Restaurant: No Screaming Kids Allowed

The Seeker of Good Songs

A North Carolina restaurant says screaming children are no longer welcome and that has some parents outraged.
adlabel_horz.gif

There's a new item on the menu at Olde Salty Restaurant on Carolina Beach. And it may be hard for some parents to digest. No screaming children. Brenda Armes, Olde Salty's owner says, "If they find it offending, I suggest that they find another restaurant to eat at that does tolerate it, because we're not going to."
Armes is tired of hearing her customers complain about screaming kids while they're trying to dine. So she put up these signs inside and out. She says, "It has brought us in more customers than it's ever kept away."
Gary Gibson is a first time customer. He says, "Having grandchildren, going into restaurants with them is not very enjoyable when you hear a bunch of kids screaming. So, it is nice to see a sign like that up."
But these parents from West Virginia don't think the signs are so nice. Ashley Heflin says, "I've never seen a restaurant say don't bring your screaming kids in here. You can't help if your kids scream."
Armes certainly thinks you can. That's why she confronted the Heflins during our interview with them. Armes says, "You don't think it's fair that I ask you if you're sitting at my table?" Heflin says, "Personally, if I saw that, I wouldn't even come in the restaurant." Armes responds, "I understand, I understand."
It was then that the Heflins' baby started to cry. In question was whether that would be tolerated in the restaurant. Heflin says, "I mean, he cries like that... other kids cry."
Armes says, "That's a crying baby. Here's a screaming child. Wah! Wah! Wah!"
Regardless, all Armes asks is that if your child is screaming, you take them outside. Armes says, "We aren't saying your child can't have fun. We're not saying your child can't be in here."
Still, the policy from armes has parents up in arms over their next meal. The owner says if a patron's child acts up, a restaurant worker will ask the parents to take the child outside. Armes says she won't ask parents, or their children, to leave the restaurant for good.

(Source: CNN)

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=116689&catid=70

A North Carolina restaurant says screaming children are no longer welcome and that has some parents outraged.
adlabel_horz.gif

There's a new item on the menu at Olde Salty Restaurant on Carolina Beach. And it may be hard for some parents to digest. No screaming children. Brenda Armes, Olde Salty's owner says, "If they find it offending, I suggest that they find another restaurant to eat at that does tolerate it, because we're not going to."
Armes is tired of hearing her customers complain about screaming kids while they're trying to dine. So she put up these signs inside and out. She says, "It has brought us in more customers than it's ever kept away."
Gary Gibson is a first time customer. He says, "Having grandchildren, going into restaurants with them is not very enjoyable when you hear a bunch of kids screaming. So, it is nice to see a sign like that up."
But these parents from West Virginia don't think the signs are so nice. Ashley Heflin says, "I've never seen a restaurant say don't bring your screaming kids in here. You can't help if your kids scream."
Armes certainly thinks you can. That's why she confronted the Heflins during our interview with them. Armes says, "You don't think it's fair that I ask you if you're sitting at my table?" Heflin says, "Personally, if I saw that, I wouldn't even come in the restaurant." Armes responds, "I understand, I understand."
It was then that the Heflins' baby started to cry. In question was whether that would be tolerated in the restaurant. Heflin says, "I mean, he cries like that... other kids cry."
Armes says, "That's a crying baby. Here's a screaming child. Wah! Wah! Wah!"
Regardless, all Armes asks is that if your child is screaming, you take them outside. Armes says, "We aren't saying your child can't have fun. We're not saying your child can't be in here."
Still, the policy from armes has parents up in arms over their next meal. The owner says if a patron's child acts up, a restaurant worker will ask the parents to take the child outside. Armes says she won't ask parents, or their children, to leave the restaurant for good.

(Source: CNN)

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=116689&catid=70

:thumb: It's a great idea. Not everybody want to listen to children who are going mad all the time. I really love children, and yes, all children cry and scream (I had to carry a screaming 3,5-year old home from school today, she refused to stop screaming!) and I do think that people sometimes have the right to say no to listening to that, in restaurants for example. I don't think that you as a parent can expect everyone to put up with your child screaming.

Back
Top Bottom