Remember the Coupland interview 2006?

Danny_

Forgot my login!
Well Coupland finally comes clean and tells us why it was so shit. This is hilarious!

http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/enterta...90915-interviewdouglas-coupland-and-gene.aspx

I'd actually never interviewed anyone before. With Morrissey, there was this shocking amount of money behind it—flying first class to Rome. I thought, give me some of those [sleeping pill] thingies or whatever, that make it so easy. I took one on the flight there and got to the hotel at like eight at night and took one and woke up at four in the morning and took another one and I woke up and thought, "Gee I feel alert and awake!" I had a coffee and the phone rang, and the woman on the phone says: "Morrissey's bored. He wants to know if you'll do the interview now." That's so Morrissey. So I went there and then I walked in the lounge area and everything started changing proportion—and then suddenly I was on the phone with my agent and I was like What Time Is It? I had this drug-induced, complete ... I kind of remember his hand being like, [gestures widely with arms] this big, and I kinda remember I was talking about the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I have no idea why. I don't know what happened for almost all of it— He well could have suggested we open up a seafood restaurant together, I don't know. And then I had to write around the fact. Morrissey if you read this: sorry.

Well Coupland finally comes clean and tells us why it was so shit. This is hilarious!

http://www.gqmagazine.co.uk/enterta...90915-interviewdouglas-coupland-and-gene.aspx

I'd actually never interviewed anyone before. With Morrissey, there was this shocking amount of money behind it—flying first class to Rome. I thought, give me some of those [sleeping pill] thingies or whatever, that make it so easy. I took one on the flight there and got to the hotel at like eight at night and took one and woke up at four in the morning and took another one and I woke up and thought, "Gee I feel alert and awake!" I had a coffee and the phone rang, and the woman on the phone says: "Morrissey's bored. He wants to know if you'll do the interview now." That's so Morrissey. So I went there and then I walked in the lounge area and everything started changing proportion—and then suddenly I was on the phone with my agent and I was like What Time Is It? I had this drug-induced, complete ... I kind of remember his hand being like, [gestures widely with arms] this big, and I kinda remember I was talking about the Creature from the Black Lagoon, I have no idea why. I don't know what happened for almost all of it— He well could have suggested we open up a seafood restaurant together, I don't know. And then I had to write around the fact. Morrissey if you read this: sorry.

Wow. I've never read anything like that. I don't know if I have more respect for Coupland or less. :straightface:

Wait... Isn't he the guy who said that Morrissey has a freakishly enormous head?

^^ Yes, and as a Coupland fan I'm relieved that I can let go of my 3-year long grudge against him for saying that now that he's apologized and was high at the time. :lbf:

I think it's quite impressive how he managed to bullshit his way through the article and managed to spin it as a comment on the nature of the celebrity interview. :D

I think it's quite impressive how he managed to bullshit his way through the article and managed to spin it as a comment on the nature of the celebrity interview. :D

I hope this unpleasant episode doesn't shake your devout faith in professional journalism, Danny. :rolleyes:

tit...

Back
Top Bottom