Redbrick: "The Smiths: There is a Band That Will Never Die Out" (November 3, 2019)

Smiths-queen-is-dead.jpg

TV Editor Catrin Osborne discusses the legacy of The Smiths as a quintessential university band.

Excerpt:

"Within the ephemeral online culture of Gen Z (those of us born after 1996) has risen the phenomenon of posting explicitly depressive statements which draws parallels with many of Morrisey’s lyrics. No song by The Smiths exemplifies this better than ‘How Soon is Now?’. A song that pairs Johnny Marr’s jangly guitar with Morrisey’s lamentations on the experience of a failed night out where he concludes ‘And you go home and you cry / And you want to die’. This juxtaposition between joyous instrumental and sorrowful lyrics seems as popular now as it was when it was released. Dubbed ‘sadfishing,’ young people are oversharing their emotions online in the modern age and this is reflected in a lot of popular music. However, there is nothing new about Billie Eilish singing ‘I wanna end me’ over a fast-paced, dance beat. The Smiths did that over a decade before today’s students were even born."

https://www.redbrick.me/the-smiths/

Regards,
FWD.

well, I know I’m not in my 50’s.

Are you sure which of your many online guises on this site is really you?

Trill's hyper-ventilating. He's confused. I've never seen him so worked up.
If he means Moz, he's in his 60s not 50s.

Nice. Paying homage to The Smiths

Oh...wait...er...

The bastards. How could they?

:p

It's going to be fun watching the drones comment on this. It will go like this:

"Nice. Paying homage to The Smiths"

"Oh...wait...er..."

"The bastards. How could they?"
No skinny it will go like this..... crap thread really... so as usual most of us will start taking the piss with each other, then get nasty and personal,, Morrissey will be branded a racist... let’s face it that’s why most of us come on here for a good f***ing Barney, and to insult each other... come for folks we f***ing love it...

And this is regurgitation of the apologist argument. You went to a lot of effort to say nothing new.

No it's not skinny, it was the article which 'went to a lot of effort to say nothing new'...infact most of the latter section was archaic & let's be quite frank, drivel, & you know it.

Did you source it for the forum?

Even if he did say those things, is it absolutely necessary to bring it up in EVERY GODDAMN ARTICLE on Moz and his music? It’s just rehashing ad nauseum. Surely even Moz’ most adamant critics must find this a bit boring by now?

Even if he did say those things, is it absolutely necessary to bring it up in EVERY GODDAMN ARTICLE on Moz and his music? It’s just rehashing ad nauseum. Surely even Moz’ most adamant critics must find this a bit boring by now?

Good points.
Sadly the haters relish anything negative.

He did say those things. And yes. That’s how we know he’s a racist.

He did say those things. And yes. That’s how we know he’s a racist.

my name is Peter Finan & I’m a self-repeat machine

Etc etc etc

The Smiths are and always be Legendary, and young people who discover them, day after day.

university-college, errr no , John Peel get's the credits for playing them from start till long after the split,

sorry for this of topic new

Smiths

Etc etc etc

Said the anonymous poster without fully understanding the concept of irony.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom