Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’ - tonedeaf/thebrag.com (29 July, 2019)

bands-reunited.jpg

Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’, the show that tried and failed to reunite The Smiths - Tyler Jenke / Tonedeaf / thebrag.com

Excerpt:

"With the iconic vocalist performing a five-date residency at New York City’s Apollo Theatre in May of 2004, the show’s producers hit upon the idea of simply staking out the venue in hopes of catching Morrissey before he turns up to soundcheck.

While this is a relatively solid idea on paper, its realisation soon heads south, with a six hour stake-out resulting in little more than Morrissey jumping out of his limo, heading into the venue, avoiding the crew, and leaving them without any hopes of a future reunion.

For many fans, the image of Aamer Haleem sobbing against a van is ingrained within their memory, as others wonder why they maybe didn’t try another approach."

https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/bands-reunited-show-tried-failed-reunite-smiths/

A brief article linked to the show as a whole and then focusing on The Smiths episode.

Regards,
FWD.

I liked that show. I remember the Berlin episode especially

frankie goes to Hollywood was a good episode,sadly holly Johnson was a noshow.

Good show, but not surprisingly the success rate was not high. The only full reunions I recall were Berlin and Flock of Seagulls. The one with ABC was good even though Mark White did not appear. The idea that Bands Reunited could reunite The Smiths was flat out ridiculous to everyone but the producers of the show.

The Squeeze episode seemed a bit, um, staged? That chance meeting with Chris Difford in his favorite pub didn't seem very spontaneous.

Reunite Jobriath!

don't think the producers knew much about the back story on most of these bands,have they never heard of the smiths court case,holly Johnson went to court to get the ip rights to the name frankie goes to Hollywood as it was his idea, and lost the case, so that episode was gone before it even began,fun fact, their name came from holly Johnson seeing a newspaper headline about frank Sinatra.

with a six hour stake-out resulting in little more than Morrissey jumping out of his limo, heading into the venue, avoiding the crew, and leaving them without any hopes of a future reunion.’

Why would he want to talk about reuniting The Smiths while he was in the middle of a successful string of shows at the Apollo. Silly.

with a six hour stake-out resulting in little more than Morrissey jumping out of his limo, heading into the venue, avoiding the crew, and leaving them without any hopes of a future reunion.’

Why would he want to talk about reuniting The Smiths while he was in the middle of a successful string of shows at the Apollo. Silly.
At the risk of being a troll, Moz will never join a band that will tell him what they think if they disagree with him. He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men, and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs. His talents as a vocalist and melodist (not sure if that's a word) are criminally underutilised and have been pretty much since Alain decided enough was enough and walked.

At the risk of being a troll, Moz will never join a band that will tell him what they think if they disagree with him. He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men, and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs. His talents as a vocalist and melodist (not sure if that's a word) are criminally underutilised and have been pretty much since Alain decided enough was enough and walked.

Why would you want to see a band re-unite who would obviously fall apart within months?

Don’t think many would agree with your post.

I would think, especially now and at his age, why would anyone expect an artist of his caliber to listen to anyone?

He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men,and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs.‘

Really? How do you know this? And if he can choose between ‘yes men’ and ‘writing great songs’ what makes you think that by having yes men around you it will make you incapable of writing great songs? And why would Morrissey make that choice? I mean, do you really think he himself thinks he has lost the ability to write great songs? And it’s obviously subjective and just your opinion that he
can’t write great songs. I think LIHS are a great collection of Morrissey songs, they are songs no one else could or would be able to create. Now, I’m not saying all modern day artists should write Morrissey songs, but even if they wanted to they couldn’t write a Morrissey song.

And also, I guess The Smiths were always saying ‘no’ to Morrissey because that enabled him to write great songs !? :lbf:

Alain decided enough was enough and walked.’

Oh, so you know the reason why Alain really left the band? Because he wasn’t a ‘yes man’ ?

:rolleyes:

I don't think the really intended to get The Smiths. They probably did hope to get Morrissey to say no.
I like the Kajagoogoo episode but I don't know any of their songs. it was just interesting how having the one guy, Limahl, made them a hit but then broke up the band.
Klymaxx was good because one of the members was still using the band's name and they talked about it on camera.
They should bring that show back. Is there still such thing as MTV?

Don’t think many would agree with your post.
Survey says 93% agree

He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men,and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs.‘

Really? How do you know this?
Well, if the interview with the nephew didn't clear that up I don't know what it would take.

I think LIHS are a great collection of Morrissey songs, they are songs no one else could or would be able to create. Now, I’m not saying all modern day artists should write Morrissey songs, but even if they wanted to they couldn’t write a Morrissey song.
I'd imagine this hypothetical modern day artist is not going to even attempt to write a song like something off of LIHS.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom