Req: Troy Tate "The Smiths"

Does a quality version of the whole aborted 1st Smiths album exist?

I have a copy of the recordings but they are clearly well below par in terms of the quality. Did it get to a finished state in its entirety and does such a bootleg exist?

If you scroll down this thread, you find earlier threads of the same subjects.

One of them has active download links.

Does a quality version of the whole aborted 1st Smiths album exist?

I have a copy of the recordings but they are clearly well below par in terms of the quality. Did it get to a finished state in its entirety and does such a bootleg exist?

Or, send me a PM. There are three versions of the bootleg, the original with skewed pitch, the FIXED pitch version of the same mixes, and then a different set with alternate mixes. Stephane's site goes into great detail on this. Anyway, if you can't get the downloads, I'll upload mine.

Thank you both.

I did find a download link that was live on here and i think it contains the fixed speed and the alternate takes.

The quality on most of the tracks does not sound to me like it was ready to be pressed for release, there are the versions of the songs that have made it on to b-sides etc and they sound a lot better, neater and more polished than the majority of the versions of the troy tate sessions for the other songs. I just wondered if anywhere out there there was a copy of the "finished" article? Or are these really it?

The 'finished' Troy Tate sessions have not leaked yet. Everything that has leaked on bootlegs so far, even the best sounding stuff, is unfinished.

That's some new information! I know there are two sets of Tate recordings in circulation and I thought that one was finished and the other wasn't.

So, what about the two official Tate releases (Jeane and Pretty Girls Make Graves) ... I guess they are the finished versions?

Whilst we are discussing the Troy Tate Sessions....

I have Jeane from Troy Tate Sessions 1 and 2 and the demo. However I have another version of Jeane which is supposed to come from these sessions. Whereas the demo is 2.46 in length and the other two are 3.03, this other version, the music ends at 2.57, it has the backing vocals that the demo does not.
The B side single (TCM) music ends at 3.01 and the Sound Of The Smiths is 3.02.
Perhaps someone would download it and advise if it isn't from the Troy Tate recordings, its' origin.
Or is the timing incorrect, is this just speeded up?
Someone elses' perspective would be appreciated, thank you.
It's only a 6mb zip.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lxj7ot

The first bootlegs of Troy Tate sessions appeared on the market in the early 1990s. They featured what appears to be rough mixes. The pitch (speed) on these is often slower than it should be.
Some bootleg feature speed-corrected versions.

Although this would probably never happen, someone should post a definitive Troy Tate sessions download with all the versions organized and tagged properly.
:)
If someone points me in the right direction to the downloads, I could do it proper and upload it for those who don't have them all.

Although this would probably never happen, someone should post a definitive Troy Tate sessions download with all the versions organized and tagged properly.
:)
I second this. I've never heard them, since I am daunted by them and don't know the first place to start.

As promised:

(this zipfolder contains both sets of Troy Tate mixes)
(the originally circulated set with erroneous pitch is not included)

Thank you so so so much, you are too kind! :)

passionsjustlikemine is actually bookmarked on my firefox, though I hadn't noticed the section you mention. (edit: just checked it out- fabulous!)

Once again thanks, I'm looking forward to listening to this since I have been waiting a long time to do so!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom