Revelation tracks discussion

Bona Drag:
Get Off The Stage (alternate)
Happy Lovers United
The Bed Took Fire
Oh Phoney
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference (electric demo)

Kill Uncle:
My Love Life (full length version)
Striptease With A Difference
Pregnant For The Last Time
Trash (live Irvine)
That's Entertainment (live Irvine)

Thank you for all this information, Stephane!

I have two more questions, if you don't mind:

Is the version of Oh Phoney on your CD the full length version or the edited version?

Do you have any idea why Striptease With A Difference is on the Kill Uncle disc? I thought it was from the Viva Hate/Bona Drag era?

am i the only one who cringes at the lyrics to lifeguard?

I think they're both a bit campy and silly and fun. None of them would be classics had they not been kept under wraps all this time, but they're nice and good to have.

I reckon that Revelation is the best, most interesting thing that Morrissey has(n't) released this year. A much more likeable and varied album than Years Of Refusal.

Is the version of Oh Phoney on your CD the full length version or the edited version?

Neither. It's a differently arranged version, with a completely different intro.

Do you have any idea why Striptease With A Difference is on the Kill Uncle disc? I thought it was from the Viva Hate/Bona Drag era?

It's from the Bona Drag sessions, like its sister "Piccadilly Palare". It was put on Kill Uncle because they didn't have enough interesting bonus material for that album. That's why you also have Pregnant and My Love Life on there, with two live songs.

Most of whatever's left for Kill Uncle is instrumental or at best very unfinished vocal demos, nothing that Morrissey would have accepted to release. Also these projects were put together with only what was in the hands of EMI who don't have everything. A lot of the stuff from that era that has been discussed here stems from studio tapes in the hands of Morrissey's musicians, not EMI or Warner Strategic Marketing.

Stephane

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this very interesting thread. It has fed me with information previously unknown.

I'd be so happy for All his albums to be re-issued with extra's like these.

Stephane/Jamie

Cheersx10 for the info... a few questions if I may;

What and where etc are the Cherokee sessions? Never heard of this before? As you list these prior to You Are The Quarry did this occur after Janice Long '02
(still one of the best sessions he's ever done IMHO) and when exactly?

Kit and I Know Who I Love with Moz vocals? Are they widely available or is someone sitting on it?

Used To Be A Sweet Boy with orchestra? WTF?? I would seriously pay to hear this but I understand. I have Why Don't You Find with full electric thus I assume these were recorded at a similar time?

EMI released im 98/99 Viva Hate with "extra" tracks which, in that day and age, were probably regarded as relatively rare (not the abundance of file-sharing that happens now, although all had been previously released) was this planned project a sequel to that?

Maladjusted and B-sides, Studio Tracks with Vocals
- I Know Who I Love
- Kit

These two songs must be fantastic. Have you heard them, Stephane?

Greetings
- Joe

Stephane sounds like he's got a ton of stuff that's not released. Lucky him - I love your site.

Any chance you could enlighten us with a list of songs that you have that are not publicly available?

:)

I have been listening to it all day today as I burned it on a CD and went out riding. I love Striptease with a Difference and Oh Phoney. I had heard OP before and loved it and now love it even more. This is a great addition to my Moz music. I would have liked to have paid Morrissey for his work, too. Thanks to Motorways again for the rip.

Stephane/Jamie

Cheersx10 for the info... a few questions if I may;

What and where etc are the Cherokee sessions? Never heard of this before? As you list these prior to You Are The Quarry did this occur after Janice Long '02
(still one of the best sessions he's ever done IMHO) and when exactly?

Kit and I Know Who I Love with Moz vocals? Are they widely available or is someone sitting on it?

Used To Be A Sweet Boy with orchestra? WTF?? I would seriously pay to hear this but I understand. I have Why Don't You Find with full electric thus I assume these were recorded at a similar time?

EMI released im 98/99 Viva Hate with "extra" tracks which, in that day and age, were probably regarded as relatively rare (not the abundance of file-sharing that happens now, although all had been previously released) was this planned project a sequel to that?

Bb,

The Cherokee sessions are from late 2001 or early 2002. As noted elsewhere, these were essentially Dean Butterworth's "audition" for Morrissey. (It's purely conjectural and he would never admit this, but I think they were also intended as demos for record companies as they predated his Sanctuary contract.)

I know Stephane has heard Kit. The only person I can remember making mention of I Know Who I Love is Simon Goddard. I believe it was first mentioned to the wider public as a sidebar of a Morrissey article he wrote circa Ringleader (in either The Word or MOJO). They have never come to light otherwise.

Cheers,
Jamie

I love Striptease with a Difference and Oh Phoney. I had heard OP before and loved it and now love it even more.

Funny thing is, I already had those two, and while I loved Striptease..., I didn't like Oh Phoney at all. But now, in the new Revelation surroundings, I actually quite like it. The best bit on the record for me is when Moz sings the word "united" with a growl. I haven't been this excited about a "new" Moz record in ages. Here's hoping Safe Warm Lancashire Home, I Don't Want Us To Finish and Treat Me Like A Human Being are next to be unearthed.

Both of these new old songs are great. All you naysayers...I just don't get it.

It's like playing the Bona Drag cassette over and over again on my Walkman while I was delivering all those newspapers at 15 years old, having just discovered Moz. 1992ish...f***, that music saved my life.

C'mon. Seriously. These are some great goddamned songs.

How limited do you guys think this run is? I was thinking maybe 2000.
Make a quick buck and get out.

Tags
loves it revelation viva motorways viva stephane
Back
Top Bottom