Remastered "Vauxhall & I" details (June 2) - Uncut

Mr. Winning is incorrect. Brixton Academy the night before was far superior as were Glasgow and Motherwell.

Dead right. I've never heard a crowd noise, before or since, like the one that greeted the debut of 'Shoplifters' at Barrowland. And Motherwell was purest loving pandemonium. At Dreary Lane he was sick, and too many people were playing dress-up for it to be anything but a bittersweet anti-climax.

I'm very excited to hear the remastering on this one. While the songs themselves are brilliant and among his absolute best; I've always felt that the music sounds muffled, as though it were being recorded in the next room through a wall. Those drums at the end of "Speedway" should be clear, crisp, and thundering.

I think you need to get a better sound system. Remasters are a novelty.

- marred.

Dead right. I've never heard a crowd noise, before or since, like the one that greeted the debut of 'Shoplifters' at Barrowland. And Motherwell was purest loving pandemonium. At Dreary Lane he was sick, and too many people were playing dress-up for it to be anything but a bittersweet anti-climax.

Ah them were the days where setlists were surprises due to the lack of the interweb, people still sold fanzines outside and the unveiling of a surprise Smiths song was treated like the Second Coming. (Although Scotland were the first dates so setlists would have not been entirely known even in this modern day and age)

Although I'm not sure what the best Boxers gig was - Aston Villa Leisure Centre on a Saturday night even dosed up on Kaolin and Morphine took some beating on a personal level, full of rowdy, pissed-up Brummies. I was probably at the worst (Bristol Colston Hall) where Moz's lurgy was in full effect.

Last edited:
Although I'm not sure what the best Boxers gig was - Aston Villa Leisure Centre on a Saturday night even dosed up on Kaolin and Morphine took some beating on a personal level, full of rowdy, pissed-up Brummies.

I was there too. It was indeed a great gig. Pandemonium at times. The place practically exploded when they kicked-off with Billy Budd. Moz was wearing a Villa shirt at some point, wasn't he? I remember being totally bemused by some fans complaining about the gig and the lack of Smiths songs on the way out.

I'm very excited to hear the remastering on this one. While the songs themselves are brilliant and among his absolute best; I've always felt that the music sounds muffled, as though it were being recorded in the next room through a wall. Those drums at the end of "Speedway" should be clear, crisp, and thundering.

I'm also excited about the remaster. I remember being a little disappointed with how subtle the drums were when Vauxhall came out (especially in comparison to Arsenal!), but over time came to love it. Vauxhall is widely regarded as Moz's solo classic and I think the unique sound has a lot to do with that. Fingers crossed that WPINOYB is more like this (and less RAWK)!

Don't mind the colour change of the title to match ol' blue eyes, but they should've kept the old typefaces.

Found this Vauxhall reissue press release on a music blog (not sure if it's official, as they describe the sound at the beginning of Speedway as a the rev of an engine rather than a chainsaw)

That is so true. It's a classic concert video -- badly needs a better format.

That's true, but the sound quality of "Introducing Morrissey" is absolutely perfect IMO. It's one of the best-sounding concerts I've heard, especially for a VHS tape. I'm not so sure a DVD release would retain that quality as the audio would likely be boosted to match current maximized 2014 levels.

I find the quick cuts between cameras in "Introducing Morrissey" to be very distracting and irritating to watch. Every song is cut like its own music video and the video fails to capture the Morrissey concert experience. It would be great if one of the two nights filmed could be recut for a new release. Since both nights were shot on film, it could be released in high definition as well, that would be outstanding to see. I would also love to see the soundcheck footage in addition to having "Used To Be A Sweet Boy" and "Shoplifters..." in the set, as both were filmed.

Last edited:
I assume Warner hadn't allowed them to use Introducing even if they had thought of it. And that's a comforting idea. It could have been his greatest release so far!

Scotland is always the best. Glasgow particularly. We have loved music from the council home's , which is why he is loved. Goodnight now...numptie's

I just want a new album. The Auto-Biography is great. New product is all I care to see. I'm a huge fan, but at this point that's all I really care about.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom