Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’ - tonedeaf/thebrag.com (29 July, 2019)

bands-reunited.jpg

Remembering ‘Bands Reunited’, the show that tried and failed to reunite The Smiths - Tyler Jenke / Tonedeaf / thebrag.com

Excerpt:

"With the iconic vocalist performing a five-date residency at New York City’s Apollo Theatre in May of 2004, the show’s producers hit upon the idea of simply staking out the venue in hopes of catching Morrissey before he turns up to soundcheck.

While this is a relatively solid idea on paper, its realisation soon heads south, with a six hour stake-out resulting in little more than Morrissey jumping out of his limo, heading into the venue, avoiding the crew, and leaving them without any hopes of a future reunion.

For many fans, the image of Aamer Haleem sobbing against a van is ingrained within their memory, as others wonder why they maybe didn’t try another approach."

https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/bands-reunited-show-tried-failed-reunite-smiths/

A brief article linked to the show as a whole and then focusing on The Smiths episode.

Regards,
FWD.

When I heard old Mozz do I Won't Share You at one of these last shows my heart stopped. I had a stroke.
He didn't need Johnny and Andy to have that kind of impact.
Johnny was also fab with the Killers. That was good too, but no stroke. I was fine.
They are great doing their own "Smiths" thing on their own. They are too different now to reunite.
I enjoyed it immensely myself.

Just you. I hate you and the rubbish you type. I also enjoy winding you up. You fall for it, time......after time.........after time.

Not nearly as much as you do dead-dad-boy. The shame the man must he feeling as the flames lick at his feet.

Don’t think many would agree with your post.

I would think, especially now and at his age, why would anyone expect an artist of his caliber to listen to anyone?

He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men,and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs.‘

Really? How do you know this? And if he can choose between ‘yes men’ and ‘writing great songs’ what makes you think that by having yes men around you it will make you incapable of writing great songs? And why would Morrissey make that choice? I mean, do you really think he himself thinks he has lost the ability to write great songs? And it’s obviously subjective and just your opinion that he
can’t write great songs. I think LIHS are a great collection of Morrissey songs, they are songs no one else could or would be able to create. Now, I’m not saying all modern day artists should write Morrissey songs, but even if they wanted to they couldn’t write a Morrissey song.

And also, I guess The Smiths were always saying ‘no’ to Morrissey because that enabled him to write great songs !? :lbf:

Alain decided enough was enough and walked.’

Oh, so you know the reason why Alain really left the band? Because he wasn’t a ‘yes man’ ?

:rolleyes:
I don't know why Alain left, any more than I know why so many artists who worked with him in the past don't seem to last long. I was at Alain's last concert in Dublin where Moz was crying during America Is Not The World, but at that point I didn't know it was his last concert. But aside from all that, do you not think Moz is lacking a creative foil to get the most from him? I loved some songs from LIHS and always championed that album on this site when everyone blasted it, but it doesn't reach the heights of Vauxhall, for example. You're right, it is just my opinion. I look forward to and enjoy every Moz album and concert, but I still think he needs to move from his stagnant Jesse pond into fresher waters with new blood.

Why would you want to see a band re-unite who would obviously fall apart within months?
I have approx. 5% interest in seeing The Smiths reform. It won't happen, and Moz has more than enough great songs to keep us happy. I'd love to see Joy Division reform, err if Ian was alive.

What do you have against people disagreeing with that post. In the real world a lot of fans would.

Anyway, to put it simply..

1. If Morrissey surrounds himself with yes men then this makes him incapable of writing great songs.

And 2. he can’t deal with people that say no to him. He is ‘stubborn and difficult ‘ to work with.

Well some would agree he did his best work in The Smiths. Then we must assume the other members in The Smiths were always saying no to him.

If Morrissey was/is stubborn as you say, then why did he stay with them as long as he did? Why did he continue to work with Andy and Mike after? And I guess Street must have always said no to him also, because Viva Hate’s not that bad either. So how stubborn and difficult can Morrissey really be if he continued to work with these people who obviously must have been saying no to him the whole time? And Lillywhite must have always been saying no to him, because Morrissey chose to work with him three times.
So again, how stubborn and difficult is Morrissey to work with? or does Morrissey just like to be abused by the musicians and producers that he works with just because it brings out the best in him?

Now, I’m not saying he’s easy to work with, some of the best artists usually are not easy to work with. Being sensitive and vulnerable they need everyone on the same page and supportive to make real the artists vision so that it can be communicated to the rest of the world.

You're really, really oversimplifying what I've said - there's a massive difference between 'always saying no' and rightfully challenging someone when you think an aspect of their work is not up to scratch.

As for Mike and Andy - well they had no real input into the creative decisions of the Smiths and it was pretty much their job to 'follow orders', so I'm not sure they're the greatest examples to bring in of people who would challenge Morrissey. And Stephen Street? Look what happened to him after VH - he and Morrissey became estranged and didn't properly speak again until they were both in their 50s, when Street himself offered an olive branch.

Morrissey was "hungry" in the Smiths, he wanted to make his name, he worked hard to do that and so did Johnny. Even with Viva Hate, he was setting out to prove that he could cope on his own. But over time, people become complacent. When you've had decades of success and the same basic set-up for years, why push yourself? He got lazy. He surrounded himself with people who would wear bras, dresses and slogan T-shirts onstage and allow themselves to be laughed at for the sake of a paycheck. People who are musically competent (Tobias aside), but not likely to be poached away by the "Bryan Ferry"'s of the world anytime soon. Mediocrity.

As for him being sensitive and vulnerable - you can't be serious. He's a narcissist to the core.

I enjoyed it immensely myself.

"I Won't Share You" was wonderful. He looked and sounded upset, but then it's a pretty emotional song.

I wish he had sung that beautiful closing line, "I'll see you somewhere... I'll see you sometime, darling" - the perfect ending.

You're really, really oversimplifying what I've said - there's a massive difference between 'always saying no' and rightfully challenging someone when you think an aspect of their work is not up to scratch.

As for Mike and Andy - well they had no real input into the creative decisions of the Smiths and it was pretty much their job to 'follow orders', so I'm not sure they're the greatest examples to bring in of people who would challenge Morrissey. And Stephen Street? Look what happened to him after VH - he and Morrissey became estranged and didn't properly speak again until they were both in their 50s, when Street himself offered an olive branch.

Morrissey was "hungry" in the Smiths, he wanted to make his name, he worked hard to do that and so did Johnny. Even with Viva Hate, he was setting out to prove that he could cope on his own. But over time, people become complacent. When you've had decades of success and the same basic set-up for years, why push yourself? He got lazy. He surrounded himself with people who would wear bras, dresses and slogan T-shirts onstage and allow themselves to be laughed at for the sake of a paycheck. People who are musically competent (Tobias aside), but not likely to be poached away by the "Bryan Ferry"'s of the world anytime soon. Mediocrity.

As for him being sensitive and vulnerable - you can't be serious. He's a narcissist to the core.

Nah. You’re totally wrong, sorry.

:cool:

I don't know why Alain left, any more than I know why so many artists who worked with him in the past don't seem to last long. I was at Alain's last concert in Dublin where Moz was crying during America Is Not The World, but at that point I didn't know it was his last concert. But aside from all that, do you not think Moz is lacking a creative foil to get the most from him? I loved some songs from LIHS and always championed that album on this site when everyone blasted it, but it doesn't reach the heights of Vauxhall, for example. You're right, it is just my opinion. I look forward to and enjoy every Moz album and concert, but I still think he needs to move from his stagnant Jesse pond into fresher waters with new blood.

I don't know why Alain left, any more than I know why so many artists who worked with him in the past don't seem to last long.’

No, we don’t know, so I don’t really think it’s fair for anyone who was not there to plant ideas based on what is usually just lazy assumption.

But aside from all that, do you not think Moz is lacking a creative foil to get the most from him?’

The better question would be, does ‘Morrissey feel he’s lacking a creative foil to get the most from himself ?’ And I guess the only one who can really answer that is Morrissey, not us.

I loved some songs from LIHS and always championed that album on this site when everyone blasted it, but it doesn't reach the heights of Vauxhall, for example.‘

LIHS reaches different heights. His writing style has changed, his earlier writing style is not better or worst when compared to his writing style presently. I feel his writing style was changing with Your Arsenal, a record
where he purposely did not include a lyric sheet because he wanted the listeners experience to be more physical.

I don’t judge a recent album against an earlier album. There is no better or worst, there are only different albums with their own distinct and wonderful offerings. If one is to approach and listen to his work in this way, which I believe is the correct way (well, the fairest way), then the listener will be rewarded differently with each album of his.

If I’m in the mood to listen to Morrissey sing Hand In Glove, then I listen and enjoy it, but then my mood may change and I may crave to hear the more recent Morrissey with his writing style that goes straight to the point, where there is no time to be ambiguous, and so I may listen to Spent The Day In Bed, then I enjoy that just as much. They are different, one is not better or worst than the other.

o_O

maybe delete and re do as everything in this is wrong.:straightface:

If I’m in the mood to listen to Morrissey sing Hand In Glove, then I listen and enjoy it, but then my mood may change and I may crave to hear the more recent Morrissey with his writing style that goes straight to the point, where there is no time to be ambiguous, and so I may listen to Spent The Day In Bed, then I enjoy that just as much. They are different, one is not better or worst than the other.

Well, I never liked Hand In Glove, so you got me there. But certainly his last three records are not as good as what came before.

I don't know why Alain left, any more than I know why so many artists who worked with him in the past don't seem to last long.’

No, we don’t know, so I don’t really think it’s fair for anyone who was not there to plant ideas based on what is usually just lazy assumption.

But aside from all that, do you not think Moz is lacking a creative foil to get the most from him?’

