Morrissey Central "Release" - Bonfire release details (October 29, 2022)

As posted on Morrissey central

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal. ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is produced by Grammy-producer Andrew Watt, and was recorded in Los Angeles. The musicians on the album are Jesse Tobias, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer (ex-Chili Peppers), and Chad Smith and Flea (both of the Chili Peppers). The album features Miley Cyrus and Iggy Pop on additional vocals. The eleven tracks are: I Am Veronica, Rebels Without Applause, Kerouac’s Crack, Ha Ha Harlem, I Live in Oblivion, Bonfire of Teenagers, My Funeral, Diana Dors, I Ex-love You, Sure Enough The Telephone Rings, Saint In a Stained Glass Window. Album art is by Liam Lynch. Capitol Records (Los Angeles) has also licensed the rights to re-release Morrissey’s albums ‘Southpaw Grammar’, ‘You Are The Quarry’, ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’, ‘Years of Refusal’ and ‘World Peace is None of Your Business’, and these will be available in deluxe vinyl/LP formats. As with ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’, the albums will be issued worldwide except for the United Kingdom until a UK label steps in. Morrissey is managed by Maverick/Quest in Los Angeles.

Morrissey’s next concert is at the Toyota Arena, Ontario, California on November 11.

DSCF3881.JPG
DSCF3890.JPG

Photos by S.E.R.

Media items:

George Michael’s latest release?

I do wonder if getting a record deal in the UK will be dependent on Moz releasing some sort of statement clarifying / distancing himself from his previous support for For Britain? Something about being impressed with their stance on animal rights, but wanting to confirm that he stands against racism and Islamophobia, without suggesting that FB stood for either of those, of course. Something bland enough to keep his dignity, and not throw AMW under a bus, but specific enough to cleanse him, at least partly, from the sin of being associated with the 'far right' in the eyes of the record company and the mainstream media. Would he ever sign such a statement? Will BOT ever get a release in the UK without such a statement? Watch this space...
What a waste of time that would be. He has already denounced racism but that’s ignored and wokists will be wokists.

I do wonder if getting a record deal in the UK will be dependent on Moz releasing some sort of statement clarifying / distancing himself from his previous support for For Britain? Something about being impressed with their stance on animal rights, but wanting to confirm that he stands against racism and Islamophobia, without suggesting that FB stood for either of those, of course. Something bland enough to keep his dignity, and not throw AMW under a bus, but specific enough to cleanse him, at least partly, from the sin of being associated with the 'far right' in the eyes of the record company and the mainstream media. Would he ever sign such a statement? Will BOT ever get a release in the UK without such a statement? Watch this space...

You're not wondering - you've expressed your opinion on this in many posts in the Daily Mail thread.

And it remains the case that record companies have said nothing.

What a waste of time that would be. He has already denounced racism but that’s ignored and wokists will be wokists.
Most of us would see it that way, I agree. Not saying he should release such a statement. Not saying he ever would release such a statement. But I'm not so sure that a record label in the UK would see it as such a waste of time. He's a British / Irish artist who advised people in the UK to support a party that the mainstream media in the UK describe as 'far right'. He wants to release an album that references what he calls 'England's 9/11'. That's potentially toxic stuff for any record label in the UK. Outside the UK no one knows anything about For Britain. In the UK - any record label will worry about being boycotted. Music sales are low enough these days, without a record label having to worry about that.

Most of us would see it that way, I agree. Not saying he should release such a statement. Not saying he ever would release such a statement. But I'm not so sure that a record label in the UK would see it as such a waste of time. He's a British / Irish artist who advised people in the UK to support a party that the mainstream media in the UK describe as 'far right'. He wants to release an album that references what he calls 'England's 9/11'. That's potentially toxic stuff for any record label in the UK. Outside the UK no one knows anything about For Britain. In the UK - any record label will worry about being boycotted. Music sales are low enough these days, without a record label having to worry about that.

You've expressed your opinions on this too many times to pretend that post is about record companies.

You have been supportive of that party, you want statements against migrants & trans.

Reputations change.

Record companies have said nothing.

You've expressed your opinions on this too many times to pretend that post is about record companies.

