Request to User Houdini: Please Update All Time Poll!

King Leer

Leering since '97
Now that Years of Refusal has been out for 4 months and we've seen all the b-sides we're going to (unless there are a couple of uncovered gems on Swords) it'd be great to update the all-time poll that Houdini so expertly ran to accommodate all the songs published after the That's How People Grow Up single (that's how far it went, yes?)

Por favor!

Please no, not the poll again - it went on for months like a never-ending tyranny.:straightface:

Now that Years of Refusal has been out for 4 months and we've seen all the b-sides we're going to (unless there are a couple of uncovered gems on Swords) it'd be great to update the all-time poll that Houdini so expertly ran to accommodate all the songs published after the That's How People Grow Up single (that's how far it went, yes?)

Por favor!

yep, I'd be keen to see this too as it looks like no more new material's coming out for the time being.
it actually went as far as All You Need is Me (as it was on the greatest hits). the poll would only last about 5 or 6 weeks if we took as long per song as before. would be good to rank the YOR material. I'm convinced there will be more than one song in the top 100 (unlike ROTT). also, there are the AYNIM b-sides and the new Southpaw songs to assess.

We got as far as Greatest Hits last time, so we're missing:

Because of my Poor Education
Black Cloud
Children in Pieces
Drive-in Saturday
Fantastic Bird
Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
I'm OK By Myself
I'm Throwing my Arms Around Paris
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed
My Dearest Love
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Shame is the Name
Something is Squeezing my Skull
Sorry Doesn't Help
When Last I Spoke to Carol
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
You Were Good In Your Time

That's 18. Don't think I missed any. Won't take us too long. :)

IMHO, it's too early to update the polls.

Although it was leaked in January, was released just 4 months ago.

You can start polls, simply copy and paste what Houdini did.

We got as far as Greatest Hits last time, so we're missing:

Because of my Poor Education
Black Cloud
Children in Pieces
Drive-in Saturday
Fantastic Bird
Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
I'm OK By Myself
I'm Throwing my Arms Around Paris
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed
My Dearest Love
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Shame is the Name
Something is Squeezing my Skull
Sorry Doesn't Help
When Last I Spoke to Carol
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
You Were Good In Your Time

That's 18. Don't think I missed any. Won't take us too long. :)

thanks for the list. of the 2006 songs, only one (Life is a Pigsty) made the top 100 whereas in 2004, about seven did.
of the 'new' ones above, I reckon about four or five will make the top 100 (including one of the additional Southpaw songs i.e. You Should Have Been Nice To Me).
bring it on!

thanks for the list. of the 2006 songs, only one (Life is a Pigsty) made the top 100 whereas in 2004, about seven did.
of the 'new' ones above, I reckon about four or five will make the top 100 (including one of the additional Southpaw songs i.e. You Should Have Been Nice To Me).
bring it on!

I can see Carol, Birthday and My Dearest Love getting into the top 100, certainly. Mama and Shame is the Name may have a chance, too.

I can see Carol, Birthday and My Dearest Love getting into the top 100, certainly. Mama and Shame is the Name may have a chance, too.

'Shame is the Name' better bloody well be in there! It's a genius song. You're probably right with the other predictions too.
'Something is Squeezing' could also make it. I'm not really a big fan of the song but I know plenty of other people are...

Last edited:
I'm ready! :thumb: Houdini's polls are what lured me to the forums...and just look at me now. :o

Well give him (or her?) a chance to chime in first -- especially after Houdini started it and did such a good job of it.

I think living with songs for 4 months is long enough to assess them objectively, but we could wait until the tour is over so more people get a live taste of some of them.

Didn't think about the Southpaw tracks -- good point!

IMHO, it's too early to update the polls.

Although it was leaked in January, was released just 4 months ago.

You can start polls, simply copy and paste what Houdini did.

Thanks all. I already said I wanted to resume the polls in May. However, with the Southpaw re-release I thought I'd waited just a little longer.

Now seems as good a time as any to start with the 2008/2009 released songs.

These are all the songs that will be up. We will be doing them chronologically (in terms of release) this time, so that the order will be like this:

Round 235: Children In Pieces
Round 236: Drive-In Saturday
Round 237: My Dearest Love
Round 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Round 239: Because Of My Poor Education
Round 240: Shame Is The Name
Round 241: Black Cloud
Round 242: I'm OK By Myself
Round 243: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Round 244: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Round 245: One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Round 246: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Round 247: Sorry Doesn't Help
Round 248: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Round 249: You Were Good In Your Time
Round 250: Fantastic Bird
Round 251: Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
Round 252: You Should Have Been Nice To Me

It will be interesting to see how these songs will stand up in the Morrissey and Smiths-canon.

To remind new members of how the polls were set up,
here are the results so far, conducted in 2007 and early 2008:

The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, FINAL RESULTS

Thanks all. I already said I wanted to resume the polls in May. However, with the Southpaw re-release I thought I'd waited just a little longer.

Now seems as good a time as any to start with the 2008/2009 released songs.

Brilliant! Looking forward to this. Thanks, Houdini!

Thanks for the effort, Houdini. I think I missed your polls.

Cool. Looking forward to it.
'Children in Pieces' is an 8/10 song if ever there was one!

I haven't listened to it since I got the single (about a year ago! :eek:), and it was a no-no for me.

Back
Top Bottom