registrar wins right to refuse gay weddings

A Registrar won a tribunal decision.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/registrar-wins-right-to-refuse-gay-weddings-865042.html

Her employers, Islington Council, threatened her with disciplinary action over her request not to officiate at same-sex civil partnerships, due to her religious convictions. She successfully argued this amounted to discrimination against her on religious grounds.

"I am delighted at this decision," Ms Ladele said. "It is a victory for religious liberty, not just for myself but for others in a similar position. Gay rights should not be used as an excuse to bully and harass people over their religious beliefs."

Deborah Orr writes inthe Independent Newspaper her comment on this;

"... why did Ladele's religious beliefs not surface until civil partnerships became part of the mix? Had Ladele not already asked to be exempt from marrying people who had been married already, or had had children already, or had had sexual relations outside marriage already?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/deborah-orr/deborah-orr-if-this-registrar-had-christian-views-why-did-she-ever-take-on-the-job-865813.html

The decision is likely to be appealed.

This is totally disgusting, if she'd said she didn't want to marry mixed race couples would she have got away with that? It's another example of blatant homophobia, it really shouldn't be allowed! I hate the thing with religious beliefs, as if they're more important than anything else! Sorry, but I was listening to the any questions debate on this this morning and it really annoyed me then...

Someone was making the point that because the civil partnerships were not a religious ceremony then she can't really object.

I think it's okay for her to refuse, but she should accept that it's the law of the land and that gay people have the right to do this, so maybe she should find another job instead.

I think it's wrong that she won the case, and i think that she'll lose if it's appealed.

I think she is entitled to her religious beliefs.

But she is a registrar - she has a job to do and she ought to get on with it. Time to put away the book for a minute, and be rational about the situation. She ought to be sacked for this.

A Registrar won a tribunal decision.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/registrar-wins-right-to-refuse-gay-weddings-865042.html

Her employers, Islington Council, threatened her with disciplinary action over her request not to officiate at same-sex civil partnerships, due to her religious convictions. She successfully argued this amounted to discrimination against her on religious grounds.

"I am delighted at this decision," Ms Ladele said. "It is a victory for religious liberty, not just for myself but for others in a similar position. Gay rights should not be used as an excuse to bully and harass people over their religious beliefs."

Deborah Orr writes inthe Independent Newspaper her comment on this;

"... why did Ladele's religious beliefs not surface until civil partnerships became part of the mix? Had Ladele not already asked to be exempt from marrying people who had been married already, or had had children already, or had had sexual relations outside marriage already?"

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/deborah-orr/deborah-orr-if-this-registrar-had-christian-views-why-did-she-ever-take-on-the-job-865813.html

The decision is likely to be appealed.

f***ing Christians!
They always have to ruin everyone's fun.
Bastards!

This is totally disgusting, if she'd said she didn't want to marry mixed race couples would she have got away with that? It's another example of blatant homophobia, it really shouldn't be allowed! I hate the thing with religious beliefs, as if they're more important than anything else! Sorry, but I was listening to the any questions debate on this this morning and it really annoyed me then...

To some people they are. Not every is a liberal PC lefty.

Some people believe that they should beat their children to discipline them, should I condone that just to not be perceived as a "liberal PC lefty"?

*I was going to say beat the devil out of them, but you'd have said that was a straw man argument... the same principle applies though

Some people believe that they should beat their children to discipline them, should I condone that just to not be perceived as a "liberal PC lefty"?

*I was going to say beat the devil out of them, but you'd have said that was a straw man argument... the same principle applies though

I wasn't condoning it, I was just saying that, to some people, being gay is a sin. No need to go mental on me, love.

Well no, not everyone is a PC lefty, and religious people are entitled to their beliefs.

But she's funded by the taxpayer and so is effectively paid by a percentage of people who are gay in the community and is therefore working as a public servant.

If she doesn't like it then she should stick to her principles and work in another job which isn't funded through taxation. As a public servant she should serve the community which include gay people.

I think it's time that religious people appreciated the fact that their views are tolerated in an increasingly secular society...:p

Although laws like this tend to set a precident i doubt this will have much impact.Let her get on with it,there'll be plenty of other registrars that will perform gay weddings.Its a price we pay for a free society.

f***ing Christians!
They always have to ruin everyone's fun.
Bastards!

Yeah, what a pack of c***s! Let's stone the f***ers for 1 person's viewpoint :rolleyes:

It used to be that many vicars would not marry in church couples from divorces.A lot are changing their views.They had the right in the first place to refuse because it was their beliefs.As an aetheist it all seems daft to me.But if its their beliefs then who am I to say.I can think of worse things done in the name of religion than refusing a gay ceremony.

It used to be that many vicars would not marry in church couples from divorces.A lot are changing their views.They had the right in the first place to refuse because it was their beliefs.As an aetheist it all seems daft to me.But if its their beliefs then who am I to say.I can think of worse things done in the name of religion than refusing a gay ceremony.

Exactly. Like Mistletoe and wine by (LOOK OUT!) Cliff......:p

Just about every Cliff Christmas single, actually :p

Fortunately i have blocked most of them out...But i could crumble at any minute..:p

Fortunately i have blocked most of them out...But i could crumble at any minute..:p

Hahahah! I think his re-working of the Lord's Prayer in 1999 was atrocious....erm, what else... Saviour's Day :sick:.....

Hahahah! I think his re-working of the Lord's Prayer in 1999 was atrocious....erm, what else... Saviour's Day :sick:.....

You're trying to damage me....:mad: Is that what you want?...:p

Can only think of a few Chrimbo songs that have been any good. Fairytale Of New York was amazing, Happy Xmas (War is over) was good - even better if you could have a 'mute' Yoko..:) And i quite liked Band Aid - the first one.

Not sure that ol' moz was too keen on it though...:p

Red Ken wanted to force my borough to allow gay civil cermonies. He didnt have that power and he certainly doesnt have any now.

I dont object to them having the same rights as straight married couples (although I was infuriated by a story of a 90 year old woman, who'd been living with her sister for 40 years who wasnt allowed to recieve the house without inheritance tax, which a married couple would have avoided.)

When I see these gay couples doing in the style of a traditional wedding I just think a lot of them do it for the attention or just for the party.

I'm just quite ignorant of the whole thing and view it as an alternative lifestyle. I get the image of these gay men in Brighton, well into their 40s, still going out, doing poppers and bumming a bloke on the way home, while their 'partner' does the same.

You're trying to damage me....:mad: Is that what you want?...:p

Can only think of a few Chrimbo songs that have been any good. Fairytale Of New York was amazing, Happy Xmas (War is over) was good - even better if you could have a 'mute' Yoko..:) And i quite liked Band Aid - the first one.

Not sure that ol' moz was too keen on it though...:p

Fairytale of New York is brilliant. My favourite Christmas song ever. Lennon & Yoko I could do without :p

Back
Top Bottom