You have been supportive of that party, you want statements against migrants & trans.

Reputations change.

You're clearly determined to respond to the voices in your head, rather than what people have actually posted here.
For the Billy Braggs of this world, and your friends on the left, Moz doesn't need to say anything more against migrants - he has already said quite enough thank you very much from their point of view.
Not sure why you have brought trans in to your post. Did the voices say that?
I'm just speculating whether there are people out there, some fans and former fans, and some record company executives, who might find some sort of clarification helpful. I for one want to see BOT released in the UK. Something is going on in the background currently to prevent that.
This isn't about 'reputations'. It's about facts. Morrissey voiced support for FB and wore their badge. Fact. I reckon it's just possible record labels in the UK might be asking him to clarify that before they sign him. I could be completely wrong. But I don't think it's a preposterous speculation. What's preposterous is your response to my speculation.
The woke in the UK have been relatively quiet about Moz recently - because they have got what they want: he is unable to release new material in the UK. If that were to change, with his previous support for FB still hanging over him, just watch the woke go hunting again, with Moz the quarry...

Last edited:
You're deranged. And clearly determined to respond to the voices in your head, rather than what people have actually posted here.
For the Billy Braggs of this world, and your friends on the left, Moz doesn't need to say anything more against migrants - he has already said quite enough thank you very much from their point of view.
Not sure why you have brought trans in to your post. Did the voices say that?
I'm just speculating whether there are people out there, some fans and former fans, and some record company executives, who might find some sort of clarification helpful. I for one want to see BOT released in the UK. Something is going on in the background currently to prevent that.
This isn't about 'reputations'. It's about facts. Morrissey voiced support for FB and wore their badge. Fact. I reckon it's just possible record labels in the UK might be asking him to clarify that before they sign him. I could be completely wrong. But I don't think it's a preposterous speculation. What's preposterous is your response to my speculation.
The woke in the UK have been relatively quiet about Moz recently - because they have got what they want: he is unable to release new material in the UK. If that were to change, with his previous support for FB still hanging over him, just watch the woke go hunting again, with Moz the quarry...

You've made another post about your political opinions.

No one "on the left" has said their objective is that he can't release material in the UK that he's played live in the UK & which is available to listen to online in the UK.

Last edited:
From Wiki about Andrew Watt - the album's producer:

Beginning in 2022, Watt became the guitarist of the Earthlings, Vedder's touring band for his solo shows. The Earthlings also feature Chad Smith on drums, Chris Chaney on bass, and Josh Klinghoffer on guitar.

it may be months before we hear anything else about the release,bit pointless people moaning at each other about will he or wont he get a deal.

Perhaps the reason we don’t have an official press release yet is because the UK negotiations are still on going. You don’t announce a big plan and push until all your markets, especially your biggest is agreed.

Once again camp moz has jumped the gun

Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'Unlimited Love' released April 1st 2022: reached #1 in Argentina, #1 in Australia, #1 in Austria, #1 in Canada, #1 in Croatia, #1 in France, #1 in Germany, #1 in Hungary, #1 in Ireland, #1 in The Netherlands, #1 in New Zealand, #1 in Portugal, #1 in Switzerland, #1 in the UK, #1 on the US Billboard 200, #1 on US Top Alternative Albums Billboard chart, #1 on US Top Rock Albums Billboard chart. Also #2 in Belgium, #2 in Greece, #2 in Italy, #2 in Spain, #2 in Sweden, #3 in Czechia, #3 in Finland, #4 in Denmark, #4 in Poland, #7 in Lithuania, #9 in Japan, #9 in Norway.

Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'Return of the Dream Canteen' released October 14th 2022: reached #1 in Austria, #1 in France, #1 in Germany, #1 in The Netherlands #1 in New Zealand, #1 in Switzerland, #1 on US Top Alternative Albums Billboard chart, #1 on US Top Rock Albums Billboard chart. Also #2 in Australia, #2 in Belgium, #2 in Hungary, #2 in the UK, #3 in Canada, #3 on the US Billboard 200, #4 in Ireland, #4 in Poland, #5 in Italy, #7 in Spain, #9 in Japan.

Iggy Pop monthly Spotify listeners: 4.7 million.
Red Hot Chili Peppers monthly Spotify listeners: 26.3 million.
Miley Cyrus monthly Spotify listeners: 34.4 million.
Morrissey monthly Spotify listeners: 1.7 million.

What on earth do the Red Hot Chilly Peppers have to do with the aesthetic of the Smiths or Moz? Seriously.

What on earth do the Red Hot Chilly Peppers have to do with the aesthetic of the Smiths or Moz? Seriously.

Good job moving the goalposts. You called them hasbeens, I provided their recent chart positions which shows they can't really be called hasbeens, and you ask what they've got to do with the aesthetic of The Smiths. What does Morrissey in 2022 have to do with the aesthetic of The Smiths? Seriously. Most of his music of the past ten years has more in common with the Red Hot Chili Peppers than it does with anything he released in the 1980s. Songs like Neal Cassady Drops Dead and Jacky's Only Happy would fit better on Stadium Arcadium than on Meat is Murder. All they're missing are Flea's basslines; they even have rap style vocals at times. Morrissey in 2022 is Sir Psycho Sexy and you refuse to acknowledge it. If someone read me the lyrics to that RHCP song without telling me what it was, with its awkward and clumsy depictions of sex I might be inclined to ask: "is that a passage from List of the Lost?".

I thought about this earlier and I wanted to share it...

It's very interesting that the only player from Morrissey's usual band lineup to play on Bonfire happens to be Jesse Tobias --- who auditioned for and I believe was 'in' the Chili Peppers for a short while. He was replaced by Dave Navarro (famous tattoo guy) who had maybe a two year tenure with the group, but played on only one RHCP album in the 90s. So, Jesse had wanted to be in that group --- but never became a member.

Fast forward 25 years, Jesse is playing in Morrissey's band (for a long while now) and is selected by his band's namesake to record the new album with essentially what was 2020/2021 RHCP lineup without Anthony Kiedis (Flea, Chad Smith, Klinghoffer). It's a heck of a story and a such an awesome thing for Jesse.

Is Morrissey pulling the strings here? I mean, it worked out so cleanly that, albeit 25 years later, Jesse is recording an album with the Chili Peppers, the players anyway.

It's very interesting that the only player from Morrissey's usual band lineup to play on Bonfire happens to be Jesse Tobias --- who auditioned for and I believe was 'in' the Chili Peppers for a short while. He was replaced by Dave Navarro (famous tattoo guy) who had maybe a two year tenure with the group, but played on only one RHCP album in the 90s. So, Jesse had wanted to be in that group --- but never became a member.

Fast forward 25 years, Jesse is playing in Morrissey's band (for a long while now) and is selected by his band's namesake to record the new album with essentially what was 2020/2021 RHCP lineup without Anthony Kiedis (Flea, Chad Smith, Klinghoffer). It's a heck of a story and a such an awesome thing for Jesse.

Is Morrissey pulling the strings here? I mean, it worked out so cleanly that, albeit 25 years later, Jesse is recording an album with the Chili Peppers, the players anyway.

yes it was Morrissey’s lifelong goal to reunite Jesse with the Peppers. Now he can scratch that off his bucket list.

Morrissey wanted to work with Flea in his tighty whities
Screenshot 2022-11-08 11.47.51 PM.png

Good job moving the goalposts. You called them hasbeens, I provided their recent chart positions which shows they can't really be called hasbeens, and you ask what they've got to do with the aesthetic of The Smiths. What does Morrissey in 2022 have to do with the aesthetic of The Smiths? Seriously. Most of his music of the past ten years has more in common with the Red Hot Chili Peppers than it does with anything he released in the 1980s. Songs like Neal Cassady Drops Dead and Jacky's Only Happy would fit better on Stadium Arcadium than on Meat is Murder. All they're missing are Flea's basslines; they even have rap style vocals at times. Morrissey in 2022 is Sir Psycho Sexy and you refuse to acknowledge it. If someone read me the lyrics to that RHCP song without telling me what it was, with its awkward and clumsy depictions of sex I might be inclined to ask: "is that a passage from List of the Lost?".

Which is why he should make music in the UK.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom