Request: 'How Soon is Now?' (extended)

The Spirit of '69

British Biker Boy
I have vague drunken recollections of hearing an 'extended' version of 'How Soon is Now?' several times at The Star & Garter (was it a 12"?). Assuming I'm not hallucinating, if anyone could post a link to it I'd offer the usual effusive thanks. :)

I have vague drunken recollections of hearing an 'extended' version of 'How Soon is Now?' several times at The Star & Garter (was it a 12"?). Assuming I'm not hallucinating, if anyone could post a link to it I'd offer the usual effusive thanks. :)

The version on the Italian 12" of "William, It Was Really Nothing" where it's 7:06 instead of 6:43. Believe I got it, somewhere...

The version on the Italian 12" of "William, It Was Really Nothing" where it's 7:06 instead of 6:43. Believe I got it, somewhere...

Those 23 extra seconds sound like four hours after eight or nine pints of Guinness, believe me.. ;)

You star! Manifold Christmas thanks to you! :)

Thank you Nippon, do you have the (Phil Brown edit) {3:53} an the (other edit) {5:30}, thank you for your kindness.

Thank you Nippon, do you have the (Phil Brown edit) {3:53} an the (other edit) {5:30}, thank you for your kindness.

I have both, but last time I posted them, nightandday complained that they sounded too scratchy. They are vinyl rips, so if you're a bit more tolerant of surface noise, I'll try to post them later unless somebody beats me to it.

I have both, but last time I posted them, nightandday complained that they sounded too scratchy. They are vinyl rips, so if you're a bit more tolerant of surface noise, I'll try to post them later unless somebody beats me to it.

Hey, nothing wrong with a few crackles. I miss vinyl. I say go for it and be prepared for grovelling gratitude. :)

There is a shortened radio edit that exists. I used to have it on my old tapes... before I could get a CD player. Anyway it cuts a majority of the guitars in between the "Theres a club" verse and the "when you say its gonna happen now" verse. Then it fades out.

Anyone have that?

They used to play that on WDRE/WLIR in NY

There is a shortened radio edit that exists. I used to have it on my old tapes... before I could get a CD player. Anyway it cuts a majority of the guitars in between the "Theres a club" verse and the "when you say its gonna happen now" verse. Then it fades out.

Anyone have that?

They used to play that on WDRE/WLIR in NY

That sounds like the Phil Brown edit, which is the only version of the US 7". It's an irritating edit, IMHO. And damn, that reminds me that I dicked around all night and forgot to upload my copy, and now that computer is turned off. Sucks to be y'all; maybe tomorrow.

Here are the versions of How Soon is now and where you can find them

How Soon Is Now? {6:43}

12" and cd-single of "William, It Was Really Nothing" (except in Italy)
UK 7" single reissue of "William, It Was Really Nothing"
"Hatful Of Hollow" album
original 12" of "How Soon Is Now?"
"Meat Is Murder" album
(Canada and USA all formats; Australia CBS LP; Japan Tokuma LP; WEA cd and cassette)
Greek 12" of "Barbarism Begins At Home"
"The 12" mixes", an Australia EP
"Best...I" album
Re-release of the "How Soon Is Now?" single, all formats
(except on UK cd-single#1)
"Singles" album
"The Very Best Of The Smiths" [digitally remastered]

(fade-out) {3:41, but varies slightly by country}
original 7" of "How Soon Is Now?"(except in Canada and the USA)
UK cd-single#1 and Europe cd-single re-release of "How Soon Is Now?"
"The Complete Picture" (video)

(Phil Brown edit) {3:53}
original USA 12" and USA and Canada 7"s of "How Soon Is Now?"

(other edit) {5:30}
UK Buzz #004, a USA radio-only sampler LP

(unfinished studio outtake) {7:06}
Italy 12" of "William, It Was Really Nothing"

i downloaded it and it was "i started something..." not how soon is now.

edit: thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom