Richard Attenborough dies - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

Richard Attenborough dies - true-to-you.net
26 August 2014

"I was thrilled beyond words to have met Richard Attenborough, who, of course, played Pinkie in Brighton Rock (1947), a central theme of my song Now my heart is full. When I met Sir Richard he was delightful, and I asked him if Brighton Rock seemed like a hundred years ago. He replied 'Oh, much more than that ...'.
I also had the extraordinary pleasure of meeting the recently deceased Lauren Bacall ... so beautiful, so cautious ... and so sad that her death was overshadowed by that of Robin Williams. It was Lauren, not Robin, who changed motion picture history. Yet modern media has an odd way of forgetting the more senior servers of the arts. Dora Bryan, whom I knew personally in the late 80s, and who also died in recent weeks, had pitifully slim attention from the British news media, yet her talents were a treasured staple of British life throughout the 1950s, 1960s and beyond. Dora had agreed to introduce the Smiths onstage at the London Palladium in 1986, but at the last minute her agent asked for a fee which we, the Smiths, just couldn't afford.
However, in our X-factory society, it seems that anyone who has NOT appeared on Big Brother just isn't worth remembering by the British media ... alas."

Morrissey.

Related media:

Last edited:
Well we got there in the end.

Morrissey is saying we should rank our dead stars by their talent and ability rather than the X Factor's preferred method of errrr... ranking them by their talent and ability.

In the end it all comes down to preference, as it ever did. Given the chance to go back in time twenty years and see Robin Williams at the Palladium or Frank Sidebottom in a run down boozer in Tarporley, I'll take the latter all day long.

you really think the x-factor is about talent and ability? i thought it was all about a load of teenage girls voting several times for their 'favourite'? if it was about talent and ability why do the winners always sink without a trace?

you really think the x-factor is about talent and ability? i thought it was all about a load of teenage girls voting several times for their 'favourite'? if it was about talent and ability why do the winners always sink without a trace?

I'll answer that one, because musical people with talent and ability tend to have the ability to create, the talent shows don't cater for those types.

It's all karaoke innit? Alan Carr's one's alright I guess.

Morrissey never said a bad word about Robin Williams. He never criticised him or his work. He just clearly feels that it was unfair that he should receive so much coverage, while Bacall got very little fanfare. He just feels it's unjust. I can see his point. You lot are just knee-jerking like a herd of sheep.

He never said anything good.

Richard Attenborough: I was thrilled beyond words...

Lauren Bacall: I also had the extraordinary pleasure...

Dora Bryan: her talents were a treasured staple of British life...

Robin Williams: His death overshadowed my Top Friendz List and his contributions to motion picture history are none.

:straightface:

This is not knee-jerking, Morrissey was rude. THere were a thousand ways he could've talked about the shitty state of media that didn't throw someone under the bus. Rex Jameson would call this a dick move too, Robin was foremost a comedian.

Robin Williams: His death overshadowed my Top Friendz List and his contributions to motion picture history are none.

This is not knee-jerking, Morrissey was rude. THere were a thousand ways he could've talked about the shitty state of media that didn't throw someone under the bus. Rex Jameson would call this a dick move too, Robin was foremost a comedian.

If you don't like someone's work only a hypocrite (there are many) would say something good.

I don't know what Mrs. Shufflewick would say....I'd like to hear it, though.

Coincidence...I watched "World's Greatest Dad" with Robin Williams a few weeks ago. That may be the unfunniest comedy movie ever made. It speaks to Robin Williams and Morrissey.

Morrissey might even like that one. See it if you haven't.

He most likely had a bug up his ass about something and took it out on poor Robin.

I think he writes these missives on TTY to give the tragic harpies on here something to do.
I bet he posts, sits back, waits and then cackles at the ensuing whiny tedium.

No need to say something good. However the decent thing to do would be to not mention him at all.

Sidnette's argument was that Morrissey never technically said anything bad about Robin Williams. When you tack his image onto your statement after a laundry list of gushing things about other actors, your argument is splitting hairs that Morrissey never said anything bad. I'm not saying Morrissey did anything wrong, his opinion is his to have. I just think it was rude.

But then....what would we talk about?

Maybe we should talk about how the Commodore 64 revolutionized gaming history and the X Box is dismissible as it's new?

Ok...but that's not what Morrissey was talking about...so it's disqualified.

It's "disqualified" :)squiffy:) because the syllogism is incomplete. The Commodore 64 is a computer, I should've put Atari or Intellivision which are gaming consoles like the X Box. But you get the jist. If he really thinks holding to the TRADITION that old actors and actresses are the ONLY viable actors and actresses, then what right does he have to call out the traditions of say...bullfighting? He clings as steadfastly to his notions that only the classics are to be lauded, yet asks for us not to vote? Unwavering support for an era whether it be in film making, politics, ideology points to a dichotomous mindset. "Only this is good because it existed between these years." Oh really? So please tell us more about how PISSED you get when everyone wants the Smiths to reform?

It's "disqualified" :)squiffy:) because the syllogism is incomplete. The Commodore 64 is a computer, I should've put Atari or Intellivision which are gaming consoles like the X Box. But you get the jist. If he really thinks holding to the TRADITION that old actors and actresses are the ONLY viable actors and actresses, then what right does he have to call out the traditions of say...bullfighting? He clings as steadfastly to his notions that only the classics are to be lauded, yet asks for us not to vote? Unwavering support for an era whether it be in film making, politics, ideology points to a dichotomous mindset. "Only this is good because it existed between these years." Oh really? So please tell us more about how PISSED you get when everyone wants the Smiths to reform?

Yes, I knew what you were getting at, but Morrissey was talking about actors and artists that were once living and breathing....and are now dead. I think death is the key to understanding Morrissey. No matter how much Morrissey writes about and sings about the artists of the past that are now dead....he still seems to be confused and surprised...shocked even that it all ends this way.

Bullfighting...death. Meat is Murder...death. The song, "Asleep"....death, suicide. "Oboe Concerto"...death.....and 90% of the songs of the last album...death.

Voting? I think he's saying that the deck is stacked against us whether we vote or not.

He never wanted to break up the Smiths....but.

All the good one's are gone, "All the best ones are dead".....Maybe that's true. What do I know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I knew what you were getting at, but Morrissey was talking about actors and artists that were once living and breathing....and are now dead. I think death is the key to understanding Morrissey. No matter how much Morrissey writes about and sings about the artists of the past that are now dead....he still seems to be confused and surprised...shocked even that it all ends this way.

Bullfighting...death. Meat is Murder...death. The song, "Asleep"....death, suicide. "Oboe Concerto"...death.....and 90% of the songs of the last album...death.

Voting? I think he's saying that the deck is stacked against us whether we vote or not.

He never wanted to break up the Smiths....but.

All the good one's are gone, "All the best ones are dead".....Maybe that's true. What do I know?

Sorry, but you have an odd fixation on death. If you're a writer, you write about life and if you write about life then you're going to end up writing about death.
Morrissey alludes far more in his writing to sex - and dudes/sex in particular - than he does to death, but it's all about the same thing: life.
There's no need to be so precious or pretentious about it. It is what it is.

But then....what would we talk about?

I think he's given us our fair share of opera these last few months, don't you? No need to pile on.

Sidnette's argument was that Morrissey never technically said anything bad about Robin Williams. When you tack his image onto your statement after a laundry list of gushing things about other actors, your argument is splitting hairs that Morrissey never said anything bad. I'm not saying Morrissey did anything wrong, his opinion is his to have. I just think it was rude.

And I completely agree with you. Not only rude, but entirely unnecessary. He could easily have mourned the passing of the artists he loved without dragging Robin Williams into it. Simply uncalled-for.

Robin Williams was a vegan and Lauren Bacall did magazine adverts for fur coats.

Not that it matters a great deal.

Someone has sand in their crotch

I'm with CG here.

He could have easily got his (in my opinion legitimate) point across regarding the modern media's treatment of "senior servers of the art" without bringing Robin Williams into it the way he did. It was ungracious, and completely unnecessary.

Moz, I know you're better than this. I understand your anger and frustration, but I also know your beef is not with Robin. So kvetch a bit more about Harpfest, if you must vent; or channel all this energy into writing a brilliant song mocking female stereotypes. ;)

Sorry, but you have an odd fixation on death. If you're a writer, you write about life and if you write about life then you're going to end up writing about death.
Morrissey alludes far more in his writing to sex - and dudes/sex in particular - than he does to death, but it's all about the same thing: life.
There's no need to be so precious or pretentious about it. It is what it is.

Odd fixation on death? Maybe...to you, maybe to most people. Keep your nose to the ground...one foot after the other until we reach the end. Don't question anything...move on there....keep movin', Goddamn it.

Morrissey had quite a bit to say about death in his book. Sex allows life to go on to ....death. Maybe sex is a "little death".

Since "Ringleader of the Tormentors", Morrissey has written more and more about death. It's part of life, of course, and Morrissey has his obsessions like all of us but he can work out the problems of life as he sees it through the creative process of his art. I dig it. He's one of the best for me. Most of us work out our obsessions through work or play or art appreciation or some other distraction.

Yeah, it is what it is. But what exactly is it.... and where is it going?

I think that Robin Williams death bothered him......He and Robin Williams have a lot more in common than he's willing to admit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom