Regina Spektor's latest top album

Theo

Regina Spektor has a new album out called Begin to Hope which I'd like to endorse. It's almost (not quite) as great as her last one, Soviet Kitsch, an album I've yet to tire of. These latest songs are beautiful and catchy, with more of her playful vocal stylings and free spirit. If you liked the last one, you'll like this one, but it's not a total repeat - it branches out in new directions (although only in baby steps) signaling she intends to have a long and interesting career. On first listen I thought a couple songs were getting too commercial, such as "Better." Then I realized I quite liked that song and so what if it's radio-friendly - I wanna hear her on the radio. :)

Plus she remains as endearingly oddball as ever, for example singing about hearing the really long guitar solo of "November Rain" on the radio twice because the DJ fell asleep, then jumping to some touching words about life and love and how it works.

When she performed on Conan's show last week Conan made a big to-do, walking over to her piano and anouncing it was the best performance he's had on his show in a long, long time. I agreed. She performed "Fidelity," which I think I prefer live to the produced version, but in either case I can't imagine anyone disliking it. The chorus reminds me of The Cardigans.

Needless to say it makes me tingle to hear her sing "Come into my bed I've got to know know know you" on "Hotel Song."

Only concern: She mentions cocaine and ODs so much on this album I wonder what sort of crowd she's fallen into. Ah, whatever, she's too lovely and smart to become an addict.

Last edited:
And now I am playing Regina Spektor's BEAUTIFUL live EP, "Live at Bull Moose." This one's kind of tricky to find since she only released it to a selection of independent stores, so either go to her web site or to the Amazon marketplace. It's well worth it. Recorde at a record store with Johnny Cash albums looking on from over hear shoulder. She even sings a capella, and the version of "Carbon Monoxide" is actually superior to the Soviet Kitsch" version.

Yes, I think she's my favorite young recording artist these days. What I particularly like is how intimate and warm yet lively and unpredictable her music can be. Beyond the music, she's a charming, real, down to earth person in general. If you're sick of asshole pop stars and all their bullshit, she's could be your breath of fresh air...at least until stardom ruins her. :)

Last edited:
realitybites said:
Hiya. I love her new album. I posted a journal entry about it, addressed to you, a while back, lol.

June 12 journal entry

Oh, wow! I should've been reading the journals!

I finally found a Best Buy that stocked the deluxe edition so I don't have to order it online. It comes with an extra 5 song EP and all 5 are good songs!! Have you heard that? The way she sings the "Uh" in "Uhmerica" is pretty entertaining. Plus they went all out on the cover art/packaging. :)

With those extra 5 songs I can now say she outdid her last album.

We played her new album in the store today. I expected to cringe but I didn't.
It's alright from what I've heard so far, but I need to concentrate on it. Perhaps I'll enjoy it.

Theo said:
Oh, wow! I should've been reading the journals!

I finally found a Best Buy that stocked the deluxe edition so I don't have to order it online. It comes with an extra 5 song EP and all 5 are good songs!! Have you heard that? The way she sings the "Uh" in "Uhmerica" is pretty entertaining. Plus they went all out on the cover art/packaging. :)

With those extra 5 songs I can now say she outdid her last album.

Ah, I need to check out the deluxe edition.

Also, I am gonna see if I can find her Conan performance on YouTube.

realitybites said:
Ah, I need to check out the deluxe edition.

Also, I am gonna see if I can find her Conan performance on YouTube.

It's slightly annoying that they're not stocking the deluxe version at most stores.

A couple of those 5 bonus songs are pretty strange. 'Music Box" is about how life inside a music box isn't easy and you're yearning to get out and sing another melody different from the ones you always sing, but then she starts singing about doing the dishes and sticking her tongue in the soap. I dunno! It works though. And then there's "Uh-merica," which I'm not sure what it's trying to say, but something about guns in America, probably negative. "Cuddling my semi-automatic, what a very fuzzy feeling/ Oh...there's nothing like emptying a cartridge at the sun/Uh-merica......" But you really have to hear how she does the "uh" part! But yeah, those 5 songs are for her fans who like her at her quirkiest. :)

I also highly recommend "The Noise" from the live EP mentioned previously (if you don't have it), which is so f***ing pretty.

Anyway, I'll think of you the next time I play the album. :)

Theo said:
But you really have to hear how she does the "uh" part! But yeah, those 5 songs are for her fans who like her at her quirkiest. :)

I also highly recommend "The Noise" from the live EP mentioned previously (if you don't have it), which is so f***ing pretty.

Her quirkiness is what I love most about her. I'll definitely try to listen to these tracks. Thanks for that info.

Theo said:
Anyway, I'll think of you the next time I play the album. :)

I am really touched to hear you say this. And I will think of you also. :)

The 5 song EP is more like "Soviet Kitsch" - sounds like she's playing on a piano right next to you. Plus the booklet has a bunch more pictures...not that I have a crush or anything......

Since everytime I visit here I hear people banging on about how great she is I went and had a listen to her, and I actually thought her new songs sound great, I will have my eye out for her new album next time I go shopping. If all the songs sound as good as fidelity then I know I need to own it.

marrymemorrissey said:
Since everytime I visit here I hear people banging on about how great she is I went and had a listen to her, and I actually thought her new songs sound great, I will have my eye out for her new album next time I go shopping. If all the songs sound as good as fidelity then I know I need to own it.

Cool. Yeah, the whole album is great!

I just bought the album today, I love the whole thing, I felt in the shop I was buying it mainly for those first two songs, but getting it home for a proper listen and now I feel very satusfied with the purchase.

marrymemorrissey said:
I just bought the album today, I love the whole thing, I felt in the shop I was buying it mainly for those first two songs, but getting it home for a proper listen and now I feel very satusfied with the purchase.

The album before this, Soviet Kitsch, is awesome as well. Glad you like the album.

I saw her live at Nottingham rescue rooms a few weeks back, the day England got knocked out of the world cup. I thought after that I wouldn't be in the mood for it but it was one of the best gigs I've been to in ages. Great atmosphere and the humour of her music really comes through a lot better and the audience really appreciated it. Yet to hear the new album as I'm skint but heard many of the songs live, really excellent.

Back
Top Bottom