Richard Attenborough dies - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

Richard Attenborough dies - true-to-you.net
26 August 2014

"I was thrilled beyond words to have met Richard Attenborough, who, of course, played Pinkie in Brighton Rock (1947), a central theme of my song Now my heart is full. When I met Sir Richard he was delightful, and I asked him if Brighton Rock seemed like a hundred years ago. He replied 'Oh, much more than that ...'.
I also had the extraordinary pleasure of meeting the recently deceased Lauren Bacall ... so beautiful, so cautious ... and so sad that her death was overshadowed by that of Robin Williams. It was Lauren, not Robin, who changed motion picture history. Yet modern media has an odd way of forgetting the more senior servers of the arts. Dora Bryan, whom I knew personally in the late 80s, and who also died in recent weeks, had pitifully slim attention from the British news media, yet her talents were a treasured staple of British life throughout the 1950s, 1960s and beyond. Dora had agreed to introduce the Smiths onstage at the London Palladium in 1986, but at the last minute her agent asked for a fee which we, the Smiths, just couldn't afford.
However, in our X-factory society, it seems that anyone who has NOT appeared on Big Brother just isn't worth remembering by the British media ... alas."

Morrissey.

Related media:

Last edited:
I hope you like the book. Maybe we can start a thread, once you get it, in Off-topic. I will reread it. I am certain others here have read it as well. Pretty famous book.

I'll let you know after I read it.....I think it's going apply to very much to what we've talked about on this thread....and Morrissey's work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain why you think it's ridiculous.
My take: as I said before, it is controversial, not ridiculous. Humans are taught to exhalt our own species over all others on the planet. Is that logical? Absolutely not; it is a learned bias--it is NOT basic in logic or rationale. So when Morrissey points out the hypocrisy behind the world's oohing, ahhing and gnashing of teeth over the deaths of a few humans while the majority simultaneously directly participates in much, much worse atrocities committed against non-human animals (in this case, chickens), Morrissey has to be ridiculed and called ridiculous, because if we don't ad hominem his ass, we'll have to actually THINK about what he said and acknowledge that while the Norway incident is horrible, so is what happens to non-human animals in factory farms and slaughterhouses.

Explain why you think it's ridiculous.
My take: as I said before, it is controversial, not ridiculous. Humans are taught to exhalt our own species over all others on the planet. Is that logical? Absolutely not; it is a learned bias--it is NOT basic in logic or rationale. So when Morrissey points out the hypocrisy behind the world's oohing, ahhing and gnashing of teeth over the deaths of a few humans while the majority simultaneously directly participates in much, much worse atrocities committed against non-human animals (in this case, chickens), Morrissey has to be ridiculed and called ridiculous, because if we don't ad hominem his ass, we'll have to actually THINK about what he said and acknowledge that while the Norway incident is horrible, so is what happens to non-human animals in factory farms and slaughterhouses.

I lived on a small farm when I was a kid. We ate everything we raised and grew. Chickens and eggs, rabbits, Beef occasionally and pigs. We grew collards, tomatoes okra , field peas etc etc...

I don't believe meat is murder. Today people by and large are not close to the land or the food supply. So killing animals in a slaughter house is horrible to them. I don't like it either but how are all of these people that need to eat in the so-called modern world going to be fed?

Slaughtering innocent children at camp or school should not be compared to killing animals for food. I know he thinks if we humans would stop killing and eating animals we would be better for it. That may be true but I suspect it would be more true that we would need to be better people first. People will eat anything if they are hungry enough...even each other.

I don't like factory farms or slaughterhouses either....but people don't live on small farms...much anymore. I believe that we should raise animals and kill them as humanely as possible and eat less meat.....but as far as eating no meat...it's not going to happen.

I absolutely love Morrissey for his art. I agree with much of what he says but sometimes to make a point.... he stretches too far and comes off as arrogant. It reminds me of that song that Nina Simone used to sing..."I'm just a soul who's intentions are good,...oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood".

You are right...we are taught that we humans are the greatest. I'm sure the Dinosaurs probably thought (if they could think like us) that they were the greatest....."the dinosaurs are gone, Nothing could be done"....John Cale...the song, "Wasteland" Anyway you see where the dinosaurs are now......

I lived on a small farm when I was a kid. We ate everything we raised and grew. Chickens and eggs, rabbits, Beef occasionally and pigs. We grew collards, tomatoes okra , field peas etc etc...

I don't believe meat is murder. Today people by and large are not close to the land or the food supply. So killing animals in a slaughter house is horrible to them. I don't like it either but how are all of these people that need to eat in the so-called modern world going to be fed?

Slaughtering innocent children at camp or school should not be compared to killing animals for food. I know he thinks if we humans would stop killing and eating animals we would be better for it. That may be true but I suspect it would be more true that we would need to be better people first. People will eat anything if they are hungry enough...even each other.

I don't like factory farms or slaughterhouses either....but people don't live on small farms...much anymore. I believe that we should raise animals and kill them as humanely as possible and eat less meat.....but as far as eating no meat...it's not going to happen.

I absolutely love Morrissey for his art. I agree with much of what he says but sometimes to make a point.... he stretches too far and comes off as arrogant. It reminds me of that song that Nina Simone used to sing..."I'm just a soul who's intentions are good,...oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood".

I agree.

BrummieBoy you get off trying to incite people. You go on and on as tough somebody is really going to read all that shit. I think you want everyone to think you are crazy. That's the beauty of the internet, even a 400 pound, pimple faced, transvestte like you can hide behind the keyboard.

In the real world you probably hide in your parents basement rarly going out in public. I assure you that if we were out in public and you decided to go on a rant you would probably get out two sentences before I knocked you out.

Seems like you are obsessed with trying to show everyone that you are smarter than Morrissey. Most of us understand that Morrissey is an entertainer and most of us don't share his views, however find it enjoyable how he conducts himself. I personally like the fact that he goes against the grain. However you take it to another level and act as whatever Morrissey says effects your life personally.

Take your meds and go away.

Too Cult; didn't read.

Vrede er en energi. Torch karriere Morrissey . Flyv min dejlige harpyer ! Flyv ! :straightface:

What i find disturbing is that people are trying to treat death as a competition
The sad fact is that they're all dead and gone
So why turn it into something where the dead people have to score a certain number of points
Just to gain kudos from beyond the grave?
If that's not sick then what is? Mostly the people who engage in that

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom