Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’ - tonedeaf/thebrag.com (29 July, 2019)

bands-reunited.jpg

Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’, the show that tried and failed to reunite The Smiths - Tyler Jenke / Tonedeaf / thebrag.com

Excerpt:

"With the iconic vocalist performing a five-date residency at New York City’s Apollo Theatre in May of 2004, the show’s producers hit upon the idea of simply staking out the venue in hopes of catching Morrissey before he turns up to soundcheck.

While this is a relatively solid idea on paper, its realisation soon heads south, with a six hour stake-out resulting in little more than Morrissey jumping out of his limo, heading into the venue, avoiding the crew, and leaving them without any hopes of a future reunion.

For many fans, the image of Aamer Haleem sobbing against a van is ingrained within their memory, as others wonder why they maybe didn’t try another approach."

https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/bands-reunited-show-tried-failed-reunite-smiths/

A brief article linked to the show as a whole and then focusing on The Smiths episode.

Regards,
FWD.

I don't think the really intended to get The Smiths. They probably did hope to get Morrissey to say no.
I like the Kajagoogoo episode but I don't know any of their songs. it was just interesting how having the one guy, Limahl, made them a hit but then broke up the band.
Klymaxx was good because one of the members was still using the band's name and they talked about it on camera.
They should bring that show back. Is there still such thing as MTV?

Sadly, no. It has been bulldozed over and covered by MTV cribs, beach house, or teen girls having babies. You know...the important topics of the day. To bring the show back we would have to move into 90's bands. I wonder if there are any grunge or other post new wave rock bands in need of reuniting? Where all the members are living.

Yes, those shows were good. You didn't have to like the band. I rewatched a bunch of them recently.

This was a great show, and I liked the Berlin one the best because they seemed to be spirited about reforming if only for a concert or two. It was called reunited and not sign-up for a full fledged tour after all.

I'd imagine this hypothetical modern day artist is not going to even attempt to write a song like something off of LIHS.

They couldn’t if they wanted to.

Bad parody at best.

And I think artists should find their own voice. If I want to listen to Morrissey, then I listen to Morrissey.

Yes but I don’t really believe any outside opinions are going to change his writing abilities.
The question was about if he surrounds himself with yes men, though.
Writing ability is subjective so if you think his last three records are as good as what came before I'm not here to talk you out of it.

The question was about if he surrounds himself with yes men, though.
Writing ability is subjective so if you think his last three records are as good as what came before I'm not here to talk you out of it.

Yes agree. Subjective.

So if an artist surrounds her/himself with yes men then they can’t write great songs?

Sadly, no. It has been bulldozed over and covered by MTV cribs, beach house, or teen girls having babies. You know...the important topics of the day. To bring the show back we would have to move into 90's bands. I wonder if there are any grunge or other post new wave rock bands in need of reuniting? Where all the members are living.

It's true they did go for all 80's bands then. They would probably be trying to mostly reunite bands now that I didn't even know broke up.

If any band from the 80’s needs to be reunited now,
it’s this one.

Here’s just one of their many hits ! enjoy ! .....

:cool:

At this point, I don't even want to see The Smiths reunite, largely because it would never happen post court-case, and honestly, I don't know what they would bring to the table in 2019.

Frankly, Johnny's current band is tighter live on the old Smiths songs than the Smiths ever were back in the 80's. What would make the most sense at this point in time would be for Moz to crash one of Johnny's festival gigs and guest on a few tracks -- perhaps better than Barney's "Drunk Uncle Who Isn't Sure Of The Arrangement Of His Own Song" turn on that Electronic song recently, but short and sweet.

Morrissey and Marr are also bright enough to know not to do that - else people wouldn't *ever* shut up about Smiths reunions and it would be one hundred times worse than the questions they both endure in like every interview, ever. They're both _successfully_ doing their own thing, and probably happier off on their own (similar to David Gilmour and Roger Waters).

Only thing I could see that would facilitate something would be a one-off for a cause or benefit - but for Morrissey, is there any cause (involving people) greater than himself?

They couldn’t if they wanted to.

Bad parody at best.

And I think artists should find their own voice. If I want to listen to Morrissey, then I listen to Morrissey.

Agree that Moz has become a bad parody of himself.

Don’t think many would agree with your post.

:rolleyes:

Morrissey is notoriously stubborn and difficult to work with - why do you think he has gone through so many labels, producers, managers, etc? It's not just the band who are required to be "yes men" but the entire Moz enterprise because he can't cope with being challenged. When they get sick of it, they leave or they are "cast out" - this has happened a dozen times.

Paul McCartney was like this and produced albums of dreck, the kind of stuff that would have been rejected in seconds were it not for his name and his history. In 2005 he brought in a producer, Nigel Godrich, who flat-out told him that some of his songs and ideas were shit, rejected material, and effectively booted his backing band out of the studio to stop them just agreeing to everything. That resulted in a great album, Chaos and Creation. Being challenged in what some people need.

Haven't you died of Aids yet?

1. I haven't had sex with you or shared one of your filthy needles so the answer is no. I don't have HIV. I'm rather healthy in mind and in body. Your response, once again, illustrates just how mentally unwell you are.
2. Your hatred and ignorance show you to be an aggressive homophobe. HIV is not a gay condition. It is however a cureable condition. Your rank homophobia is not.
3. With such blatant homophobic hatred you out yourself as a troll masquerading as a fan.

You read like someone that clearly hates the world but not as much as you hate yourself. It must be lonely on that low rung. Have you ever tried to express kindness or compassion? Or, is that just weakness?

When I heard old Mozz do I Won't Share You at one of these last shows my heart stopped. I had a stroke.
He didn't need Johnny and Andy to have that kind of impact.
Johnny was also fab with the Killers. That was good too, but no stroke. I was fine.
They are great doing their own "Smiths" thing on their own. They are too different now to reunite.

At the risk of being a troll, Moz will never join a band that will tell him what they think if they disagree with him. He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men, and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs. His talents as a vocalist and melodist (not sure if that's a word) are criminally underutilised and have been pretty much since Alain decided enough was enough and walked.
I would think boz has a lot of sway, also the rest of the band members will also be allowed to be creative

1. I haven't had sex with you or shared one of your filthy needles so the answer is no. I don't have HIV. I'm rather healthy in mind and in body. Your response, once again, illustrates just how mentally unwell you are.
2. Your hatred and ignorance show you to be an aggressive homophobe. HIV is not a gay condition. It is however a cureable condition. Your rank homophobia is not.
3. With such blatant homophobic hatred you out yourself as a troll masquerading as a fan.

You read like someone that clearly hates the world but not as much as you hate yourself. It must be lonely on that low rung. Have you ever tried to express kindness or compassion? Or, is that just weakness?

Just you. I hate you and the rubbish you type. I also enjoy winding you up. You fall for it, time......after time.........after time.

Morrissey is notoriously stubborn and difficult to work with - why do you think he has gone through so many labels, producers, managers, etc? It's not just the band who are required to be "yes men" but the entire Moz enterprise because he can't cope with being challenged. When they get sick of it, they leave or they are "cast out" - this has happened a dozen times.

Paul McCartney was like this and produced albums of dreck, the kind of stuff that would have been rejected in seconds were it not for his name and his history. In 2005 he brought in a producer, Nigel Godrich, who flat-out told him that some of his songs and ideas were shit, rejected material, and effectively booted his backing band out of the studio to stop them just agreeing to everything. That resulted in a great album, Chaos and Creation. Being challenged in what some people need.

What do you have against people disagreeing with that post. In the real world a lot of fans would.

Anyway, to put it simply..

1. If Morrissey surrounds himself with yes men then this makes him incapable of writing great songs.

And 2. he can’t deal with people that say no to him. He is ‘stubborn and difficult ‘ to work with.

Well some would agree he did his best work in The Smiths. Then we must assume the other members in The Smiths were always saying no to him.

If Morrissey was/is stubborn as you say, then why did he stay with them as long as he did? Why did he continue to work with Andy and Mike after? And I guess Street must have always said no to him also, because Viva Hate’s not that bad either.

So how stubborn and difficult can Morrissey really be if he continued to work with these people who obviously must have been saying no to him the whole time? And Lillywhite must have always been saying no to him, because Morrissey chose to work with him three times.
So again, how stubborn and difficult is Morrissey to work with? or does Morrissey just like to be abused by the musicians and producers that he works with just because it brings out the best in him?

Now, I’m not saying he’s easy to work with, some of the best artists usually are not easy to work with. Being sensitive and vulnerable they need everyone on the same page and supportive to make real the artists vision so that it can be communicated to the rest of the world.

At the risk of being a troll, Moz will never join a band that will tell him what they think if they disagree with him. He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men, and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs. His talents as a vocalist and melodist (not sure if that's a word) are criminally underutilised and have been pretty much since Alain decided enough was enough and walked.

Someone made a comment recently in another thread that Morrissey needs to work with songwriters that are writing for themselves and not for him. I thought that insight was spot on and exactly what's been happening for some time now. I'm not going to an extreme claiming that everything Morrissey has done in the last 15 years is rubbish (as some here feel). IMO, there have been good songs here and there throughout - but I think it's fair to say the edge has grown dull.

Granted it was a long time ago now, but when Johnny gave him "HSIN?" - I can't imagine it was at all the kind of track he wanted or expected - way out of both of their wheelhouses. Yet look what he did with it (arguably their most well-known track). I'm not saying he should go down some synth-electronic rabbit hole, just that I think he still has it in him to rise to the challenge. Unfortunately, I don't think at this point and age he'll put himself in a situation for that to happen. I'd love to be wrong on that one. :)

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom