Remembering when Kurt Cobain sang ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ in the style of Morrissey, 1991

Remembering when Kurt Cobain sang "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the style of Morrissey, 1991 - Far Out Magazine
LEE THOMAS-MASON
NOVEMBER 11, 2017

Excerpt:

In a biography about Kurt Cobain written by Charles Cross, titled Heavier than Heaven, the journalist confirmed Cobain’s ploy”

“Kurt hatched a plan with Novoselic and Grohl to make a mockery of their performance. As the backing track played, Kurt sang the vocals in a slowed-down, almost Vegas-like lounge version; he was attempting, he later claimed, to sound like Morrissey.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that ‘s setled than.
No more addictions.
No drugs, alcohol, tobacco, junk food, because they are bad and addictive.
No more internet and social media too.
Gaming is very addictive too.
Do you hear us, politicians and governments?
And oh, by the way, this was already “known” many, many years ago.
But don’t do anything about the life climate in cities. Let the small particles flourish. Hey, at least they are not addictive. And don’t do anything about the meat industry. There can’t be any institution more sanctimonious and hypocritical as governments.

Welcome to the age of boredom.
Just hang on in there, you will get used to the boredom quite easily as there won’t be any possibility to escape from it by the big governance and big companies as well.
They ARE the same.
I call this age of witch hunt. It’s almost impossible to say something without offending someone.

I call this age of witch hunt. It’s almost impossible to say something without offending someone.

I, for one sir, am extremely offended by your post innocuous as it may be as I hate innocuous posts. ;) I do love myself some Radiohead though!

I saw them play on their Pablo Honey tour and didn't realize how blessed I was to hear Creep as it would be very soon dropped from the set list. Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain played an equal role in my love for the underground music of the day. OK Computer and Nevermind were revelatory.

Nirvana may be more of an American thing as we were just at the post Reagan era, and searching for something that was more visceral and immediate than the homogenized world that Ronnie created. My singular favorite lyric of Kurt's is "I think I'm dumb, or maybe just happy." "I'm a creep I'm a weirdo." I find them similar in spirit minus the drugs that led to an early demise for Kurt.

As for this version of Teen Spirit, he should stick to being Kurt. People may make fun of Morrissey and his ability to sing, until you try and imitate him and then it turns to mere karaoke at best, and in this case cringe-worthy.

I, for one sir, am extremely offended by your post innocuous as it may be as I hate innocuous posts. ;) I do love myself some Radiohead though!

I saw them play on their Pablo Honey tour and didn't realize how blessed I was to hear Creep as it would be very soon dropped from the set list. Thom Yorke and Kurt Cobain played an equal role in my love for the underground music of the day. OK Computer and Nevermind were revelatory.

Nirvana may be more of an American thing as we were just at the post Reagan era, and searching for something that was more visceral and immediate than the homogenized world that Ronnie created. My singular favorite lyric of Kurt's is "I think I'm dumb, or maybe just happy." "I'm a creep I'm a weirdo." I find them similar in spirit minus the drugs that led to an early demise for Kurt.

As for this version of Teen Spirit, he should stick to being Kurt. People may make fun of Morrissey and his ability to sing, until you try and imitate him and then it turns to mere karaoke at best, and in this case cringe-worthy.
I wasn't really a fan of grunge myself. The whole idea of looking like you just crawled out of tent wasn't appealing to me to get beyond and hear the music.
As for Radiohead, they are, in my opinion, revolutionary and ever evolving. Pablo Honey was really a love at first listen and I can't say that about a lot of artists. My absolute favourites are In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, although each album has its own alluring personalities. I think Jonny Greenwood is one hell of an accomplished multi-instrumentalist and brings a lot of innovative elements into each album. You've probably seen the Smiths cover. If not, enjoy. They'd done a fine job, don't you think? And yes, you are right, Morrissey can't be emulated. There is no one like him. NO. ONE.

I agree. In the way that the smiths were quintessentially British in ways that I’ll never fully understand so we’re nirvana undoubtedly American and of there time. They bared the scars of the nasty side of the sixties and seventies with the extreme social climate of the eighties and spoke to so many common people in places a lot of people didn’t think mattered. Even side songs like sliver felt like hey summed up your life and feelings in so many unspoken ways

I wasn't really a fan of grunge myself. The whole idea of looking like you just crawled out of tent wasn't appealing to me to get beyond and hear the music.
As for Radiohead, they are, in my opinion, revolutionary and ever evolving. Pablo Honey was really a love at first listen and I can't say that about a lot of artists. My absolute favourites are In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, although each album has its own alluring personalities. I think Jonny Greenwood is one hell of an accomplished multi-instrumentalist and brings a lot of innovative elements into each album. You've probably seen the Smiths cover. If not, enjoy. They'd done a fine job, don't you think? And yes, you are right, Morrissey can't be emulated. There is no one like him. NO. ONE.

And for you my friend, I have found using my cable TV to uncover bands I love to try and find songs I have never heard I came across this one. So peaceful and relaxing. I often times listen to it before going to bed.

"Tombs are full of fools who gave their life upon command of
Heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin
And never coming back, never coming back."

And for you my friend, I have found using my cable TV to uncover bands I love to try and find songs I have never heard I came across this one. So peaceful and relaxing. I often times listen to it before going to bed.

Try listen to it when stuck in traffic. It takes the edge off. Roll up the windows and sing to your heart’s content.

I agree. In the way that the smiths were quintessentially British in ways that I’ll never fully understand so we’re nirvana undoubtedly American and of there time. They bared the scars of the nasty side of the sixties and seventies with the extreme social climate of the eighties and spoke to so many common people in places a lot of people didn’t think mattered. Even side songs like sliver felt like hey summed up your life and feelings in so many unspoken ways

Yes to this! The Sex Pistols vs. Nirvana. I heard the Sex Pistols Bodies and I was like what the hell is this. And then Pretty Vacant with of course God Save the Queen and then music for me was stood on its head. Nirvana is of a similar vein. Smells Like Teen Spirit has some of the same qualities. Using a pop-like quality to convey underlying issues of discord and distress.

Too right! Reckon you lots should hear John Lydon sing at the Trump rallies in Rancho Cucamonga m8! Such a "brittish punk hero" just like future governor of California Steve P. Morrissey.

as someone wrote, Cobain was bored with the music industry, have to play numerous times this song in shows, music shows, cook shows, talking shows.

1 side I can understand he killed hiself, but he was also just a father of a young baby you have to take care for.

heroine makes you numb, you don't mind about anything than the next hit...just like an alcoholic wants a next drink, someone who take pills to feel better till the next pill, addiction is a disease

Too right! Reckon you lots should hear John Lydon sing at the Trump rallies in Rancho Cucamonga m8! Such a "brittish punk hero" just like future governor of California Steve P. Morrissey.

Aztec of all the people who post here you really have a way of leaving my head spinning in wonder of what the hell is going on. You appear crazy but there is more to you than meets the cortex. You had me at William Michael Albert Broad and James Newell Osterberg, Jr.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

I'm well aware, and I wouldn't be where I am now regarding them if not for losing far too many (I think I'm up to 8 now) to it. I have to laugh, because it's easier than the alternative. I've known and beaten addiction myself, and I like me just fine.
Hey G23
You've lost 8 friends!
Good god that's shocking.
Added to that you've beaten addiction.
I should keep my preaching to myself.
Apologies.

CharlesPeterson180311.jpg

I think it was pretty funny when the British tabloids said he was very ill so he arrived onstage in a wheelchair.
15galer01a020_big_tp.jpg

And I think Lady Gaga is doing a tribute here. Same wig.

The word witch is offensive.
So you proved your case.
Anyone here at Solo that ever has been called a witch or has ancestors as such, being offended, brutalised and mistreated should take you to court.
And the word witch should be removed from history, wiped out from memory and the victims should receive a pay-back in money from the government for their suffering.

The word broomstick is suspicious and and has to be considered to have a neutral name change.

Harry Potter books and movies, offensive.

I dislike Kurt Cobain and Nirvana so much, they made mediocre music and now they are legends only because Kurt decided to kill himself...

Nirvana certainly went a long way on two songs.

I saw them at the Reading Festival in 1992, and they were OK, but nowhere near as good as fellow headliner Frank Sidebottom. You know they weren’t, they really weren’t.

Hey G23
You've lost 8 friends!
Good god that's shocking.
Added to that you've beaten addiction.
I should keep my preaching to myself.
Apologies.
No need to apologize. That's one reason I'm not too big on the Seattle grunge scene, being from the PNW. It popularized heroin to a generation too young to have seen the consequences for the previous generation, and every decade, like clockwork, it's made a comeback. The two deaths that anger me more than the others are a friend who succumbed to AIDS after being clean for several years- (I count it as a heroin death because the seeds were sown in her time of addiction due to her own choices) and another who died last fall from liver failure due to hepatitis C, again, after being clean for a long time. So it goes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom