Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2019.

By Anonymous on Jul 26, 2019 at 1:47 PM
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New Article about Moz and his career in the early 90s. Nice to read something actually positive.

Memories of Morrissey: Revisiting 'Your Arsenal' as it Turns 27 - Eject Music
    As Morrissey's album, Your Arsenal, turns 27 this week, Fiona Dodwell takes a look at the album and the 1992 era of the music legend's career.
    by Fiona Dodwell

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun

He needs a player like Johnny to bring out the best in him.‘
      o_O

Then why was Morrissey only able to have hits after Marr?

:cool:
    2. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      First solo album was epic - songs partly written whilst Smiths still existed perhaps and have gorgeous Vini Reilly music and guitars all over them.

Kill Uncle and Nevin co-written singles were much weaker and poorly produced, could not go up against The Stone Roses, James or Happy Monday’s sound of ‘89-91, sadly.

Your Arsenal was do or die, if it had been weak he was over, he has said so himself. He pulled it out of the bag, a stone dead classic.

We do not really need an “impartial Journalist” to tell us this. Especially when they gloss over “National Front Disco” lyrics that look very concerning in light of last 3 years of statements. I know it’s a lightweight amusing song but it does fortell the future somewhat. To my memory he was never challenged on it at the time and journalists assumed he was writing as an observer or “in character.” That assumption would not be made now.

You cannot trust Dodwell, she’s a Morrissey staffer!
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      Why is it that people always reference The Smiths as his best work?
    4. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      Yes, exactly. Goes to show what people know, very little.
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      They know what they like, and you don't hear anybody singing the praises of I'm Ok by Myself, or Whirled Peas.
    6. mcrickson
      mcrickson
      It appears the article was edited after the fact. My initial quote above was copied directly from it when I made my post.
    7. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      They don’t need to.

What’s ‘whirled peas’?
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      None of your business
    9. vegan cro spirit 555
      vegan cro spirit 555
      you need :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: playing the stupid :guitar: like you need blue textile fungus in your toe.:lbf:
      • Troll Troll x 1
    10. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      :straightface:
    11. Flibberty
      Flibberty
      Sorry, but your memory is 100% wrong. :lbf:
      • Like Like x 2
    12. drag me down
      drag me down
      I try to like his solo outings and I still love him because he's Morrissey. His voice needs that guitar though. He was made for it. The way he played with that guitar. His voice was made for it. He needs a damn good player who's intent on writing music for the sake of it. He always came to the studio alone. He needs someone who's not writing for Morrissey but writing for themselves,
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      But Skinny,
      Morrissey could've been (for the most part) out of this controversy if last April, after seeing the response to his support for For Britain, he'd dropped the subject entirely. If he just wants people to forget about it, why does he look for any excuse to bring it back up? If he only cares about the money, why hasn't he- seeing that this isn't a profitable opinion to have- drop For Britain and start pandering more to his audiences?
      If he didn't keep talking politics, there'd be nothing to divert attention from. As you say, he's not stupid. He knows that when he wears the badge of that controversial party on Jimmy Fallon, he's going to face this kind of backlash. Why would he do it, then, if he wanted to avoid the backlash?
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      But but but.....Racism! Badges! The Chinese!
    15. SuedeMoz
      SuedeMoz
      I seem to remember a bit of controversy about NFD in a few music mags. This was also around the time of the Union Jack on stage incident so some people were making those comparisons.
    16. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      Which came first? The ‘controversy’ :rolleyes:about NFD or the ‘Union Jack on stage incident’ ?

:cool:
    17. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      Your Arsenal was full of toons.............what are you on about?
    18. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      It was brilliant though. Wembley Arena and Kilburn National in 91 were amazing gigs.
      • Like Like x 6
    19. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Dodwell has penned it. Ok. I’ll not bother reading it then.

Who wants to read a sycophant re-evaluate an album I know better than they do?

Not me.
      • Like Like x 2
    20. Nikita
      Nikita
      The Kill Uncle tour was probably his most successful to date, so no, he was not dead despite mostly lukewarm critics of Kill Uncle, which was praised by Les Inrockuptibles in France for instance.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1