he doesn't need to post it publicly like the rest of us.

That's my feeling about it as well. As I've said, I know nothing about Richard Blade (aside from the rather conflicted views of him shared in this thread), but the "open letter" format favored by so many people with internet access and a large audience always comes across to me like an attempt at publicly humiliating the recipient into responding—knowing they'll look bad if they don't. It's all very self-important.

Morrissey's life these days: cancel a gig, release a sub par album, rant on TTY, cancel a gig, hire a killer, rant on TTY, get fired by a major label, rant on TTY, cancel a gig, start touring again, cancel a gig, rant on TTY and so on.

The rythm of life goes round....

If Morrissey released this as a lyric of a new tune he would immediately turn a corner....

The point is that Morrissey has been carefully explaining that he wasn't invited onto media outlets to promote the album - and that no one is interested in the record. He seems to lay the blame for this at the door of Harvest.

And now a very reliable source is saying that Morrissey was invited onto his show that has 26 million listeners.

AND Blade is so sure of this that he's renewing that offer! (And someone some very nice and beautiful things about Moz while doing it - no blame - just making the offer crystal clear.)

So clearly Morrissey has either been lying. Or he didn't know about this offer.

But Blade seems to have emailed him directly...?

So the question is - why has he been lying about this?

WHY?

An uncharitable view would be that he likes to play the victim...
Or could it be the result of something else? Is someone keeping this info from him?

It just doesn't make sense.

I'm American and I have no idea who Richard Blade is either. Never heard of the man.

Oddly enough, I do know who John Peel is.

If you were a teenager living in Los Angeles during the late '80s and you didn't know who Richard Blade was, you were living in a cave in the San Gabriel mountains.

If you were a teenager living in Los Angeles during the late '80s and you didn't know who Richard Blade was, you were living in a cave in the San Gabriel mountains.

Well, he certainly isn't the American version of John Peel (like the past post said).

He's the LA version.

Basically just a local DJ and those are a dime a dozen.

My, this is interesting. I've been a fan since 1987, but I'm a fan of his work, when he works, and not of Morrissey as a human being. Undoubtedly, Morrissey has a very loyal circle and his ego - which surely had some major damage when his genius went unrecognised until the grand old age of 25 or thereabouts - obviously felt so humiliated by ordinary life that he now no longer tolerates such tedium. But when your best friend is on the payroll, it's not gonna work out. Looked at from the outside, Moz's career has been turbulent since 1995, with a new label every album, countless frankly worthless compilations, and lots of cancelled / abandoned tours in 1994, 1995, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014. Morrissey wants the world to come to HIM, he's been doing this for 30 years by now, WHY does he have to do interviews? WHY?

Also, as a Morrissey fan I've seen enough to not participate at certain point. "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" had live one track b-sides. That's not value. Didn't buy those. "The Very Best Of..."? A DVD with 9/10ths of it on the 2000 US DVD and a CD with one previously unreleased version on. Nein danke. Touring? That's Russian Roulette and odds are, if you go to more than 1 show a decade, you may very well get a postponement or cancellation. The endless reissues with altered artwork and bastardised tracklistings? Don't need those, thank you. Nor the Stalinist rewriting of history pretending "Roys Keen" and "Papa Jack" were never released. Everything Morrissey does I now weigh up carefully and consider if it is worth getting, or risking. And it's not just one or two or three... Morrissey always seems to have a dog that's eating his homework.

If were running a label I wouldn't invest in him. Too difficult, risky. You don't see people moaning about other bands and acts like this : Depeche Mode cancel when they have cancer. Kraftwerk when one of them has a heart attack. Not because, as I saw in 2008, he has a cough and feels a bit 'down'. Morrissey expects the world to recognise his genius, just because he does. And it must really hurt him that he cannot control the dialogue on this site. Jaysus. All we want really is for him to stick out records, finish tours, and NOT issue an angry 1,000 word missive weekly on his website. Is that too much to ask?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom