Religion Redux

nogodsnomasters85

Not Stirred
I just HAD to share this. The Archdiocese of Washington DC recently announced that the city council MUST not extend rights for gay couples or it will terminate all the soup kitchens, shelters and charities it operates, on which an estimated 68,000 poor people depend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html?hpid=topnews

This is an attempt at extortion, an attempted affront to the separation between church and state, and, really beautifully, illustrates what a hateful institution the church really is.

It makes me lol that the church is against gay marriage but they protect illegal immigrants.

This makes Baby Jesus cry.

It just shows up this "christian virtue" nonsense for what it is. They are threatening to kick poor hungry people out onto the street. They know how many people that would hurt, in fact, that's the point, that's what makes it a potent threat, and they don't care.

You're right. All that "christian virtue" is a bunch of b.s.

But, What Would Jesus Do? I'll tell ya. Jesus would...

oh, never mind. My answer involved the Archibishop's cock and soup and bread to feed every person in the greater DC area with so much as a twinge of hunger. But MY answer doesn't matter.

This is no surprise. It's not like the Catholic Church has any interests at heart other than its own. It's like f***ing Microsoft at this point.

If something like this would happen in my city, the religious fanatics would probably get their way. I hope DC is different.

It's not like the Catholic Church has any interests at heart other than its own. It's like f***ing Microsoft at this point.
exactly and in addition I really do not see how the Catholic Church has ever really had anything to do with the teachings of Chirst :straightface:
other than being founded by the guy(Peter) who first turned his back on Jesus and denied him, so effin screw Peter and his blood soaked church! :cool:

"Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers."

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the Church has coughed up $10 million from its own fund. On top of that, I'm sure numerous Catholic volunteers work in the food pantries, shelters, etc...in some sort of capacity.

What's the big deal?
Same sex marriage is against the teachings of the Church and they don't want to work with the City that endorses it. I'm sure the Church will maintain their own food pantries, shelters, free health clinics, etc... to provide for those in the community who are in need, just as they do in many other cities and towns.

Let the City find another organization who can come up with a cool $10 million.

I'm not Catholic, nor do I endorse much of what the Church does; but hey,
it's their money, their volunteers, their CHOICE to either partner with the City or not.

"Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church. City leaders said the church is not the dominant provider of any particular social service, but the church pointed out that it supplements funding for city programs with $10 million from its own coffers."

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the Church has coughed up $10 million from its own fund. On top of that, I'm sure numerous Catholic volunteers work in the food pantries, shelters, etc...in some sort of capacity.

What's the big deal?
Same sex marriage is against the teachings of the Church and they don't want to work with the City that endorses it. I'm sure the Church will maintain their own food pantries, shelters, free health clinics, etc... to provide for those in the community who are in need, just as they do in many other cities and towns.

I'm not Catholic, nor do I endorse much of what the Church does; but hey,
it's their money, their volunteers, their CHOICE to either partner with the City or not.

But if they are trying to influence local politics, local laws and policy, then they are acting as a PAC and should lose their tax-exempt status. You can't have it both ways.

But if they are trying to influence local politics, local laws and policy, then they are acting as a PAC and should lose their tax-exempt status. You can't have it both ways.

I wasn't talking about their tax-exempt status.

That's a tough one, there are so many who abuse it, and so many who don't.
Then there are Christian-based non profit organizations such as the YMCA; where does revoking their t-e status leave them? They do wonders for communities. It's a can of worms, so to speak. In my mind, we have much bigger problems than that right now.

I can't say that the Church acting in this way surprises me anymore, it's much like being surprised that your junkie mate has stolen from you once again, so for me the saddest thing is the fact that the city is so broke that is outsourcing the basic functions of a civilised society to such people in the first place.

I can't say that the Church acting in this way surprises me anymore, it's much like being surprised that your junkie mate has stolen from you once again, so for me the saddest thing is the fact that the city is so broke that is outsourcing the basic functions of a civilised society to such people in the first place.

:lbf: nice analogy.

Washington DC a Civilized society? That's even funnier.
Marion Barry is a perfect example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

What's the big deal?
the big deal is that the Catholic Church defines its mission as spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ and engaging in charitable works :straightface:
so the church's current anti gay position being so rabid that it will not do such works is just nuts:crazy:
& it really just displays how unlike Jesus Christ those in control of the Church are :mad:
I mean just think about it? Who the hell would actually believe Jesus to be against same sex marriage? :eek:
honestly, it would be best if people came to think of many major sects of the Christian faith to be frauds when it comes to representing a "Christ" :cool:

I'm not Catholic, nor do I endorse much of what the Church does

I was raised Catholic and that is why I not only do not endorse what the Church does, but am certain that much of the agenda of the Church is best treated first and foremost with suspicion. It really is a shame so many choose to taint their altruism with the church's sinister banner
tsktskog7.gif

ps: at a time when our country is in dire financial turmoil :(
its pretty ridiculous that so much wealth is hidden and free from taxation in these churches!
1106ck8.gif

Last edited:
Isn't divorce also something baby jesus will cry about?

Why aren't they threatening the city to make divorce illegal?

In all the times I've seen that question asked, I'm yet to see an even semi-logical answer to it. Go figure, eh? :rolleyes:

I just HAD to share this. The Archdiocese of Washington DC recently announced that the city council MUST not extend rights for gay couples or it will terminate all the soup kitchens, shelters and charities it operates, on which an estimated 68,000 poor people depend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html?hpid=topnews

This is an attempt at extortion, an attempted affront to the separation between church and state, and, really beautifully, illustrates what a hateful institution the church really is.

It's no more extortion than if they were required to perform these social services they have threatened to cut. However, I think part of the reason churches are tax-exempt is based on a presumption that they will be performing community service.

So it's simple. Remove their tax-exempt status.

The costs were split about 50-50 between the archdiocese and the state. That’s' central to the issue, that an organization receiving federal funds should not be allowed to discriminate. Although, the boy scouts does.

What's the big deal?

Let me define "the big deal." The deal is that we are continually subjected to bullshit from religious people and organizations about "christian values" and the supposed moral lessons of Christ. Christians hoist themselves on this platform of moral superiority at every chance. The problem being, beyond the self-aggrandizing nonsense, is that the church is actually an extremely bigoted and hateful organization that doesn't practice what it preaches. The greatest sin in politics is hypocrisy, and the church is totally guilty. As far as I know there was no public statement about charity work in the future, I doubt it was a primary concern. Regardless, people in desperate need are going to be denied urgently needed help, or those programs at the very least will be delayed for who knows how long. They don't are, that is the point. For all this professed moral superiority they would be perfectly willing to kick the poor in the teeth over ideology. It shows the true colors. Sarah Silverman recently did a joke video suggesting the Vatican (Who is very secretive about the finances of the Vatican Bank.) use their enormous wealth to end world hunger, they can afford to. That will never happen, however. Because they care,...but not that much. So pushing the hungry into the street is better than even risking the possibility of having to offer equal benefits to the spouse of a gay employee to a public charity. Unlike f***ing young boys, which occasionally can't be helped, apparently.

If we were talking about private investors or a conglomerate, you'd have a point. However, these are the people who would have us believe are the bastions of morality and decency threatening to jeopardize thousands of needy people. It just speaks volumes. Moreover, this is a sort of extortion, a blatant attempt to subvert the separation of church and state.

Because divorce doesn't involve men kissing each other. Interestingly, pedophilia does not make baby jesus cry. Little known fact.

Last edited:
Apparently the pressing issue on the conservative christian agenda is hugging, specifically face-to-face hugging because then there isn't sufficient distance between people's breasts or genitalia, and it could, theoretically, provoke lust, or an erection in a man. So, the answer to this crisis is the "side hug", where you stand next to someone and wrap your arm around their shoulders (Briefly, of course. Wouldn't want to risk getting an erection.) Anyhow, here's a video of some bogus christian-rap group doing a song about it. This shit is hilarious.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0daJoMRm1x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0daJoMRm1x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
Apparently the pressing issue on the conservative christian agenda is hugging, specifically face-to-face hugging because then there isn't sufficient distance between people's breats or genitalia, and it could, theoretically, provoke lust, or an erection in a man. So, the answer to this crisis is the "side hug", where you stand next to someone and wrap your arm around their shoulders (Briefly, of course. Wouldn't want to risk getting an erection.) Anyhow, here's a video of some bogus christian-rap group doing a song about it. This shit is hilarious.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0daJoMRm1x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0daJoMRm1x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

i saw that earlier today and i almost made a whole thread for it! haha

wes clark jr is really cute, btw.

I'm not surprised.

Anything that threatens the bigoted, hateful and archaic stance of the church is met with brutal force.

Anyone who thinks religion has a place in our society or lives at this stage in our evolution is deluded, and this is just one example among millions.

Back
Top Bottom