The better question would be, does ‘Morrissey feel he’s lacking a creative foil to get the most from himself ?’ And I guess the only one who can really answer that is Morrissey, not us.

I loved some songs from LIHS and always championed that album on this site when everyone blasted it, but it doesn't reach the heights of Vauxhall, for example.‘

LIHS reaches different heights. His writing style has changed, his earlier writing style is not better or worst when compared to his writing style presently. I feel his writing style was changing with Your Arsenal, a record
where he purposely did not include a lyric sheet because he wanted the listeners experience to be more physical.

I don’t judge a recent album against an earlier album. There is no better or worst, there are only different albums with their own distinct and wonderful offerings. If one is to approach and listen to his work in this way, which I believe is the correct way (well, the fairest way), then the listener will be rewarded differently with each album of his.

There are “better and worst”. Only a light-minded sycophant would have the toddleresque audacity to suggest otherwise.

Your opinion on these matters is not to be taken seriously, until you pull your head out of Melvis’ asshole and join the cognizant.

I normally don’t comment on the filings of rubes. ...but you’re a special case. You seem to have created an identity out of making yourself look like a wasted, stuck pig.

How’s the weather up there, K-hole? The sunshine is lovely out here.

Join us sometime! ;)

Don’t think many would agree with your post.

I would think, especially now and at his age, why would anyone expect an artist of his caliber to listen to anyone?

He is obviously surrounded by sycophantic yes men,and he probably values that over the ability to write great songs.‘

Really? How do you know this? And if he can choose between ‘yes men’ and ‘writing great songs’ what makes you think that by having yes men around you it will make you incapable of writing great songs? And why would Morrissey make that choice? I mean, do you really think he himself thinks he has lost the ability to write great songs? And it’s obviously subjective and just your opinion that he
can’t write great songs. I think LIHS are a great collection of Morrissey songs, they are songs no one else could or would be able to create. Now, I’m not saying all modern day artists should write Morrissey songs, but even if they wanted to they couldn’t write a Morrissey song.

And also, I guess The Smiths were always saying ‘no’ to Morrissey because that enabled him to write great songs !? :lbf:

Alain decided enough was enough and walked.’

Oh, so you know the reason why Alain really left the band? Because he wasn’t a ‘yes man’ ?

The post was spot on. You have a keen ability to duck and run from the truth. ...and then pop back in with some absolute NONSENSE. Morrissey has a driven away all those who could have helped him avoid the elevator music he puts out these days.

...but he has your money anyway, doesn’t he? ...f***ing slag.

So are you saying you couldn't rate the Moz albums in order of your favourites? That they are all your favourites? And if you do have favourites then what makes them stand out? Can you honestly say that musically, lyrically, artistically, an album such as World Peace (for example) is as good as Your Arsenal (for example)? I'm just wondering how anyone could say that every Moz album is equal. I can't say that about any artist. I love every Moz album but some more than others. For example I like Maladjusted but its one of the last Moz albums I'd listen to.
I don't rate Jesse as a player or writer. I don't rate Jason Cooper as a player (drummer with The Cure). I like him but he pales in comparison to Boris Williams or Andy Anderson. I have favourite Cure albums. I am incapable of saying they ate all brilliant, just different. Maybe thats just me.

So are you saying you couldn't rate the Moz albums in order of your favourites? That they are all your favourites? And if you do have favourites then what makes them stand out? Can you honestly say that musically, lyrically, artistically, an album such as World Peace (for example) is as good as Your Arsenal (for example)? I'm just wondering how anyone could say that every Moz album is equal. I can't say that about any artist. I love every Moz album but some more than others. For example I like Maladjusted but its one of the last Moz albums I'd listen to.
I don't rate Jesse as a player or writer. I don't rate Jason Cooper as a player (drummer with The Cure). I like him but he pales in comparison to Boris Williams or Andy Anderson. I have favourite Cure albums. I am incapable of saying they ate all brilliant, just different. Maybe thats just me.
Yeah. That’s EXACTLY what she’s saying, from the K-hole - up Melvis’ anus.

Weller had it going for a bit but, he’s too centrist for the times. Melvis has overtaken the throne and is now the true and indisputable KING of dad-pop artists. ...who’s albums NOBODY bought or heard, save for the frozen food aisle or elevator.

So are you saying you couldn't rate the Moz albums in order of your favourites? That they are all your favourites? And if you do have favourites then what makes them stand out?’

No. Different favorites for different times. Each one has it’s own unique offering.

Can you honestly say that musically, lyrically, artistically, an album such as World Peace (for example) is as good as Your Arsenal (for example)?

I can honestly say that musically, lyrically, artistically, an album such as World Peace (for example) is as good as Your Arsenal because it’s different than Your Arsenal (for example). :p

Though, if forced to pick only 3 Morrissey albums... I would choose Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall. Not because they are better than the others, but because of the impression they made on the person that I was at that time. Though to call them my favorites
just wouldn’t be correct.

Sorry, if this is difficult for others to understand.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom