Request ~ Morrissey interview with Mavis Nicholson

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
Does anyone recall, or even perhaps possess, a television interview Morrissey did with Mavis Nicholson? It was back in The Smiths days, probably 1984 or 1985, ITV (Regions may vary) or possibly Channel Four.
Moz refers to it in his 'Spin' magazine interview from 1992 (Mavis told a friend of his "There's nothing he likes about himself is there?". Moz said it was "a crushing moment"!)
Nicholson was a great interviewer (she had a great one with Kenneth Williams in 1974) and I'd be interested to know what she made of Morrissey.
That 'Spin' quote is the only reference I can currently find in the various Moz literature.

I've always wondered about that too. I can only guess it must have been her Mavis On 4 afternoon show in the mid 80s but there's no mention of it at Passions Just Like Mine. I also never remember seeing it on any bootleg video or ever speaking to any fan who has a copy. It could be that he was misquoted by the Spin reporter but it is a strange thing to make up. Also Morrissey is the kind of guest personality wise that Mavis would have enjoyed talking to as she also interviewed a lot of his heroes, Williams like you say, Maya Angelou and Victoria Wood.

Thank you very much ST, perhaps you should send an email to Simon Goddard if he watched the programme?

I've always wondered about that too. I can only guess it must have been her Mavis On 4 afternoon show in the mid 80s but there's no mention of it at Passions Just Like Mine. I also never remember seeing it on any bootleg video or ever speaking to any fan who has a copy. It could be that he was misquoted by the Spin reporter but it is a strange thing to make up. Also Morrissey is the kind of guest personality wise that Mavis would have enjoyed talking to as she also interviewed a lot of his heroes, Williams like you say, Maya Angelou and Victoria Wood.

Thanks for that Sim.
She also did an interesting interview with Bowie in 1979 that's worth a look.

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRMhMIOswc

Absolutely brilliant. Could be Morrissey speaking!

That's the bunny! Sorry, I would've linked to it before, but I had to dash. For those too loathe to leave this site, here's the 'embed' ~

That's just what I thought :thumb:
Oh well, perhaps the Moz/Maviz encounter will turn up sometime, when we least expect it...

Last edited by a moderator:
The most interesting part of that interview was Mavis Nicholson. :p

Sadly,
I think if this interview took place it was never aired.
I have never heard of it doing the rounds. If any one has it I would love to watch it.
Mavis also did two interviews with one of my all time hero's Quentin Crisp- I think Moz stole a lot from crisp in the early days ( I have never heard him mention him though).

Back
Top Bottom