Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jul 26, 2019 at 1:47 PM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New Article about Moz and his career in the early 90s. Nice to read something actually positive.

Memories of Morrissey: Revisiting 'Your Arsenal' as it Turns 27 - Eject Music
    As Morrissey's album, Your Arsenal, turns 27 this week, Fiona Dodwell takes a look at the album and the 1992 era of the music legend's career.
    by Fiona Dodwell

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2019.

1. celibate
      celibate
      Your Arsenal was meant to be big in the USA

His kill Uncle Tour had to be stopped in the USA, for safety reasons, read it in Morrissey Shot, the photobook Linder Sterling made, with written intro

put on Bethoven is Dead, [not recorded in the US, but at the end of the tour, London and Paris] and you feel how the Arsenal shows were

it is Mick Ronson's last work [producing,composing], he died soon after [Your Arsenal]

please wait, don't loose faith....have a good weekend all
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    2. StalinsPipe
      StalinsPipe
      The music of the Smiths was influenced by rockabilly and rock 'n' roll in general.
      - Rusholme Ruffians (sounds like Elvis's Marie's the Name of His Latest Flame, which the Smiths actually covered, as heard on Rank)
      - Nowhere Fast
      - Girl Afraid
      - Shakespeare's Sister
      - Vicar In a Tutu
      - Death At One's Elbow
      - Is It Really So Strange?

Then looking at Morrissey's solo career, he actually completely embraced the rockabilly style and substance of Alain and the lads. He released:
      - Pregnant for the Last Time
      - The Loop
      -
      The version of Sing Your Life on At KROQ is even more obviously rockabilly than the original version.
      - Your Arsenal is heavily influenced by rockabilly, glam and blues. You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side & Certain People I Know are prime examples (Gary even plays double bass on Certain People I Know).
      - Sister I'm A Poet was turned into a rockabilly song during the as Your Arsenal tour, as heard on Beethoven Was Deaf
      - Morrissey was even playing The Loop in 2009 on the Years of Refusal tour, with Matt Walker playing double bass.
      • Like Like x 2
    3. marred
      marred
      Yeah exactly right. He was hardly perched at the edge of a cliff before Your Arsenal. The Kill Uncle tour was massive.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Eldritch
      Eldritch
      Your Arsenal is a very good album. But Fiona Dodwell is not a very good writer -- this "article" just blandly states the obvious and offers no fresh insights.

The album also suffered from bad single choices. The preceding singles We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful and You're The One For Me, Fatty were rightly slated in the music press and are nobody's favourite Morrissey songs. They might be the two weakest songs on the album. It was only after the album release that people realized that Your Arsenal was not going to be a string of novelty singles with woeful titles.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Troll Troll x 1
    5. StalinsPipe
      StalinsPipe
      Fiona Dodwell is an awful writer and journalist, having missed out a great deal of info about Your Arsenal. For a start, she got some things wrong about Bowie's reasoning for covering "I Know It's Gonna Happen Some Day". Bowie realised that the song was essentially a rip off of "Rock n Roll Suicide". He ended up covering Morrissey's song as a dig at Morrissey (likely a friendly one). As he said himself “It occurred to me that he was spoofing one of my earlier songs, and I thought, I’m not going to let him get away with that,”, also saying he recorded a "totally camp" version of the song which is "me singing Morrissey singing me".

Moving on to Certain People I Know, while the song is influenced by Morrissey's and Boz's love of T Rex, it was Mick Ronson who thought of and played the guitar riff which bore a striking resemblance to T Rex's Ride A White Swan.

But, hey, don't let the facts get in the way of writing a puff piece for Morrissey.
      • Like Like x 3
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    6. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      As I've said before, I can't for the life of me think why Ms. Dodwell hasn't landed a job on one of the nationals, with high-quality content and thorough research like this.
      • Troll Troll x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. StalinsPipe
      StalinsPipe
      She'd be perfect for the Sun or Mail, but I'd hardly call that journalism.
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Hovis Lesley
      Hovis Lesley
      The magician who made The Beatles possible? That ‘twat’?
    9. ordinaryboy86
      ordinaryboy86
      Your Arsenal was let down by stupid tracks like, you’re the one for me fatty, we hate it when our friends become successful and certain people I know. Take those three out. Replace with Jack The Ripper & The Loop, and you’d have Morrissey’s best album ever.
      • Like Like x 3
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    10. StalinsPipe
      StalinsPipe
      See, I love Fatty, with its lovely jangly Smithesque guitars and funny lyrics, and Certain People I Know with its clear rockabilly influences. I think that The Loop would have made more sense thematically, considering the overall sound of the album, than say Seasick, Yet Still Docked, which I just think is a pretty boring song.
    11. Harsh Truth
      Harsh Truth
      I agree with everything you've written.
    12. marred
      marred
      What a great article. So refreshing to see an appraisal of Morrissey's career minus the bullshit.
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Eldritch
      Eldritch
      Minus any original insights or anything except bland sycophancy, you mean? It's possible to write a great article praising Your Arsenal. But Ms. Dodwell definitely didn't.
      • Like Like x 5
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Fatty is a great song. Funny uptempo and a pleasure to sing along to which just makes it even funnier given the lyrics
      • Like Like x 2
    15. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Seasick is as sharp as needle in your eye, you must be such a fool to pass it by
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Whereas all the wankers who keep recycling the same "Moz is a racist" and "Moz Supports For Britain in new interview" journos who write for NME and Daily Mail are obviously all of the highest calibre and deserve lifetime achievement award in quality writing.
    17. vegan cro spirit 555
      vegan cro spirit 555
      very good article.:rock:

no islamic or comunist nonsense. no news about a twat with a tat on his knee, guardian type tripe.:lbf:
    18. Anonymous
      Anonymous

You wasn’t there Adam. When you decided to join in, you decided to scowl at everyone and proclaim to be the big superfan.
    19. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      Yes indeed. The Beatles. Nice Boy-band, twee silly music. Twats.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    20. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      I bet it smells like old cum-socks and stale corn chips in the room you type from.
      • Insightful Insightful x 1