Redbrick: "The Smiths: There is a Band That Will Never Die Out" (November 3, 2019)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Nov 4, 2019.

By Famous when dead on Nov 4, 2019 at 12:41 PM
  1. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

Smiths-queen-is-dead.jpg

TV Editor Catrin Osborne discusses the legacy of The Smiths as a quintessential university band.

Excerpt:

"Within the ephemeral online culture of Gen Z (those of us born after 1996) has risen the phenomenon of posting explicitly depressive statements which draws parallels with many of Morrisey’s lyrics. No song by The Smiths exemplifies this better than ‘How Soon is Now?’. A song that pairs Johnny Marr’s jangly guitar with Morrisey’s lamentations on the experience of a failed night out where he concludes ‘And you go home and you cry / And you want to die’. This juxtaposition between joyous instrumental and sorrowful lyrics seems as popular now as it was when it was released. Dubbed ‘sadfishing,’ young people are oversharing their emotions online in the modern age and this is reflected in a lot of popular music. However, there is nothing new about Billie Eilish singing ‘I wanna end me’ over a fast-paced, dance beat. The Smiths did that over a decade before today’s students were even born."

https://www.redbrick.me/the-smiths/

Regards,
    FWD.

• Like Like x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Famous when dead, Nov 4, 2019.

1. snoddywilko
      snoddywilko
      Your comment is redundant as we are all anonymous here.

However, some of us use only one account/username, unlike others like Peter Finan/you.

The only real question is: why do people who claim to despise Morrissey spend their entire waking existence on a website for fans of the man & his music?

There is obviously a huge void left in Peters life that he’s unable to fill in any other way.

Tragic.

(update: unsurprisingly, yet another troll rating from Trill; funny how he objects to any post where I criticise Peter Finan/himself. There’s no way on Earth they’re the same person. Ha ha )
      Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
      • Insightful Insightful x 2
      • Troll Troll x 1
    2. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      The only on topic entry on this site for 3 pages.
      The Smiths weren't a university band,they were a generational band from every walk of life.

There is a site and I hope it dies out
      There is a site and I hope it dies out
      a site, a site la la la la la la...........
      • Like Like x 2
    3. PuppetParrot
      PuppetParrot
      Currently posting as Radish noir.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. PuppetParrot
      PuppetParrot
      Skinny is always predicting nobody will show to the Moz performance and then its jam packed.
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Morrissey's left nut
      Morrissey's left nut
      Pity that mental gymnastics aren't actual gymnastics, otherwise you'd be ready to compete on an olympic level.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    6. GodEmperorMorrissey
      GodEmperorMorrissey
      • Troll Troll x 3
    7. marred
      marred
      Homophobic prick^^
      • Troll Troll x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. GodEmperorMorrissey
      GodEmperorMorrissey
      Mind your business clown. That homo has been trolling my posts like a creep. I called him out rightfully
      • Troll Troll x 3
    9. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      These trolls don't like full accurate answers.
      The like to send but not receive.
      Post was a great response imho.