Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

Fiona Dodwell is an awful writer and journalist, having missed out a great deal of info about Your Arsenal. For a start, she got some things wrong about Bowie's reasoning for covering "I Know It's Gonna Happen Some Day". Bowie realised that the song was essentially a rip off of "Rock n Roll Suicide". He ended up covering Morrissey's song as a dig at Morrissey (likely a friendly one). As he said himself “It occurred to me that he was spoofing one of my earlier songs, and I thought, I’m not going to let him get away with that,”, also saying he recorded a "totally camp" version of the song which is "me singing Morrissey singing me".

Moving on to Certain People I Know, while the song is influenced by Morrissey's and Boz's love of T Rex, it was Mick Ronson who thought of and played the guitar riff which bore a striking resemblance to T Rex's Ride A White Swan.

But, hey, don't let the facts get in the way of writing a puff piece for Morrissey.

Last edited:
As I've said before, I can't for the life of me think why Ms. Dodwell hasn't landed a job on one of the nationals, with high-quality content and thorough research like this.

Your Arsenal was let down by stupid tracks like, you’re the one for me fatty, we hate it when our friends become successful and certain people I know. Take those three out. Replace with Jack The Ripper & The Loop, and you’d have Morrissey’s best album ever.

Your Arsenal was let down by stupid tracks like, you’re the one for me fatty, we hate it when our friends become successful and certain people I know. Take those three out. Replace with Jack The Ripper & The Loop, and you’d have Morrissey’s best album ever.

See, I love Fatty, with its lovely jangly Smithesque guitars and funny lyrics, and Certain People I Know with its clear rockabilly influences. I think that The Loop would have made more sense thematically, considering the overall sound of the album, than say Seasick, Yet Still Docked, which I just think is a pretty boring song.

Last edited:
See, I love Fatty, with it's lovely jangly Smithesque guitars and funny lyrics, and Certain People I Know with its clear rockabilly influences. I think that The Loop would have made more sense thematically, considering the overall sound of the album, than say Seasick, Yet Still Docked, which I just think is a pretty boring song.

I agree with everything you've written.

What a great article. So refreshing to see an appraisal of Morrissey's career minus the bullshit.

What a great article. So refreshing to see an appraisal of Morrissey's career minus the bullshit.

Minus any original insights or anything except bland sycophancy, you mean? It's possible to write a great article praising Your Arsenal. But Ms. Dodwell definitely didn't.

Fatty is a great song. Funny uptempo and a pleasure to sing along to which just makes it even funnier given the lyrics

See, I love Fatty, with its lovely jangly Smithesque guitars and funny lyrics, and Certain People I Know with its clear rockabilly influences. I think that The Loop would have made more sense thematically, considering the overall sound of the album, than say Seasick, Yet Still Docked, which I just think is a pretty boring song.

Seasick is as sharp as needle in your eye, you must be such a fool to pass it by

As I've said before, I can't for the life of me think why Ms. Dodwell hasn't landed a job on one of the nationals, with high-quality content and thorough research like this.

Whereas all the wankers who keep recycling the same "Moz is a racist" and "Moz Supports For Britain in new interview" journos who write for NME and Daily Mail are obviously all of the highest calibre and deserve lifetime achievement award in quality writing.

very good article.:rock:

no islamic or comunist nonsense. no news about a twat with a tat on his knee, guardian type tripe.:lbf:

Yeah exactly right. He was hardly perched at the edge of a cliff before Your Arsenal. The Kill Uncle tour was massive.

You wasn’t there Adam. When you decided to join in, you decided to scowl at everyone and proclaim to be the big superfan.

Whereas all the wankers who keep recycling the same "Moz is a racist" and "Moz Supports For Britain in new interview" journos who write for NME and Daily Mail are obviously all of the highest calibre and deserve lifetime achievement award in quality writing.

AD HOM.

Least you admit it's just cos you don't like dodwell and nothing to do with what she does or doesn't write but, seriously??? I've been a Moz fan for so many years I can't count, and as a fan lately I get so bloody sick and tired of negative press after negative press and so for me personally? I'm glad when someone can be actually assed to defend Moz. Not like many others queue up to do it nowadays right????

Fans who hate on Sam, Dodwell and the like, I don't get it. Other than I guess most on this site r haters not fans I suppose.

Least you admit it's just cos you don't like dodwell and nothing to do with what she does or doesn't write but, seriously??? I've been a Moz fan for so many years I can't count, and as a fan lately I get so bloody sick and tired of negative press after negative press and so for me personally? I'm glad when someone can be actually assed to defend Moz. Not like many others queue up to do it nowadays right????

Fans who hate on Sam, Dodwell and the like, I don't get it. Other than I guess most on this site r haters not fans I suppose.

We don't dislike Fiona and Sam for no reason, but because they ultimately fail very badly at their jobs. Sam is a terrible graphics designer and publicist for Morrissey. Look at some of the work he has output. Remember the horrible record sleeves or bad Photoshops he knocked up or THAT terrible Kiss Me A Lot video? As for Fiona, she is just a mouthpiece for Morrissey, who simply writes puff pieces for Morrissey. Even then, those puff pieces are just horribly written and horribly researched (see my previous comment on well known information she gets wrong about the writing and production of Your Arsenal).

Ultimately, it's sad that Morrissey is surrounding himself with these yes men/women who make him look even worse than he does himself.

Last edited:

Seasick, Yet Still Docked............it's a go-to track for the broken hearted. :guitar:

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom