Regular Morrissey media mentions

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
That is, mentions that aren't really strange or unexpected, but end up in the thread of the same name. Perhaps more humdrum coverage could go here.

To start, in this review of Everything But The Girl's new album, Fuse, by Vulture zine, a passing reference is made:

"The early albums were all attempts to either eschew or adapt modern rock-radio trends to fit their own tastes. 1984’s Eden followed Paul Weller’s Style Council through folk and smooth jazz; 1985’s Love Not Money served a slicker, poppier (Morrissey-approved) take on the dour, catchy sound of the Smiths; and 1986’s Baby, the Stars Shine Bright coated soul songs and pop ballads in enveloping orchestral arrangements."

Here's one I think fits - 200 songs that turn 40 this year, in chronological order, including This Charming Man.

Thanks j*e*t. I think that fits too. The list of songs is in one of the comments. The Smiths song is close to the end, at 182. Compiling that must have taken some time. A nostalgic enjoyable listen : )

Here's a reference I found, from the Brooklynvegan folk:

"Toronto melodic hardcore band Mil-Spec are ready to follow their great 2020 debut LP World House with a new album for Lockin' Out this year. Most album details are TBA, but they did just release lead single "The Days Don't End."...The song comes with a video directed by Ethan Hibionada that was shot in Guild Park, a statue garden in Scarborough, Ontario, and in Scarborough Bluffs, a public waterfront park on the shore of Lake Ontario. It pays homage to both The Beatles' "Paperback Writer" video and Morrissey's "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" video..."
- https://www.brooklynvegan.com/melodic-hardcore-band-mil-spec-prep-new-lp-share-the-days-dont-end-video/

When I open this thread, a message appears underneath about a similar thread:
Morrissey / Smiths in the media (Steven Soderbergh, Russell Brand, Stephen Street, radio mentions)
- davidt Feb 4, 2013 General Discussion archive 2013 (read-only)

So that's closed to contributions, and most fitting the description now seem to be going to the strange/unexpected thread.
Is there a reason for that?

Meanwhile, some fond memories of seeing the Smiths 40 years ago -

And Morrissey scored high in Lady Fan Account's best singer poll on twitter -

Conversation

Lady Fan Account
@Lady_FanAccount

Who is the best singer? The two most voted will qualify for the next round Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) Andy Bell (Erasure) Morrissey (The Smiths) Morten Harket (A-ha)
  • Dave Gahan
    48%
  • Andy Bell
    8.2%
  • Morrissey
    32.2%
  • Morten Harket
    11.6%
1,405 votes·Final results

1:30 AM · Apr 28, 2023
11.1K Views

Last edited:
Here’s a cute Smiths podcast by some young fans going through their history from earliest days. Sometimes awkward but they are real fans and have some interesting insights.

I've gotten about 2/3rds of the way through that podcast and will go back for the rest. A lot is familiar but they manage to keep the chat engaging. It's possible that by now, I know more about Morrissey's life than I know about my own!

A blog post listing 15 'facts' about Morrissey's healthy eating habits -
https://wynterswellness.wordpress.c...-morrisseys-relationship-with-healthy-eating/

Okay overall, barring what I suspect are a couple of creative confabulations :confused:
Since when, exactly, has Moz been an "avid runner"? As far as I'm aware, he eats mainly carbs; pasta, potatoes, bread..washed down with either tea, Peroni, or vodka.
That article of 'facts' is just utter nonsense. "What is fact is not fact".

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when, exactly, has Moz been an "avid runner"? As far as I'm aware, he eats mainly carbs; pasta, potatoes, bread..washed down with either tea, Peroni, or vodka.
That article of 'facts' is just utter nonsense. "What is fact is not fact".

haven’t read the article, but he was on track in school, so they could be confused(?)

Why would they put that "picture" in the article o_O

And he "avoids alcohol"? Plus the "avid runner" indeed... did they confuse him with Johnny Marr??

yeah I'm not sure how true quite a few of those claims are...

he spoke out against pesticides and promotes organic foods? That's news to me lol but could be true I suppose
Considering the rest of the article, it very likely isn't true.

haven’t read the article, but he was on track in school, so they could be confused(?)
There's also the athletes in List of the Lost.
Considering the rest of the article, it very likely isn't true.
I'm pretty sure that part's true. It would tie in with Morrissey's conscientious eating and care for living beings. A review of the 2011 Hop-farm Festival he headlined in Kent referred to him as This Farming Man!

Being present, I recall him addressing the crowds, either as the day's line-up opened, or at an interview then, praising natural growing around the area and how traditional farming methods were being continued. So the writer is correct on this, and on most points, though I did wonder if the song interpretation was right, but didn't check it out properly.

Has Morrissey's relationship to health been explored elsewhere? Rarely if ever, I think? Yet many many articles and interviews about him include the statement that he's saved people's lives. Which is to do with health. Dickie Felton's chats with fans are probably the closest anyone's got to revealing how this dynamic plays out. There's more to be said about it.

Unfortunately, here's a whiff of the usual baloney it's our cross to contend with for slightly longer, until perceptions are rectified - https://www.theringer.com/music/2023/5/10/23714711/the-cure-best-songs-ranked-tour

Unlike this handsome promotional write-up on Kevin Cummins' latest art, which includes a fleeting Moz mention:

"...Cummins predominantly photographed rock bands and artists in the 1970s and ’80s, capturing the likes of David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Morrissey, U2, Sex Pistols, The Stone Roses, and of course, Joy Division. Now, an iconic portrait of Ian Curtis, Joy Division’s lead singer, guitarist, and lyricist, takes center stage on a limited-edition tee.

Releasing as part of Dover Street Market‘s Photo London activation (which also sees the release of the Cecilie Bahnsen x ASICS GEL-NYC collaboration), the T-shirt comes alongside Cummins’ own book, ARCHIVUM. The book features more than 50 black-and-white prints of the group Joy Division and will be signed by the photographer, while the T-shirt is even rarer..." - https://hypebeast.com/2023/5/applie...ision-dover-street-market-photo-london-tshirt

Last edited:
There are now about 8 articles posted here.
If they are 'regular', then they should all have individual entries in the General thread - which is how they've been presented for 20+ years.
Why?
As referring to them specifically in the Wiki by topic & URL is possible. Referring to an entire thread of mixed articles won't help anyone searching for specific information.
People are free to debate thread structure in the feedback section, but please post general Morrissey posts in separate, individual posts that only invite discussion about that particular topic.
You will be helping people now and in the future - thank you.
FWD.

There are now about 8 articles posted here.
If they are 'regular', then they should all have individual entries in the General thread - which is how they've been presented for 20+ years.
Why?
As referring to them specifically in the Wiki by topic & URL is possible. Referring to an entire thread of mixed articles won't help anyone searching for specific information.
People are free to debate thread structure in the feedback section, but please post general Morrissey posts in separate, individual posts that only invite discussion about that particular topic.
You will be helping people now and in the future - thank you.
FWD.
Thanks for your response, FWD.

I have no problem posting each item as a separate individual entry in the General Threads, except for the huge amount of similar sundry items, in contrast, that are dropped into the Strange and Unexpected Refs thread.

I don't object to the existence of that thread per se, which started out reflecting the title, but now anything and everything amasses there, mostly no longer strange or unexpected.

I am unwilling and unable to compete with your genius at sourcing material, especially from the main social media platforms which I don't frequent. We are all indebted to your truly impressive and masterly dedication and constancy. Thank you.

But if I am to refrain from adding minor news items to a thread I feel has a more appropriate title, how does it help people now and in the future for others to continue to post what to me also seem like general Morrissey posts, in a group thread i.e the Strange and Unexpected Refs thread, which, as you fault this thread for, overrides provision of separate individual posts, and presumably then, also obstructs the invitation of discussion about that particular topic only? 🕊️:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom