Request: Rare Smiths Mixes

Hi all, I'm trying to fill some gaps in my collection, and there are just three versions of Smiths songs I'm missing (according to passionsjustlikemine). I've been through the NHS, Extra Track and Smithstorrents and can't find them on there. Would be really grateful if anyone does have them.

* The Queen Is Dead
edit without intro {6:06}• UK cd-single #1 and Europe cd-single re-release of "How Soon Is Now?"
(looks like this was re-released on the TQID 12" single in 2017)

* Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
single version {3:32}• Europe edition (slightly different mix with different tambourine treatment and louder vox)
(is this really a different mix? I can't find a reference to it anywhere else)

* Meat Is Murder live Oxford 18 March 1985 {5:34}
• "Animal Liberation" compilation LP (with 20 extra seconds of crowd noise)
(it's possible I have this, because the version in the "Singles" box-set from 2008 is 5:48 - still not quite the stated extra 20 seconds, though)

Thank you!

Right, MIM Animal Lib "version" is just an unfaded cut of the FM broadcast via the TD - this was the source and then faded by the record company (and not faded as soon by the Animal Lib producers).
The part you refer to is the heavy clapping at the end that Stephane suggests as about 20 seconds long. Unfortunately, taking anything to do with vinyl & running times too seriously will always lead to rabbit holes & frustration. People have previously relied on recorded running times via fast-running turntables and it just confuses the hell out of everyone - made worse when things are taken as definitives.
If you have the Oxford TD or the (possibly better) satellite or even FM broadcast - you have the source of this recording. The track you require hasn't been shared in FLAC on this site, but here's the MP3 version to see the ending - 100% the version you refer to and luckily has a running time reference:

R-482356-1295890423.jpg

I've not been fussed about it as the TD & various boot-forms of it sit in my storage, but whilst you look, the MP3 should help (it's not this version that's included on Singles).
Regards,
FWD.

Been looking for that single mix of Stop Me for years and having a luddite mare with those Torrents. Is this available anywhere else by any chance?

New to this wonderful forum - Hello 👋

What specific release(s) contain this alternate mix of Stop Me?
European releases of the single.
However...
It is debated and people report hearing little difference that their particular audio equipment/setup doesn't already explain.
I have many, many versions of the single and have yet to hear 'different' tambourines et al.
This could fall in to the category of opinion becoming fact many years later.
If I have time, I'll compare the versions I have against the Japanese CD version which is the best quality version of the 'regular' track.
Regards,
FWD.

However...
It is debated and people report hearing little difference that their particular audio equipment/setup doesn't already explain.
I have many, many versions of the single and have yet to hear 'different' tambourines et al.
If I have time, I'll compare the versions I have against the Japanese CD version which is the best quality version of the 'regular' track.
Regards,
FWD.
Cheers. Would this include the German 45? I have that and could compare with the UK LP.

Cheers. Would this include the German 45? I have that and could compare with the UK LP.
Yes, in theory, any of the coloured or black vinyl 7"s via (Line) Germany should come under European. I don't know if the 12"s are considered to have this version - if it exists at all.
If you hear anything different outside the realms of decent amplifiers, correct turntable speeds etc - please report back.
Regards,
FWD.

However...
Regards,
FWD.
I haven't played my Japanese CD rips in forever. Would you say in general these are still the best sounding versions of the album? Or were you just referring to Stop Me?

I haven't played my Japanese CD rips in forever. Would you say in general these are still the best sounding versions of the album? Or were you just referring to Stop Me?
From my POV, yes in most cases.
Just a personal preference I guess, but I like the Japanese ones and have several in high bit rate rips. As I'm certain that version is the 7" version, that rules out things like 2001 remastered versions etc.
Other than Stephane's assertion, I can't see (or remember) anything relating to this 'mix' elsewhere.
Regards,
FWD.

From my POV, yes in most cases.
Just a personal preference I guess, but I like the Japanese ones and have several in high bit rate rips. As I'm certain that version is the 7" version, that rules out things like 2001 remastered versions etc.
Other than Stephane's assertion, I can't see (or remember) anything relating to this 'mix' elsewhere.
Regards,
FWD.
I think I have them all in FLAC. I will have to do some random side by side comparisons.

I thought I still had the German 45, but it turns out I sold it in 2017 after getting the Complete box. I must’ve thought the repro in the box was good enough and that the original was redundant (d’oh).

I do still have the German Line “Stop Me” CD single so I did an A/B with the original UK LP. The tambourine sounds clearer on the Line CD. Not noticing any level difference with the vocal. Frankly, I would guess that the Line CD is just mastered brighter than the LP and that there’s no discernible mix variation between the two, if indeed the “mix” on the CD is the same as on the European 45s.

Back
Top Bottom