Morrissey Central "Release" - Bonfire release details (October 29, 2022)

As posted on Morrissey central

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal. ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is produced by Grammy-producer Andrew Watt, and was recorded in Los Angeles. The musicians on the album are Jesse Tobias, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer (ex-Chili Peppers), and Chad Smith and Flea (both of the Chili Peppers). The album features Miley Cyrus and Iggy Pop on additional vocals. The eleven tracks are: I Am Veronica, Rebels Without Applause, Kerouac’s Crack, Ha Ha Harlem, I Live in Oblivion, Bonfire of Teenagers, My Funeral, Diana Dors, I Ex-love You, Sure Enough The Telephone Rings, Saint In a Stained Glass Window. Album art is by Liam Lynch. Capitol Records (Los Angeles) has also licensed the rights to re-release Morrissey’s albums ‘Southpaw Grammar’, ‘You Are The Quarry’, ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’, ‘Years of Refusal’ and ‘World Peace is None of Your Business’, and these will be available in deluxe vinyl/LP formats. As with ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’, the albums will be issued worldwide except for the United Kingdom until a UK label steps in. Morrissey is managed by Maverick/Quest in Los Angeles.

Morrissey’s next concert is at the Toyota Arena, Ontario, California on November 11.

DSCF3881.JPG
DSCF3890.JPG

Photos by S.E.R.

Media items:

Wonder if Capitol agreed to sign Moz on the condition that they
get to re-issue those old records or if Moz agreed to sign only if
Capitol re-issue the old records.
Seems like an important part of the deal.

win win for both sides, whoever instigated it.

But I don't buy records by artists who are racists and hate spreaders...

I also don't buy records with really baaaad cover art. It ruins the music for me. So what if I'm picky and have scruples.

I also don't buy records with really baaaad cover art. It ruins the music for me. So what if I'm picky and have scruples.

Then I guess that means you’ll be buying the album, that’s if you can get over the so-called ‘baaaad cover art’. :rolleyes:

dont see why people are panicking about the album not being released in the uk as it will be on here one minute after its officially released.
who would win in a fight.
bonfire of teenagers v bonfire weekend.
I know. It's as if people actually buy music these days. No need to panic! It'll be available on all your favourite world wide streamers with heavily compressed, flattened out audio for your listening pleasure.

Wonder if Capitol agreed to sign Moz on the condition that they
get to re-issue those old records or if Moz agreed to sign only if
Capitol re-issue the old records.
Seems like an important part of the deal.
turk i think it was probably M who wanted this as part of the deal.think he wants every album to get a bit of a makeover.
bonfire night tonight,do i wear my smoking jacket or a blazer,heehee.

Folks never mind Veronica... Bonfire at this moment in time would be some release... Moz drop it on Spotify tomorrow and watch the reaction... Missing a moment methinks
Maybe. But if the song ever does see a release here, which I think is doubtful, it is too 'off message' and no doubt would be characterised as more evidence of 'nasty, far right Moz'. Especially the use of the word 'morons' to describe those singing along to Oasis. The story in the media this week has been all about the failings of the emergency services, nothing about the bomber. We seem determined in the West these days to obsess about how shit we are, and how terrible our history is. And while we obsess about that, the rest of the world is on the move, risking their lives to get here...

It’s struck me that the release of this record may have deliberately been delayed pending the end of the inquiry into the Manchester attack, which is roughly now. Perhaps a UK label deal will arise now that things have come to their conclusion.

It’s struck me that the release of this record may have deliberately been delayed pending the end of the inquiry into the Manchester attack, which is roughly now. Perhaps a UK label deal will arise now that things have come to their conclusion.
Don't get me wrong. I would love to see BOT released in the UK as a single and as an album - and (God forbid!) for it to be played on the radio! But I would be surprised if that ever happens. We all know Moz isn't far right, and we all know BOT isn't a far right song - but that is how it will be portrayed by the media. You could almost write the reviews in the NME and The Guardian now - 'the old curmudgeon returns with a dog whistle for the far right'. Lazy journalism, but such are the times we live in. No record company will want to get mired in that. Moz just doesn't sell enough to make it worth their while. I hope I'm wrong. I really do hope I'm wrong. A scrap of optimism is all we have left these days.

The sad thing about this is the lack of a UK deal (so far) means no radio play here - a crying shame given that both "Veronica" and "Rebels" would fit perfectly on the Radio 2 playlist these days.

(Always assuming they deigned to look past the "controversy" of playing a record by Morrissey, even one with entirely neutral subject matter!)

The sad thing about this is the lack of a UK deal (so far) means no radio play here - a crying shame given that both "Veronica" and "Rebels" would fit perfectly on the Radio 2 playlist these days.

(Always assuming they deigned to look past the "controversy" of playing a record by Morrissey, even one with entirely neutral subject matter!)
I am Veronica is made for the radio!

What a refreshing post. I couldn’t agree with you anymore.
When the performer in question can‘t bear to look at or use present photography of themselves you know it’s game over.
Its all about tatty merch, gimmick songs and sell out trickery/smoke and mirrors in a pathetic attempt to say to the record companies “look at me, I’ve not been cancelled”.
This dog was chained up years ago LOL

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

No but you seem to go on their fan websites. in your own way carrying the torch.
My eldest says "haters who go on the fansites of the object of their hate are f***ing loser lovers"

I'm normally very tentative about putting eggs in one basket, but I don't see this as quite the same as SER & the Trojan Records nonsense from a while back.
Firstly, it denotes L.A. - which makes sense.
They then went further than the record deal and mentioned reissues - which mildly implies a conversation at the very least.
Further, Morrissey's social media may well be powered by a hamster in a wheel, but (the various incarnations of) Capitol have quite a robust social media team - who will have seen the media articles & spikes in interest and had more than enough time to distance themselves from it.
Regarding 'Brexit' and legitimate digital purchases in Europe (and Japan for that matter): myself, I've seen no change in what I can and can't purchase.
Regards,
FWD.

(Should the information change or he suddenly signs with Watt etc, happy to be wrong, but the face value of current information probably isn't as uncertain as its being made out to be).
What you say is true but it doesn't negate the worry I personally feel. I hope my worries are proven wrong
Usually, the record companies are happy when they sign an artist and announce it in a trade mag etc (see BMG with Sparks and Suede) or after the artist announces it has been signed, there is something of a fixed release date and letter from the PR department
I see none of these - and it's a week later.

M also mentioned a "first single" months ago, where the feck is it?
He has mentioned a couple of times now that WPINOYB is being re-released, it wasn't
He has mentioned older lps being re-released, they weren't

It seemed to me, this new statement was more about trying to sell tickets to these gigs
I hope Im wrong though and I do not think he's racist. I think he went too hard on the wind up peddle- I know he's lost loads of fans in SoCal as well as UK, I don't care I love him

If he would have did this in the Smiths it would have affected sales , if it would have happened in the 90s it would have been pretty much, as it is now.If not worse.
Shit he didn't wind up so hard back then and he still lost fans and was without a record deal for a while
As I say, I hope the LP is released, I long to own it and not have to listen to it with a wanker in a NY loft

Long LIve King M

You could say Capital could distance themselves from it but they could also think "who cares what tricks this limey fag get up to, don't waste you time "
(I've heard a few Americans in the industry call him a limey fag )

Moz should do an interview on GB News in the UK. Andrew Doyle, for example, would give him a fair hearing. Or maybe even 'Talking Pints' with Nigel Farage? Now that would be something to see. In fact, Morrissey was mentioned by Andrew Doyle on his programme 'Free Speech Nation' on Sunday. Morrissey is mentioned very briefly in a discussion about Jerry Lee Lewis, and separating the artist from his art. Morrissey is mentioned at about 19'05''. The full segment on Jerry Lee Lewis starts at about 15'35''. It is sad though that Moz's name now seems to come up repeatedly in any conversation about artists who have committed crimes.

Nah
I wish Morrissey wouldn't give a shit about record companies and old media and just go the
"I had it all and i walked away" approach.
Then release records on his own website ( a good one, not the shit m central one) he should then give interviews to mostly Pod casters and f*** the media right off.

That's what I wish, it would make him look much more "im not a dog on a chain"
It would be a legendary move.
He should have done this after his contract with BMG was up. Got a great website, did the odd interview, drop the odd live video , "lost demo" recording etc
Then released the lp himself. He makes most money touring anyway, so just get a team for that
Going forward he should create a great site - maybe with its own forum, do a couple of interviews with pod casters , one with Mojo (for example)
THEN keep his mouth shut.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom