Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Jul 20, 2019.

By Famous when dead on Jul 20, 2019 at 7:54 AM
  1. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine (July 19, 2019)
    By Kelly Rankin

Excerpt:

"Jarman worked with several music artists over the years, collaborating with the likes of the Sex Pistols, Marianne Faithful, Patti Smith and Pet Shop Boys, to name a few. But the Smiths were one of his first and most regular collaborators. ‘The Queen is Dead’ is a “Super 8 film triptych” made up of the Smiths hits; ‘The Queen is Dead,’ ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ and ‘Panic.’ It’s an amalgamation of recycled images and clips expressing Morrissey’s deep-cutting lyrics and Marr’s hit melodies. Jarman’s film is disorientating and so eighties that today, it could be mistaken as parody (and I mean this in the most positive way possible). This particular piece of work has fallen off the radar for many when looking back at the great and eclectic range of Jarman’s works, but it definitely deserves a closer look."

[​IMG]

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-derek-jarman-film/

Regards,
    FWD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Troll Troll x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      Love this
      • Like Like x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    2. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      "So eighties" ? This person doesn't have a fucking clue. At the time it was seen as cutting edge. It was typical experimental art of the times.
    3. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      "LOCAL LAND FOR LOCAL PEOPLE"

... at 11:23. The World didn't change so why Moz?
    4. The Truth
      The Truth
      Wouldn't something which was cutting edge in the eighties be "so eighties," though?
      Answer is yes.
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      The video for "Drive that fast" by Kitchens of Distinction reminded me a bit of that Smiths video.

Perhaps inspired by it?

The band talked about Moz a lot especially in interviews in USA and I believe even in a canadian interview.
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    6. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Do you ever get tired of being a 'LOOK AT ME' cunt?
      • Like Like x 2
      • Troll Troll x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      The ASK video, missing from this one, was rather sweet and also directed by Jarman.

• Like Like x 3
      • Troll Troll x 1
    8. Uncleskinny
      Uncleskinny
      Also, while we're on the subject of QID, the instrumental demo shows Rourke at his brilliant best...

• Like Like x 3
      • Troll Troll x 1
    9. evennow
      evennow
      I so much prefer the Ask video over TQID one. TQID video is too fluttery and really doesn't align itself to the lyrics of the song. Feels like a university art experiment that was far too overdone.

I have watched the Ask video a number of times and it is very entertaining. Clips of Morrissey singing with the video bringing out the emotion and humorousness of the lyrics.

In typical Smiths fashion a song built on a whimsical, jingly pop sound with an undertone of introspective and thoughtful lyrics. One of my favorites from Louder Than Bombs.
      • Like Like x 1
    10. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      I'd like to direct a Morrissey video. I think it'd be a real hit. I'm very good.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    11. Stephen Hofmann
      Stephen Hofmann
      Do you ever get sick of being ridiculed?
      • Troll Troll x 2
    12. Ketamine Sun
      Ketamine Sun
      • Like Like x 2
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    13. ThePoliticalRevolution
      ThePoliticalRevolution
      there u are.
      • Troll Troll x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      you didn't understand about Hans and Peter after all. That explains a lot....
    15. Nathan Steggles
      Nathan Steggles
      I don’t think you are or would be
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    16. Nathan Steggles
      Nathan Steggles
      Pot/kettle/black
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. Oh my
      Oh my
      I love Jarman, I love the Smiths... but the Smiths were neither one of his first collaborators, nor one of his most regular collaborators.
      (He never meet them actually, as far as I know).

Jarman was not very 80's... the 80's became very Jarman!!!!
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      Jarman's The Queen Is Dead and Panic are great, almost zeitgeist-capturing works. Ask was tonally a little poor I thought, but you have to say DJ was entirely in tune with the anti-mainstream, anti-corporate, queerness themes of Morrissey. These days I think perhaps the I Won't Share You video is possibly the best.
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      They did meet once in a dressing room. I think Saint Johnny threw up.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1