Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

She doesn’t skip Kill Uncle.

Kill Uncle is mentioned in the article.

And "Your Arsenal, as a musical project, seemed to be shouting from the rooftops: "I am here. I am staying. I have something to say.""

This part is bang on. Your Arsenal was the album that confirmed that Morrissey was going to have a solo career when many had written him off.

It appears the article was edited after the fact. My initial quote above was copied directly from it when I made my post.

you need :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: playing the stupid :guitar: like you need blue textile fungus in your toe.:lbf:

We do not really need an “impartial Journalist” to tell us this. Especially when they gloss over “National Front Disco” lyrics that look very concerning in light of last 3 years of statements. I know it’s a lightweight amusing song but it does fortell the future somewhat. To my memory he was never challenged on it at the time and journalists assumed he was writing as an observer or “in character.” That assumption would not be made now.

Sorry, but your memory is 100% wrong. :lbf:

Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"
But Skinny,
Morrissey could've been (for the most part) out of this controversy if last April, after seeing the response to his support for For Britain, he'd dropped the subject entirely. If he just wants people to forget about it, why does he look for any excuse to bring it back up? If he only cares about the money, why hasn't he- seeing that this isn't a profitable opinion to have- drop For Britain and start pandering more to his audiences?
If he didn't keep talking politics, there'd be nothing to divert attention from. As you say, he's not stupid. He knows that when he wears the badge of that controversial party on Jimmy Fallon, he's going to face this kind of backlash. Why would he do it, then, if he wanted to avoid the backlash?

We do not really need an “impartial Journalist” to tell us this. Especially when they gloss over “National Front Disco” lyrics that look very concerning in light of last 3 years of statements. I know it’s a lightweight amusing song but it does fortell the future somewhat. To my memory he was never challenged on it at the time and journalists assumed he was writing as an observer or “in character.” That assumption would not be made now.

I seem to remember a bit of controversy about NFD in a few music mags. This was also around the time of the Union Jack on stage incident so some people were making those comparisons.

I seem to remember a bit of controversy about NFD in a few music mags. This was also around the time of the Union Jack on stage incident so some people were making those comparisons.

Which came first? The ‘controversy’ :rolleyes:about NFD or the ‘Union Jack on stage incident’ ?

:cool:

What upset me was that he didn't have the personnel providing the tunes. I think Morrisseys voice needs an electric guitar providing that. His voice was made for that lovely guitar sound. It melded. He needs a player like Johnny to bring out the best in him. He might think he can sing to anything but he needs that guitar sound again. It's what suits him. Simple guitar playing. No overdrive. Lovely luscious chords. It brings out the best in his voice.

Your Arsenal was full of toons.............what are you on about?

Dodwell has penned it. Ok. I’ll not bother reading it then.

Who wants to read a sycophant re-evaluate an album I know better than they do?

Not me.

First solo album was epic - songs partly written whilst Smiths still existed perhaps and have gorgeous Vini Reilly music and guitars all over them.

Kill Uncle and Nevin co-written singles were much weaker and poorly produced, could not go up against The Stone Roses, James or Happy Monday’s sound of ‘89-91, sadly.

Your Arsenal was do or die, if it had been weak he was over, he has said so himself. He pulled it out of the bag, a stone dead classic.

The Kill Uncle tour was probably his most successful to date, so no, he was not dead despite mostly lukewarm critics of Kill Uncle, which was praised by Les Inrockuptibles in France for instance.

Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris an Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

I see this as the same effort to get a different result when you search for Fiona Dodwell and Morrissey. They're not stupid. Just paid to do a job.
I dunno. I thought Moz was a skinflint who wouldn't pay for his own funeral. I'm hoping to get a few troll votes for this.

Nothing would have pleased me after the Smiths break up. I was too traumatised. Slowly going back and reassessing.
There might be one consolation: The Smiths would have turned into a shit band if they'd kept going. Moz's voice and look only got better but Marr's output has been very patchy. I'd say they had one more great album in them. Anyway we can't complain: Moz gave us Viva Hate, Arsenal, Vauxhall, Quarry, and Ringleader and a suitcase load of great singles.

Most weren't. The band was sloppy as hell, not to mention Boz duckwalking all over like a twat.
Yah. Moz's voice was ok but not great on that video and the band were crap until Arsenal. Moz looked amazing on the Kill Uncle tour. I was at in it Dublin and will never forget it. Hearing 'My Love Life' for the first time was magical. I don't think it had been released yet.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom